Next Thread
Print Thread
L
lala21 Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
L
When I move into my new condo next Spring/Summer, I'm going to want to get some nice big green plants to liven it up a bit. I don't know very much about plants so here I am! wink

First and foremost I'd be looking for something that is NOT poisionous to children or pets.

Secondly, I'd want something that is fairly low maintenance but still looks nice. Something that maybe doesn't need a whole lot of direct sunlight, as I don't know how the place is going to be set up just yet. Something that is a year round type of plant. Something indoor, obviously.

I don't know if plants would bother someone who is asthmatic at all, so that might be a problem. But I like plants that are rich in colour - dark green, with maybe a little yellow lines or speckles, or just big leafy plants.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
K
Parakeet
Parakeet
K
Hello lala, and congrats on your new place. One thing to remember when purchasing your houseplants, place them according to lighting. Low light plants can stand a north facing window, med. light plants can take west or south windows and bright light plants are good in southern and western exposure windows. Here are a few low maint. plants to have in your house (which is a good thing) considering they clean the air:

african violet, coleus, corn plant, dracena, any palm (although the low level of humidity) usually kill them in households, prayer plant, mother-in-law's tongue, hawaiian schleffera and the wanderin Jew. Two of my absolute favorites (although poisonous) are croton and rubber tree plant. Maybe if they are put up high, they can be used in your decor. They are very beautiful in a household.

Hey, why not add a few spring bulbs in containers for the beautiful scents for winter and spring while you're at it? Well, good luck and happy harvest.

Last edited by Kimmie08; 10/13/08 06:22 PM.

Kimberly C. Cannon, Former Bulb Gardening Editor
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Most 'poisonous' plants are really only poisonous if you were to sit and eat the entire plant 5 times over. Yes this includes Poinsettias. And all those bulb plants can be considered poisonous too, daffodil bulbs adversely affect dogs in a very un-pretty manner. Unless you'd like Polluck's #6 on your carpet.

Other plants to try are peace lily's or spathyphyllum, bamboo plants are a type of dracaena so keep those in mind as well as pepperomia, jade, aloe, and bromeliads. Also spider plants and english ivy.

If you have a cat that insists upon eating your plants why not grow wheat grass or catnip so that munching isn't just a horrible thing.

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

Moderated by  Sue - Houseplants 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.