logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#439548 07/30/08 05:27 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Has anyone noticed any difference in size between Susan Bates and Boye crochet hooks? I've been looking for a size 0 steel hook, but the stores don't have it. (I'm not paying 4x's its cost in shipping charges to order one) I see the Boye equivalent is a D aluminum hook. But, I prefer using Susan Bates aluminum hooks. (although I cannot find a Susan Bates website) So, I'm wondering if there is a sizing difference between the brands? (I know there is in clothing...but hooks?)

Thanks for any thoughts,
Daphne

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
After reading your post, I pulled out my hooks and did a visual comparison. I have a size D in Susan Bates and a D in Hoye, surprisingly, the Susan Bates is slightly smaller than the Hoye (approx. 1mm smaller!). I compared a Hoye size O with a Hoye size D and they are the same, although comparison charts say a B is the same as an O. Therefore, I have successfully confused myself smile

So, obviously I'm no help whatsoever LOL

W
W
tiredI am a senior using all the hooks available to me, Boye, Bates, Hero, Lee Wards, etc., there are many many out there, and so many are made not in the US as well.
I will say, I don't think there is truly much difference in the SIZE of the hook, just the way the hook itself is on the shaft of the article.
I find that the Boye, and Hero hooks have a slimmer neck, I use mostly thread, and the shaft seems to be more refined as to the shape?, than the Bates hooks, seems as tho the hook itself is just there on the shaft, and not much shaping involved. I spose I have confused you even more, but after working all these years with all hooks, aluminum and steel, I find I have my favorites by far. they are Boye, and Hero for the thread when I can find them. The newer hooks, steel, are fatter in the shaft area, making it harder for the thread to move smoothly from hook to crochet and so it turns into a real JOB, if you get my drift in that regard.
Good luck in your realizing this, and can gauge your hooks accordingly, perhaps you will want to find "sets" of the kind(s) you prefer, and be sure to have what you want.

Warm regards,
Shaddy
M
M
I have a Susan Bates "Knit Check" that shows that has all of the sizes for both knitting needles and crochet hooks. It shows that there is a size 0 Susan Bates knitting needle which is 2mm. The smallest crochet hook on this Susan Bates guide is a size B and is 2-1/4mm. My preference is Susan Bates because of the way that the head is machined. The slot is more defined and does not split soft yarns. I also crochet alot in fleece and flannel and the Susan Bates have a more pointed head and it goes more easily into the fabrics. Now we can all be confused (smile).

MarleenCrochets
www.edgerydoo.com
P
P
I am looking for a Lee Ward steel crochet hook #9. I have the set and lost one, need to finish a tablecloth. Can anyone help? I would gladly pay and also shipping. Thank you. Can't afford the Ebay prices.

Moderated by  Holly - Crochet Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.