logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#439177 07/29/08 10:30 AM
T
OP Offline
T
OK, I have been having a problem with hives ever since I started on Cytomel. I was afraid of telling the doctor cause I did not want the T3 meds to stop. However, now I am still having many hypo symptoms and am wondering if the Cytomel is the culprit.

What else could a doctor put me on if they take me off? Also do you think perhaps it could be why I am having so many symptoms?

Teresa

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
Teresa,

Is the Dr. treating you with T-4 and the Cytomel is added to it? I ask because it isn't common to be treated with T-3 only unless you have a disease in your body or chronic stress causing low T-3 syndrome. They sometimes call this type Wilson's Temperature Syndrome and Euthroid Sick Syndrome and T-3 is used to correct it and usually is only needed temporarily.
I have heard of permanent hypothyroidism being treated with Cytomel-only but is rare because although it is sometimes claimed that T-4's only purpose is being converted into T-3, it actually also helps with metabolism in the body at the tissue level. Some Dr.s are reluctant to treat with T-3 only because it can cause an imbalance in the T-4 to T-3 ratio.
In regard to hives, these can occur with autoimmune hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's) but there is that possibility that you have a mild allergy or sensitivity to it. The alternative would be trying a generic or being switched to a med with T-3 in it that's natural (Armour). If hives continued after a trial of a different one that would likely mean it's the autoimmuity and not the thyroid hormone medication.
I suffer mild hives but after being switched from Armour to Thyrolar for about six weeks my hives continued and we then knew mine were from the Hashimoto's. My hives occur mostly in my underarms but can spread to my stomach if I'm overheated from working outdoors in hot temperatures, etc...
Other than possibly needing a brand change that has both T-4 and T-3 in it, unresolved hypothyroid symptoms could only be from under-treatment otherwise.

Jim Lowrance
Thyroid Health

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.