logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#392232 03/13/08 03:11 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I have a beautiful Keiki growing from my Phalaenopsis, and I finally decided to cut it off last night because I noticed that after the plant had pushed out a Keiki AND put out flowers on one spike, the leaves looked droopy. The Keiki has two nice leaves and one root about 1- 1/2 inches long. It also grew two of its own spikes that actually look like buds might be coming out!! Anyway, I really really want it to survive. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!! How much water etc!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
PAL Offline
I'm going to guess from your post that you have a species phalaneopsis, perhaps an equestris. I can only tell you what I would do if it is, indeed, a Phal. equestris. I'd plant the keiki in sphag moss so as to control the moisture. Keep it damp at all times.......not wet, and don't let it go completely dry. New roots should start to show up soon.
Hope this helps,
Al

Al
PAL #409569 04/21/08 01:09 PM
L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
Did you say that the keiki has two of its own spikes? If you cut the keiki off of the mother plant and pot it up, be sure to cut those spikes off the keiki, as well. If you don't, the poor thing will still be trying to develop flowers when it should be spending all of its resources on root growth.

Lisa Beth Voldeck
Houseplants
PAL #409680 04/21/08 04:13 PM
A
A
Originally Posted By: PAL
I'm going to guess from your post that you have a species phalaneopsis, perhaps an equestris. I can only tell you what I would do if it is, indeed, a Phal. equestris. I'd plant the keiki in sphag moss so as to control the moisture. Keep it damp at all times.......not wet, and don't let it go completely dry. New roots should start to show up soon.
Hope this helps,
Al

I would agree, though you may want to wait until the keiki has at least another root so it can survive on its own. Another option is to 'stake' it down in a smaller sphagnum-filled pot, while it is still attached to the mother plant, and only separate it from the mother plant once it has established itself.

Argus #433847 07/08/08 10:34 AM
N
N
It also depends on where phalaenopsislover lives - an equestris keiki would not survive in damp sphagnum where I live.
Does sound like equestris, though. They can make really nice specimens with many blooming keikis left on the 'mother'.

Moderated by  Anu D - Orchids 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/27/24 08:14 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.