logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#431144 06/29/08 03:46 AM
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
I am always going over in my mind the argument over the 2nd amendment.

It reads: A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Honestly, it seems to me that most people just ignore the first part... "A well regulated militia...." what happened to that part.

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Elephant
Elephant
the problem with the commas. The framers made it hard when they added that second comma. It is multiple statements in one sentence.

it reads:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right to bear arms shall not be infringed.

The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

If they wouldn't have had that argument in the middle of the sentence, there wouldn't be all this confusion. Only the military or militia would be allowed arms.

However, also when the right was added, the importance of the people to have arms so they could form militia at the drop of a hat in the cas eof attack or invasion, needed to be protected. The framers never could have imagined the world we live in 231 years later.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
C
C
It's a matter of typographical understanding, being that it's two phrases put into one.
OF course the bloody militia needs to be able to keep arms, but you have to remember that any 'militia' was made up of the common citizens-anyone who was willing to volunteer at the drop of a hat.
Everyone kept weapons in that time period, to hunt and offer security from the issues of the time.
However I am the child of a law enforcement officer and saw first hand what sort of idiocy our society accepts at 'normal' now. We always had loaded guns around because my father could be called in at any given moment. I learned handgun safety not terribly long after potty training, at least on a very basic level.
I honestly don't know why people get so offended by this whole issue. People are killed with all sorts of various and assundry tools and devices-yet because a gun has a firing pin it's the only one that people want to outlaw. People start fires with lighters, and burn down homes with their children inside. People stab with common household screwdrivers and knives. Guns aren't the problem, wicked vile indecent people are the problem. Killing happened at the beginning of civilization after all, and guns weren't invented yet.
I just don't see the problem people have with them, criminals don't get their weapons through legal channels anyway. So what would change if we outlawed the citizens that do follow legal channels? There is an intellectual disconnect somewhere here. Will my large screwdriver or baseball bat protect me from the thug that breaks in with a handgun? Not unless I am wonderwoman!

Orthodox homeschooling mom to 7, one with Rett Syndrome
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Well most guns are used for suicide, not murder. Also, my issue with guns are the accidents that happen. I would be happy if we simply required some training and education regarding guns.

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

C
C
training and education should be a given, though sadly it's not. It was par for the course in my home growing up, we had gun training all the time...maybe that's why they aren't that big a deal to me now, and just considered a tool.
I think people who intend to commit suicide will find a way to do it, it's just that the gun would seem to provide a quick way out. Sadly they don't always factor correctly and end up alive but as vegetables. The problem there lies deeper than the tool used to complete their task. Our friend just lost his wife due to carbon monoxide poisoning in her garage, so people will find the easiest route (they think) out if they are intent on doing so.

Orthodox homeschooling mom to 7, one with Rett Syndrome
Shark
Shark
The framers also wanted to ensure the people had the rights they envisioned in the Constitution:

...to throw off such government by any means necessary.

If the newly formed republic sunk to the level of abuse exhibited by the crown the founding fathers wanted "the people" to have a means by which they could respond.

While we have problems and have had problems we can take care of them peacefully. Think about the vote count brouhaha in 2000. When one court said "stop counting" everyone stopped counting. When another court said "go ahead and count" people began counting again. When another court said, "if you re-count you have to re-count all votes or none at all," a decision was made to stop.

No one took to the streets with guns to try and control the count. But, if one party attempted a coup the people would have been able to respond.

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
The Second Amendment is supposed to mean that the people in the Militia will have the right to bear arms. It wasn't meant for ordinary citizens.

Back then the Militia was the Minutemen which today are the National Guard. The minutemen had to be ready to go in a "minute" to defend the land, hence the name.

It was these people, that the Second Amendment was written for. The people who were the minutemen and of course the people in the Armed Services as such as it was back then.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
I agree with you Vance, that is my point about the 2nd amendment, people are taking it out of context and no matter how I read it or where I put the comma's, I know that it was meant for the minute men and the armed services.

And of course you could have a hunting rifle.. but you know guns were very different back then too.

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

Elephant
Elephant
thats what I don't get. If you have the right to a gun for hunting, why not defence. You cannot have one or the other, it makes no sense to me.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
It is not illegal to own a gun. It is illegal to own certain types of guns in certain states. Most states do not let you carry them around either unless you have a concealed weapon permit or some other special permit and I believe that varies by state too.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.