logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Gecko
Gecko
I had said that I was not going to put out a feeder this year but after I saw the little guys trying to drink from some red silk flowers, I decided to hang one.

I was reading an article on the subject yesterday and it said that you should put out old bananas or fruit peels along with your feeders to draw fruit flies because hummingbirds like to snack on them. That was a new one to me! We have plenty of gnats and tiny biting insects for them to eat without having to put out fruit fly bait.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I hadn't heard of that either, but do know that hummers eat the little insects they find in flowers, and feed them to their nestlings too, so it makes sense to provide some fruit flies on your feeder. I would guess that a simple smear of banana on the feeder would do the trick, it doesn't take much to attract fruit flies!

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
I know the hummers check out all the flowers sp they may be looking for more than just nectar - interesting. I toss some vege and fruit trimmings over the side of the deck. I notice that they are gone each day - I don't think the fruit flies even have time to arrive.

Gecko
Gecko
Angie, I think you are attracting some four legged critters along with your hummingbirds! We got the bright idea to start a compost pile because we were throwing away a smart amount of potato peels, carrot scrapings, etc. that I figured we could make use of rather than tossing them in the landfill. We couldn't figure out why our pile never got any bigger until one night we happened to see a family of possums enjoying the leftovers.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Cute! Bambi and Thumper live in my yard but the birds are also eating what they want. We very well could have possums too. I have one tomato and cannot figure out what is going on with my tomato plant. It looks beautiful but it is not bearing fruit. Perhaps the fertilizer is not right.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
The problem may be a lack of bees to pollinate the plants! If you have plenty of flowers on the plants, but no fruit, then pollination could be the problem.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I saw my first Humming bird in 61 yrs ;o) it was feeding off my hanging plant

Rosie L
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Well, there are flowers but they disappear and no fruit develops. Perhaps it is pollination. How do I attract bees or do I need to do the fertilizing myself? How do I do that?

Yes thats what it was pollination, I couldn't think of that
Thanks

Rosie L
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Originally Posted By: Angie
I've put out the hummingbird feeders and they do come around but I decided to try flowers instead. They are still coming and they stop at several places on the deck. I found I couldn't keep the feeders either full or if several days went by, clean. They get grungy looking. When I took them down to clean them, there would be mold. It gets very hot here. I often wondered if the sugar water fermented and if it were hazardous to the hummers.

Yes, the sugar water will ferment and it can harm your hummers. You have to keep your feeders clean and the nectar fresh.

If you live in a hot climate you should change the nectar in your feeders at least every other day.
If you have a lot of hummers, like I do, you won't have to worry about the nectar fermenting because it will be gone in about 30 minutes!
But if you don't live in a warm climate or have a lot of hummers, just fill the feeder 1/4 to 1/2 full and watch to see if the nectar is disappearing.
Hang feeders near trees in shady areas.
Try to get a feeder that has perches. They feel more comfortable with a perch.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.