Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#425020 06/10/08 12:09 AM
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
My car is almost 9 years old and I know I'll eventually need a new one. No time soon, but in a year or two. (I do plan on driving the wheels off & just bought new tires today, so. . .)

So, what cars get the best mileage? Anyone have a hybrid? And, what's the best mileage car for the price? (I'm sorta cheap.)

Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
D
Ive been wondering the same thing! Go cheap people! smile

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Hybrids are not cheap and the dealers are not giving any breaks to sell them. They're being sold as they come off the delivery truck. I have a Toyota Hybrid. I'm still learning how to get the most out of it. Right now I am averaging about 33 miles to the gallon. The car gets good mileage on the open road. There is the Prius also. That's getting even better mileage.

My daughter and SIL have a Honda hybrid. They have loved their car since they got it two years ago. GM (I think it is GM who is putting out a hybrid also.

Should have mentioned that my other daughter has a 9-year old Civic and she figured she got 36 mpg. She has a standard shift though.

Also, I am told that if you substitute nitrogen for air in your tires you get better mileage also.

This impetus to drive vehicles with better fuel consumption is way over due, don't you think? Americans needed to do this 20 years or more ago.

Last edited by Angie; 06/28/08 06:02 PM.
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Supposedly, late 2010, Chevy is coming out with a hybrid called the Volt -- and it will have a 40 mile range on just electric. Apparently, most people don't drive more than that a day (barring long trips), so locally, you will drive, and just plug it in at night for a recharge. Long distance, the gas runs a generator that keeps the battery going, but it is better on gas than most cars.

I believe another company (can't remember which) is also working on getting something like that out, too.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Talking about my car, I'm still learning all the quirky things it does (I've only had it two months). It really gives me more information than I know what to do with. Today on the way home, I noticed (not only that I needed gas) but that there was something going on between my engine and battery. It looked like the battery was going down but then the arrow would go in both directions. I think it was just telling me that I was using less battery and more gas but I had not seen that guage before. I was a little nervous until I figured out what was happening!

S
S
Here is link where you can find cheap car................
www.usedgator.com

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Dataman aka SteveD
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
I have a 1993 Chrysler Town and Country minivan that has just over 215,000 miles on it and it still runs like a champ. When I fill up, I always keep going until the nozzle says "Thats it. You can squeeze no more in the tank."

On the highway, I can go 145 miles before the full bars to start to disappear and then I average about 26 miles per depending on how fast I go but even at 70 on the highway, I still get 21 mpg's. 70 is the highway speed limit in Michigan. Cruise Control helps quite a bit as well.

I drove from Central Michigan, about three hours north of Detroit to Upstate New York in Albany and it cost me 160.00 in gas for my 7 passenger mini van and that was driving through the Aleghany, Catskill mountains as I came down through Ohio and Pennsylvania and up to NY. Next to a 1976 Plymouth Volare I used to own, this is by far the best vehicle I ever bought.

You have to watch out about going out and buying a new smaller more economical cars because after paying the down payment, getting insurance with collision, and paying monthly payments for the new car, you really are not saving that much money in gas in the long run.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Amoeba
Amoeba
My old boss has a hybird. He says with all the maintenance he pays for having a hybird, it isn't like he's saving a whole lot. Good luck!

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Originally Posted By: SynergyVega
My old boss has a hybird. He says with all the maintenance he pays for having a hybird, it isn't like he's saving a whole lot. Good luck!

Yes, car payment and taxes hurt and I haven't had any maintenance yet. It was time for a new car and the hybrid seemed the way to go. I go to the gas station about once every 3 1/2 weeks.

Now our supermarket *similar to Kroger* is offering fuel perks = dimes off for every $50 you purchase. So far I'm up to 30 cents per gallon. Now, that is helpful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Steve - Cars 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.