Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Ooooooo, am I ever gonna pick your brain, LOL!
grin

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
W
W
Hi, Michelle

Try this one -
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
I just got that book recently and after finishing Dr Bakers book on meltdowns I am going to read that one. I thought my 13 year old would like it, but he is waiting on the new Warriors books that came out yesterday and Amazon has yet to ship my order.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
I use terms that I learned at the online course from Rosemary White and also from therapists that have worked with my son over the years. I have a few sensory books that I need to read once kids start camp next week and the house is quiet for a few hours.

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
I do want to know why my son is banging the walls with his hands and elbows and I tried it to see what feeling I get out of it. A lot of his symptoms seem to be OCD as well and he is turning 12 next Monday and he is in the throes of puberty.

AUTISM site
W
W
"I thought my 13 year old would like it,"

Bonnie,
It's not for children, I'm afraid. So I don't think he will like it.

Alex AS

W
W
"I use terms that I learned at the online course from Rosemary White and also from therapists that have worked with my son over the years."

Bonnie
That's how I started (learning from therapists) - 20 years ago! But very soon, I understood it was not good enough, and decided to start my own education in autism. The problem I've always had with 'oficial therapies' is they aim at behaviours, not the causes and understanding.

Alex

B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
I just put the Jumbled Jigsaw by Donna Williams on my wishlist and Autism and Sensing.

"Hi, Co-morbid mood, anxiety or compulsive disorders in those on the spectrum can become more extreme in the teens and early adulthood, the diet more unstable and more imbalanced"

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by Bonnie, Autism Editor; 06/25/08 03:14 PM.

AUTISM site
W
W
"I do want to know why my son is banging the walls with his hands and elbows and I tried it to see what feeling I get out of it. A lot of his symptoms seem to be OCD as well"

Bonnie,
Just a warning - when you try the same behaviors, it does not necessarily mean that you feel the way your son does.

As for OCD, I'm not qualified to assess which behaviors are OCD and which are caused by sensory perceptual differences ;o), but from what I've learned from my friends on the spectrum, self-injury is not typical for OCD. (There is a very good article by Ros Blackburn in Good Autism Practice about it.)

B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
In regard to OCD I am referring to my son touching various items in each room before he can move on. Years ago he would walk around the cracks on the sidewalk. As a child I could not handle any open cabinet in the kitchen and my father made a game out of it each morning and had them all opened as I went to close them and over again.

My son touches the egg carton box before getting his milk out and has to bang the microwave when he passes it and things like that

AUTISM site
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.