logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Old fashioned American Icing

If any of you guys have a recipe for this could you help me out and post it here?

I will be eternally grateful.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Hi Fay - how nice to see you once again!

I had a very old recipe for "7 Minute Icing" that my Grandmother and Mother used to make and I cannot find it anywhere! I did find a link to a recipe that looks the same - why don't you give it a try and let me know how it turns out? This is a thick, fluffy icing that holds up better than buttercream and is soooo good!

Here is the link:

www.baking911.com/decorating/cakes_boiledicing.htm

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Yes it's nice to be back! I have had a lot of troubles to deal with...not least moving home!
Also my computer settings make it difficult to log in sometimes.
Well never mind that...thanks for the link. I wonder if this would work with Merriwhite or other meringue mix because in UK you cannot use raw eggs in any form for commercial purposes.
I will give it a try and see what happens smile

Fay

Good luck, Fay - and many blessings. Hope all turns out well for you, in life and in the icing.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Here's the Buttercream Frosting my Mom always uses on her wedding cakes

3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 2 tablespoons milk (if necessary)

In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
Add vanilla and beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding milk if needed for spreading consistency.

The only problem is it doesn't give a true white color because of the butter. So if a bride wants a truly white cake - she will either use the 7 minute frosting (which is my fav anyway!) or roll a white fondant over it.

There's also one called Royal Icing - but it uses egg whites, too - but in the instructions I found, you can subbstitute powdered egg whites.

This is from Food Network: Food Network Royal Icing
"*2 large egg whites (or substitute powdered egg whites)
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Combine the egg whites and confectioners' sugar in a medium-size mixing bowl and whip with an electric mixer on medium speed until opaque and shiny, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the lemon juice, this will thin out the icing. Beat for another couple of minutes until you reach the right spreading consistency for the cupcakes."

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Thank you all loads. I have the Royal Icing recipe anyway. the buttercream is great on cool outdoor ocassions but becomes real messy in a warm room. (especially one full of partying guests). I am going to try the 7 minute one later...it sounds good!

Fay

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I just talked to Mom and she said what you can do for warmer climates and outdoor weddings is substitute shortening for the butter and add a teaspoon of clear butter flavoring.

It tastes just about the same (not quite as rich) but hoods up much better.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Fay,
This is a long reply, but here are four basic �American� frostings. The first is the one that is used most often to frost cookies and cakes, but I find it has a gritty texture due to the powdered sugar and is extremely sweet. Even though it�s referred to as �buttercream,� it isn�t true buttercream. True buttercream starts with a sugar syrup that is cooked and beaten into egg yolks, then the butter is whipped in. True buttercream is by far the most decadent, but it�s a little more work.
The cream cheese recipe is an uncooked buttercream, but it is less gritty due to the cream cheese.
The fluffy white frosting is similar to 7-minute frosting, but is much faster and easier. It has a texture similar to soft marshmallow cream and isn�t too sweet. This recipe works better for me than the classic 7-minute frosting which sometimes goes sugary. I double it for a large cake.
Hope these recipes are what you are looking for.

Basic Uncooked Buttercream Frosting

4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/3 cup butter, or use shortening if a white color is necessary
1/2 teaspoon vanilla, or other flavoring

Beat the powdered sugar and milk until smooth; add the butter and vanilla and whip until spreadable, adding more milk or powdered sugar as necessary.

True Buttercream Frosting

1/3 cup water
2/3 cup sugar

4 egg yolks
1 cup butter, softened

2 tablespoons flavored coffee syrup, or vanilla

Place the water and sugar in a saucepan; cover and bring to a boil. Boil, washing down the sides occasionally, until the mixture is fairly thick or it forms a soft ball in cold water.

Meanwhile, while the syrup is boiling, place the egg yolks in a large mixing bowl and beat until thick and lemon-colored. With the mixer on high, slowly pour the syrup into the egg yolks. Continue beating at high speed until the mixture has cooled, scraping the sides occasionally. Beat in the butter, one piece at a time, until the mixture is thick and smooth. Add flavoring to taste.

Variations:
Chocolate: Melt 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips; cool, then fold in the finished frosting.
Cream Cheese: Beat in 4 ounces very soft cream cheese with the butter

Note: you can flavor the mixture with liqueur, extracts, or coffee syrup.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, (1/2 cup)
4 cups powdered sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons whipping cream, or milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Beat the cream cheese and butter until mixed and soft. Add the powdered sugar and enough of the cream or milk to make it spreading consistency. Stir in the vanilla.

Fluffy White Frosting

2 cups sugar
2/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt

4 unbeaten egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine the sugar, water, cream of tartar and salt in a saucepan; cover and bring to boiling; uncover and stir until the sugar dissolves. Place the egg whites in a mixing bowl; while the mixer is running, slowly pour the sugar mixture into the egg whites. Beat until the mixture has cooled and is fluffy. Add vanilla and frost cake.

Karen Hancock, Quick Cooking Editor
Quick Cooking Website
Quick Cooking Forum

Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Brilliant! Thanks so muck Karen these will go in my book too.

Fay

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.