Next Thread
Print Thread
#460600 10/18/08 04:11 PM
D
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
D
I just wrote about being allergic to chocolate -- I'm not, thank goodness, but my husband seems to be. It's severe enough that I can't even bake around him (hence making the brownies today, while he's out having fun with our son).

Probably people who can't eat chocolate won't be reading this (why torture yourself hanging out in this forum?), but I was just wondering if anyone had ever dealt with this kind of allergy, either in themselves or a loved one. Any tips?

I've been learning a lot about the difference between a food allergy and an intolerance, for instance; and that sometimes what you're allergic to isn't the chocolate, but an ingredient in it.

Deborah Markus
Chocolate Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
H
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
H
My daughter is but only in the way I am to strawberries. We can tolerate them in moderation. An overabundance causes us to break out in hives.

"A question's richness can only be measured by the answers it evokes." ~ Me

"My atheism does not define me. I define my atheism." ~Me
D
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
D
Hives, ouch. I'm sorry -- but at least it sounds as if you know how to make sure you avoid them, while still enjoying favorite foods.

You know, the more I read about food allergies, the more I wonder if I had them as a child. I used to have asthma, hives, eczema -- and from what I'm reading, those are often linked to childhood food allergies, especially dairy. I guess they didn't know much about that back then (I just turned forty), because I don't remember it being discussed even as a possibility. I was just the kid who was always sick.

I'm so glad that we're learning more about allergies now -- but it's a shame that this knowledge seems to be coming along largely because food allergies are becoming so widespread.

I'm sure your daughter already knows this, but high-quality chocolate (especially dark) seems to be a better bet for allergy sufferers.

Deborah Markus
Chocolate Editor
D
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
D
"a better bet" -- sorry, meant "the best bet" (as in if she's going to eat chocolate, she should go for the good stuff!)

Deborah Markus
Chocolate Editor
H
H
of cOurse,.. its not bad to eat chocolates, but in case you do have allergies when eating, just try not to eat too much of what you can endure.. because too much of a good thing is bad.. and dont forget to consult you physician..

A
A
I have never heard of chocolate allergies. I am shocked reading these postings.

Top cell phone ringtones for mobile freaks
C
C
It's a new topic to me. It seems food allergy is going everywhere!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.