Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#424693 06/08/08 05:52 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Well, thank you for that comment, ancientflaxman. "A better way" is what Kristen said above: Jesus loves everyone. I am not saying I do not love the people in the aetheist forum, nor am I not accepting them as people. I have friends who are agnostic and aetheist and a few relatives who are aetheist, I accept them and love them for who they are. But then, they do not ridicule my beliefs or call my Lord names. And I do not need "practice for real world", I have been on this earth long enough to have all kinds of practice. I just find immature people who ridicule others to be quite annoying and rude.

Like I said, everyone has a right to choose their beliefs and rather than harping or ridiculing someone for their beliefs, it is much better to confirm your own belief by being accepting of others, don't you think? I could never find it in me to ridicule someone just because they believe different than I do. I can accept people of all faiths and beliefs, yet I find it difficult to accept rudeness, insecurity which causes revenge and criticism of others.

Last edited by jettagal; 06/08/08 05:54 PM.

Use it or lose it is what I always say.

Jettagal
Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
ancientflaxman
Unregistered
A
Who can argue with that???

#424966 06/09/08 08:33 PM
Parakeet
Parakeet
Jettagirl,

I always wonder exactly what people get out of criticising or cruelly mocking what others believe. You are so right-it is more difficult to accept rudeness than totally different beliefs, (or non beliefs).

Too much energy is wasted on silly things.

Be happy with your faith and love what you believe. I truly think that is what God wants.

"Allow your dreams to become your plans."

Kristen

Kristen Houghton
Author and Relationship Writer
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
As an agnostic who saw that subject, and read the posts, I think that there is some misunderstanding. I have never bashed all Christians, although I am unable to "take it on faith" as they do -- but I do find some people who profess to be Christians, but then turn and do uncaring things to others (particularly if they are not of their brand of Christian or other religion) to be hypocritical. I have seen this, as well as Christians who think that atheists and agnostics have no morals or values -- which is dead wrong.

I was raised with good values, and that transcends religion. My mother is one of the nicest, most caring people you would want to know, was told by a born-again Christian that "You're more Christian than some Christians I know", yet she is agnostic. We behave in a nice way, because it is right, not because we fear punishment if we stray, nor because we hope for some eternal reward if we are good. The moral compass is internal.

I think, overall, atheists, agnostics and secular humanists tend to recoil from fundamentalism that is unthinking, and from extremism. It seems to me that extremists are at the root of a lot of the world's problems, and in the US, the bulk of the extremists (all that I've come across) have been Christian.

That said, I have met some people who value their religious beliefs, and are very accepting of my lack of religious beliefs. We don't have to believe the same things to have a good friendship. I can respect your belief, without agreeing with it.

Does that make sense?

J
OP Offline
J
I am not, nor did I intend to insinuate that all atheists and agnostics have no morals or values. If you read my post of 6/8, you will see that I have friends and relatives who are agnostic or aetheist and I love them for who they are because they do not criticize me for my beliefs - they are decent people with morals and acceptance of other people's right to choose. I agree with you that "I can respect your belief, without agreeing with it." However, the original point I was trying to make was not to try to get anyone to believe the way I do or to condemn ALL aethieists and agnostics nor to debate about whether ALL Christians are perfect or bad. This was not a debate of any kind and I will not get into similar debates that I have seen on that forum. Mature, amiable, intelligent debates, as I have noted earlier, can be healthy. My original intent was to express my feelings that the people in the aethiest/agnostic forum (and please, I am not saying ALL of them, only some of them) are very rude and critical and judgemental and sarcastic and seem to have nothing better to do than to "bash Christians" and make fun of my Heavenly Father and I highly resent this. You can debate on religions and faith and beliefs without being so rude and sarcastic.

Enought said on my part, I have stated my feelings and would also like to add that I am surprised that a site that seems to have so much to offer will condone such behaviour as I have seen in the aetheist/agnostic forum by a few people and the person in charge of the forum. I have read some of her articles and am thoroughly disgusted that she deems it necessary to "spread her poison" as she accuses Christians of doing in one of her articles.

Use it or lose it is what I always say.

Jettagal
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Jettagal,

They feel the same way when we go into their forum and start talking about God and our beliefs. To them it is poison that we are spreading. You cannot take it personally when they bash the Bible or make fun of God or your belief system. We are going into their atheist forum and talk about God and Jesus and how the Bible is the inerrant word of God so they get defensive.

They do not come into the Bible Basix or Christian Living forum and start spewing about atheism and evolution.

As I said in my previous post, I am one of the ones who have been called names and blasted by some in that forum and I do not take it personally at all. It is just them defending their "home"
from the "invaders" that is us, the Christians. Don't take it personally, Jettagal, shrug it off and go on. We know that God has a special plan for those who do not believe and for those who do not want to hear what we have to say and would rather shun us instead.

All you can do is pray for them like I have been and pray that they come to know Jesus before the Day of Judgment arrives.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Gecko
Gecko
I fully support anyone who stands for their Christian faith in any setting. I firmly believe in Grace. In my opinion, Grace allows us as Christ followers to love everyone. Even those who attack what our hearts tell us is the truth.

JESUS DOESN'T HOLD UP A STANDARD, HE HOLDS UP A MIRROR AND SAYS REFLECT ME!
Jenna Robinson
Bella Online Bible Basics
Gecko
Gecko
Vance and everyone,

You are absolutly right; atheists and agnostics have felt attacked forever. That is their forum and they feel free to defend it at all costs.

They don't come in here because I as the moderator of this forum will not allow the kind of inflamatory language in posts in this forum. I may not post alot but I am here everyday moderating the posts. Bella Online is a free form forum where everyone is allowed to express themselves, but I draw a line since a religious forum can be fuel for a fire just by being alive. I freely edit any post posted here. I think free expression can be done without having to attack anothers character or beliefs. I have been very lucky that you guys have always acted in a responsible, Christ-like manner.

Remember what I said about Grace and simply don't jump into the debate. I firmly believe God's Word speaks for itself... which is why it is controversial. We don't have to be right, we know that we are surrounded by a cloud of witnesses that go before us proclaiming the truth to every heart. The Lord is the focus, not us. smile

JESUS DOESN'T HOLD UP A STANDARD, HE HOLDS UP A MIRROR AND SAYS REFLECT ME!
Jenna Robinson
Bella Online Bible Basics
C
C
I think the dilemna arises because atheists and agnostics board exists primarily to argue against any belief in God, as well as to frequently bash those that do believe, and the fact that it's on our money and...the list goes on. To label oneself as either of those two groups means time is spent getting up in arms over the issue of God. It's not all they are about, to be sure, but it is a large part of their persons.

and to add fodder to that you have folks from any one of the over 22,000 denominations that have come about as a result of the reformation. That means you have a whole lot of 'flavor' and POV's that run contrary to the athiest/agnostic board. They show up on the board complete with Bible to beat over folks heads, and all their versions of what the scriptures say and it's quite maddening.

If you look at the behavior of Christ himself He was not up in your face, he freely offered what people were free to accept or reject. He never told his apostles to 'force' everyone to believe, or demand it hatefully. This is not how the original Faith was taught, so it's no wonder it's freakishly annoying when you get folks trying to prosyletize everyone with a pulse.
It's not us as people that convict others of right belief, it is the Holy Spirit-and ain't a one of us the Holy Spirit. We are just supposed to be willing vessels to live out our faith in daily action in ways that demonstrate the love of Christ. After all, He never hit anyone over the head with the scriptures...

Orthodox homeschooling mom to 7, one with Rett Syndrome
K
Parakeet
Parakeet
K
Hi, Jettegal, thought I'd jump in and remind you of something. The word of God is our sword and this is not only what we believe in but what we fight with. Keep in mind these scriptures: blessed are ye when men shall revile you and persecute you and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely for my sake...rejoice (Matt. 5:11-12) and "I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world" (John 17:14).

We are believers of Christ and in being just that expect persecution, isolation, ridicule and hatred. Just be sure you're living as a Christian and not in vain. My message to the whole board is obey Acts 2:38. Jesus is coming for the true believers not just the ones that say they are Christians. You must live the life and walk the talk. God bless.

Kimberly C. Cannon, Former Bulb Gardening Editor
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Sunnie - Bible Basics 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/11/24 04:36 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.