Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#409570 04/21/08 01:13 PM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
I have a small patio that has a wide ledge around it. I will be able to put several oblong planters on the ledge and want to attract hummingbirds. Beside my nectar feeder, what plants are best for hummingbirds? I want to be able to capture them with pictures to use as models for my drawings.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
J
Hi Phyllis! Pretty much any red flowering plant which produces nectar will attract hummingbirds, especially if they are trumpet shaped. For smaller containers on your ledge try some bright red petunias or red columbine. Red Salvia is also a good choice, and some of the drawf nasturtium or snapdragon will also do well. Having the hummingbird feeder close by as an added plus, and if there is a place where the hummingbirds can perch while being able to both watch 'their territory' and not be easily seen you will have created the perfect habitat.

Jessica Carson
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Phyllis and Jessica,

If you're considering some small shrubs for your planters, I had great luck attracting hummingbirds with Butterfly Bush. They loved it and you'll get butterflies as well. Also, the scent is lovely. Lantana is another good plant for a container. The birds and butterflies love it and it, too, is sweetly scented.

OP Offline
Jessica, you have some really good ideas, thanks. I did not think of providing some perches for the little birds. Thanks, Helen. I love the Butterfly Bush, but I don't think I will have enough room on the patio railing for that. My patio wall is 5' high and the railing is only 6" wide. I will have to use some planters that are long and narrow and only about 8" deep, so there will not be enough soil for larger plants. I will probably have to just get some smaller plants like lobelia and petunias, salvia, snapdragons (the small ones). I am tempted, though to try the Butterfly Bush. smile

Last edited by Phyllis NatAmEd; 04/29/08 12:16 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Phyllis,

You could always put a separate container for the butterfly bush. One about 12 inches or so across should be enough for 1 bush, then stand it in a sunny corner. It would be lovely with the other colorful flowers above it. wink

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I love hummingbirds, they should be here in a few weeks!! No sighting yet though!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
I have such pretty flowers on my deck this summer - I picked up two hanging baskets of "millions of blooms" - one yellow and one red. The blooms look like the shape of the flowers on the humming bird feeders. The hummers love the and come around frequently during the day. They also stop by the hibiscus and petunias which are nearby. I just need to water them well each day.

P
P
I've also had many hummingbirds at my red Impatiens planters. They do love bee balm and canna, but those are too big for patio planters. As everyone noted, red blossoms with trumpets are the little hummer's favorites. Inexpensive feeders with perches will also attract them. They love to rest while they feed.

When you dream, dream BIG.

Shark
Shark
We have a hummingbird feeder on our deck, and it attracted hummingbirds throughout the days in the spring. But for the past 6 weeks, they've abandoned it! Is it because it's summertime, and the flowers are blooming? They're getting their nectar from natural sources? (which is better than refined sugar water!).

I love those little birds. We have blue ones and green ones. They sound like a little helicopter when you get close, and seem fearless!

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
I've put out the hummingbird feeders and they do come around but I decided to try flowers instead. They are still coming and they stop at several places on the deck. I found I couldn't keep the feeders either full or if several days went by, clean. They get grungy looking. When I took them down to clean them, there would be mold. It gets very hot here. I often wondered if the sugar water fermented and if it were hazardous to the hummers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.