Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#439592 07/30/08 09:39 PM
Lynn_B Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
One of the things we're clearly dealing with in our 9 yo is dysgraphia. Jury's still out on other issues (which is highly frustrating, but I guess it does take time to score all the evaluations the psychologist gave--for everything it seems like).

Any good resources for dysgraphia? I find a lot of info on the web about what it is... and then they sort of just drop it. At the suggestion of the psychologist, we've picked up "Writing without tears" and have added keyboarding exercises into our daily routine because handwriting is just driving us nuts.

Suggestions?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Lynn_B #439613 07/30/08 11:16 PM
S
S
Hi Lynn.

I can't say that this is specifically for dysgraphia, but I do know that one of the techniques used by Montessori schools is to have kids practice 'writing' letter with their fingers on cut-out letters made of sandpaper.

The idea is that the added stimulation of the sandpaper will trigger additional memory cues.

You instruct the child hand over hand on 'writing' for the first few times, then they practice on their own.

The other thing I try occasionally with my little guy with Aspergers is to get a stencil and have him practice writing using that tool. Any time he gets to handle something, he's happier.

Hope that helps.
Ciao
Anna

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.... John Lennon

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
S
S
Just find more info that you may find useful from Wikipedia:
Wikipedia - Dysgraphia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysgraphia#Treatment

Quote:
Treatment

Treatment for dysgraphia varies and may include treatment for motor disorders to help control writing movements. Other treatments may address impaired memory or other neurological problems. Some physicians recommend that individuals with dysgraphia use computers to avoid the problems of handwriting.

Occupational therapy could be considered to strengthen muscle tone, improve dexterity, and evaluate eye-hand coordination. Dysgraphic children should also be evaluated for ambidexterity, which can delay fine motor skills in early childhood.

Often small things can help a student with dysgraphia, such as allowing them to use a preferred writing utensil or allowing them to submit typed work instead of hand written documents.

Suggestions for teachers and parents:

1. Use small pencils (a typical pencil cut in thirds) golf pencils, or trianular shaped pencils all promote a functional grip. Jumbo pencils are useful for individuals with tremors or some types of cerebral palsy.
2. Ensure solid handwriting instruction has taken place. The student should be able to tell you how each letter is made using the same vebiage as his teacher.
3. Before the student begins to compose a paper, have them engage in prewriting activities such as webbing, or verbalizing what they will write about.
4. Use pre-lined paper that has yellow highlighting where the words are supposed to go
5. Allow students extra time to complete in-class assignments; otherwise they won't get the benefit of the instructional practice
6. Get students keyboarding early on
7. Allow students to use laptop or other computer for class work
8. Allow children to dictate to an adult; they can then recopy if necessary
9. Allow children to dictate into a tape recorder; they or an adult can transcribe later. This allows the creative output process to occur without being stopped by the execution problem.
10. Have compassion and know that this issue has nothing to do with intelligence or behavior.

Reading it reminded me of a couple of other things we've tried - coloured pencils made a big difference, amazingly. Also, giving him something to look at as a guide was a big improvement too, and not just for writing.

His teacher sent home a colouring book that had full-colour stickers of each page in the colouring book. He loved it. It seemed to calm him right down and he actually stuck with the task of colouring and didn't mind coming back to it later, since he didn't 'lose his place'.

Hope that helps
Ciao
Anna

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.... John Lennon

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Lynn_B #439870 07/31/08 08:09 PM
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Originally Posted By: Lynn_B
One of the things we're clearly dealing with in our 9 yo is dysgraphia. Jury's still out on other issues (which is highly frustrating, but I guess it does take time to score all the evaluations the psychologist gave--for everything it seems like).

Any good resources for dysgraphia? I find a lot of info on the web about what it is... and then they sort of just drop it. At the suggestion of the psychologist, we've picked up "Writing without tears" and have added keyboarding exercises into our daily routine because handwriting is just driving us nuts.

Suggestions?

I found some helpful resources that are linked from the articles below - including one that is specifically directed toward teaching children with special needs using Handwriting without Tears.

Printing and Cursive Handwriting
for Children with Special Needs

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website
Lynn_B Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Thank you!

Moderated by  SNC_Editor_Pam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.