Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#438503 07/26/08 01:52 PM
L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
my repulsion for everything children that is.
I was watching Stargate atlantis last night and Tayla(sp?) was having a dilemna about returning back to active duty after she had a baby because of the danger of her dying. It just disgusted me and I was wondering how much more of this sappy storyline I can take. Then it hit me--the reason I am so turned off by the whole children thing is because (and this is MY OPINION here--not preaching!)I see children as making you weak and vulnerable. Again, MY OPINION, but I think whoever claims that having a child makes you stronger is lying to themselves! It is bad enough being in love is a chink in the armor, (I happened to marry a man who can take care of himself and me in that regard)--but to have to be responsible for the very life of a young weak vuknerable human makes you weak and vulnerable and I just can't stomach giving away my power that way.
I guess I am power-hungry. Power does have a prominent place in my life choices. And powerlessness is repugnant to me personally. wow. revelation.

Se non potete resistere al calore, allora esca dalla MIA cucina.
LadyLvsNyt
Sponsored Post Advertisement
I like your revelation. We need a radio show. I think the entire process makes women weak and vulnerable. I'm not saying we should be hardened, insensitive individuals; but, why do we ALL have to be mothers?

L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
I think you can nurture without having to 'mother' something. The two actions are not synonymous--even tho this society tends to use them that way. I care for a lot of life forms that I didn't give birth to---pets, plants, my husband (LOL)... and I care very deeply and passionately. I can even care for nonanimated possessions passionately---like my favorite vase and the antique bookcase or my string of pearls...
To me nurture means to allow to grow, to care for on the terms of the one nurtured. Mothering means to bend to my Will or good intentions of what I think is best for the one mothered. It is natural to mother a child, but to mother your best friend or your mate could be an abuse of their rights. In my opinion.
I certainly do not need mothering. I might need care and comfort. But again those are not synonymous except in this child-crazed world we live in.
Just me. Thinking out loud.

LadyLvsNyt
I like this, too. It made me sad to see Teyla get pregnant and have a baby. I can't have kids because I am a cop, I can't afford to become weak like that. I'd much rather die than watch myself become something I am not. It's bad enough that I love my SO, and I don't need another weakness, I need to be a strong person.

I can nurture occasionally, but oddly enough, my guy is the nuturing type.

I really agree with you on this...Seriously. It seems like becoming a mother drains whatever spine you had from you.

... I saw a fox by the rabbit hole, you saw a prince from a fair tale ...
... He promised that he'd watch over you, turned out to be the fox we all knew ...
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I am intrigued about the power idea you've presented. I think it underlies a lot of the posts here: we want to have a quiet dinner at a restaurant it we want, we want to have our homes tidy if we want, we want to make the career choices we want. For me it's definitely all about wanting to have the freedom to make choices of all sorts. These can all be linked to wanting to control our lives, to power. Perhaps that's why we represent so much of a threat to parents? We have more power than they do?

Parakeet
Parakeet
In this instance, I suspect the line between power and freedom is very thin. Parents envy the freedom the CF have to go and do things on a whim and they feel powerless to do comparable things. Their children (particularly when very young) leave them virtually imprisoned in lives of their own making. It must be a very frustrating experience.

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
There are definately things that women give up when they choose to have children (Or rather - SHOULD give up. *laughing*). It's like getting married - you surrender a little bit of yourself to someone else's control. Because every decision you make no long effects only yourself but another human being as well.

And at an even deeper level than with your husband - a fully-grown and autonomous adult. Because with a child your every decision fully impacts their life.

I wouldn't say it takes away my spine (I'm no coward for sure!)so much as it takes away my independance.

It's a good point - a very good point. Interesting observation.

Angela <><

Angela England
L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
no I would not say it takes away a woman's courage as I have seen mother's defend their children defying impossible odds of survival. But it does put the mother in that position to start with, when without that defense mechanism the situation would not even arise. It limits the power you have over making independant choices. That is why it is not for me.

LadyLvsNyt
A
Gecko
Gecko
A
Originally Posted By: LadyLvsNyt
no I would not say it takes away a woman's courage as I have seen mother's defend their children defying impossible odds of survival. But it does put the mother in that position to start with, when without that defense mechanism the situation would not even arise. It limits the power you have over making independant choices. That is why it is not for me.

Exactly. ANY TIME you choose to bring someone else into your life in a permanent, committed fashion (ie through parenthood, marriage, or taking care of an aging parent, etc) you limit the amount of control you have over your own life and choices.

Now, all of a sudden, any decision you make effects someone else - not just yourself.

Angela <><

Angela England
L
L
Good note LadyL.
For me its similar, but its more around the gender stereotyping that happens with kids. Women have to become that weak, caring, nursing, stay at home and cook type. Id rather die than become this 1950s default housewife type.I feel empowed too and have total equality - at home and in the workplace.
I do think its connected to your lack of power statement.
Thanks
Lise

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.