Page 1 of 2 1 2
#411397 04/25/08 08:59 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi all,

I've just posted an article about Michelangelo. He was a true Renaissance Man; painter, poet, architect and engineer. But what he loved most, throughout his life was sculpture. So Michelangelo, His Sculpture looks at his life and his favorite work.

What is your favorite work by Michelangelo? I have several, but I think David is my absolute favorite.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
Amoeba
Helen,

I have had a crush on David my whole life - he is beautiful!

Michelangelo was a very unique individual. I love all his works. Thanks for the article!

Phyllis - Native American and Folklore Editor
Native American Site
Native American Forum

Folklore Website
Folklore Forum

Blessings and may your moccasins and heart always find a happy path.
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
My pleasure, Phyllis,

I know just how you feel about David! When I was 21, shortly after graduating from college, a friend and I went to Italy for a week. We had both majored in art so you can imagine the sense of awe we felt standing in the Academia in Florence in the presence of the Original!

Parakeet
Parakeet
Il Davide is perfect. I was enthralled when I saw the original. But the one that made me feel deep emotion was the Piet� . The folds of the marble on the skirt of Mary seem almost as if they are moving slightly in a breeze.

Last edited by kristen houghton; 07/30/08 07:43 PM.

"Allow your dreams to become your plans."

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Author and Relationship Writer
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Amoeba
Amoeba
Ah! The Pieta is very emotional. I often marvel about the way an artist can get such detail into a sculpture. Did you get to touch the sculptures Helen and Kristen? I can imagine the beauty of the actual work soaking into me if I was able to touch them.

Last edited by Phyllis, BellaEd; 07/30/08 08:08 PM.

Phyllis - Native American and Folklore Editor
Native American Site
Native American Forum

Folklore Website
Folklore Forum

Blessings and may your moccasins and heart always find a happy path.
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
No, one can't touch those sculptures or any other priceless works of art, they are positioned so that the public can't get too close to them. (The oils from people's fingers would end up discoloring and damaging them.) Although a few years ago a deranged man managed to climb up into the niche where the Pieta is displayed and beat at it with a hammer. He did some damage that has been repaired, but ever since then the sculpture has been displayed behind bulletproof glass.

Claybird #439598 07/30/08 10:14 PM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Well, I am not deranged...and I realize that it would not be a good idea for people to just touch them whenever they want. Can you imagine what those beautiful works of art would look like if everyone who saw them touched them? It would be devastating. I was just kind of fantacizing there, I guess.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Please Phyllis! I did not mean to imply that you are deranged for wanting to touch a work of art! Most of us want to, which is why they have to be protected. But to try to destroy a priceless work of art by smashing it to pieces with a hammer cannot be considered normal behavior in any way.

Some pieces of art have been available to touch for centuries, though. There is an ancient bronze statue of St. Peter just down the aisle from the Pieta in St. Peter's in Rome, and it has been the custom over the ages for people to rub his toes while praying for a blessing. The toes are worn down nearly smooth and shiny bright, and there is a sense of connection with centuries of supplicants when you touch them. Every one had carried a molecule or 2 of bronze away on their fingers, and I did too.

Claybird #439702 07/31/08 09:46 AM
Parakeet
Parakeet
Yes, Claybird, I rubbed the S. Peter statue also.

My husband and I also rubbed the right breast of the staute of Juliet at the home in Verona, Italy where it is believed the real life Juliet of "Romeo and Juliet" fame lived. It is worn to a satin smoothness from all the lovers of the world who do exactly what we did.(there was a legend of Romeo and Giulietta from centuries before Shakespeare wrote his immortal story. They did marry, did not die, and eventually, separated. She went to a convent and he became a soldier. I researched this for my thesis and it was very interesting!)

"Allow your dreams to become your plans."

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Author and Relationship Writer
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I didn't touch the Pieta or David. The Pieta, even back when I saw it was behind a rope or something. David stands on a pedestal which is taller than me, so it wasn't an option.

I did touch the sculpture in St. Peter's that Claybird refers to, though. But to tell you the truth, I'm a very visual person, just seeing things in person is all I need for the full experience, I really am not driven to touch art work.

Last edited by Helen Wharton; 07/31/08 10:45 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.