logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#451259 09/10/08 11:37 AM
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Hi! I just started soap making and the like yesterday. So far, I'm having a lot of fun. I prefer hand milled soaps, so, I'm experimenting with herbals and the like.

I'm running into a problem, however. The soaps I've made all are foamy on the back. A set of four Cinnamon & Vanilla soaps has a settled layer of cinnamon, then the peach of the colorant, than a very soft pink layer of foam. The Milk & Honey ones did something similar in that the first set is extremely soft (and foamy!) and the second set... I haven't taken out of the molds yet, but they're foamy!

Do I need to let the glycerin base cool before adding everything? Not quite sure how to fix the problem. I know it happens when whisking it....

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
"[Kryssie] plans to take over the world one banner at a time"
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Hi Kryssie:
Glad to have you here!!

1.The first thing I would ask you is-- are you spraying with rubbing alcohol (isopropyl)? The alcohol will disperse bubbles between layers. Spray the minute you pour that layer. But if that does not work go on to plan be --

2. It could be that the melt and pour soap needs to be cooled a bit more before pouring. Also over stirring can cause bubbles in the mix. I have found that using a wide spoon instead of a whisk and waiting for the soap to cool to lukewarm a smoother soap. Plus, lets not forget that adding too much fragrance per pound of soap can make the soap do funky things like separate and foam up.

Editor, Soapmaking site at Bellaonline
Soapmaking Site at Bellaonline

Soap making kits, DIY bath and body kits and customizable labels.
PerfumeKits.com
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Thanks!

I almost set my oven on fire last night, so I tried another batch and waited for a while longer before adding all the stuff and the soaps came out beautifully!

Thanks, Winsome! :-D

PS: Oven is just fine. Dinner was not ruined. Soapmaking = stress relief. :-)

Kryssie Mackey

Jilly:
"[Kryssie] plans to take over the world one banner at a time"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.