Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Skeptic #423303 06/03/08 02:51 PM
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
I apologize for going off on the evolution tangent but I was trying to show how the Bible is relevant to my case. I was trying to prove how the Bible is true by showing how the numbers are important as they were originally written in individual letters and then those letters came together to form one book. Letters written in different time periods because I was told that I cannot use the Bible here as a source for an argument.

Thats why I was trying to show that it is relevant because it is not fiction but I cannot explain it to anyone in here because you are all dead set against the Bible just as I am dead set against believing in evolution or anything else that you try to prove with science that goes against the Word of God.

If I were to go and research things about the flood and found that there are Christians or whatever say they believe that the flood never existed then their opinion doesn't matter because there findings are not in line with scripture.

Science cannot prove there was no flood if they dismiss the will of God nor can they prove evolution if they dismiss the will of God.

As a Christian, I cannot go against Scripture and I cannot go against the will of God or I am not a Christian. It is that simple. If I am to be true to my Christian faith, I cannot simply start believing something that goes against God no matter how many degrees a person has in Science. All of the degrees in the world still doesn't make a person right.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
>Science cannot prove there was no flood if they dismiss the will of God nor can they prove evolution if they dismiss the will of God.

Vance, try to look at it from a radically different view. Although I know a bit about Christianity from living in this country, I was not raised Christian, I was not taught that the Bible was the Word of God, and I was not taught that God exists. In fact, when I asked my mom what God it (I'd heard kids talking about God at school -- I was 6 at the time), she took a deep breath, and said, "Well, I believe God is the good in all people." I knew it wasn't what the kids were talking about, but figured I'd have to work it out on my own -- I could see it was an awkward topic for her.

That is the extent of my religious upbringing -- I have not SEEN the "will of God" and can not view the Bible as more than a story of a certain mythology, perhaps there are some historical things in there, but the interpretation of events is always suspect, simply because we all see things differently. My great-uncle wrote a story of his life, which, of course, included some things about my grandmother. He had some details wrong, or missing, because it was the story AS HE KNEW IT. It did give me a wonderful view of my grandmother than I had seen growing up -- not that my view of my grandmother was wrong, it was merely limited to what I had seen. And his views and information was limited to what he had seen.

I view the Bible as a collection of stories, just like that -- and between the fact that people view things differently, have different bits and pieces of info, and that it has been translated, retranslated, and mistranslated, I find it very hard to take it literally.

And if I did take it literally, I would not want to worship that God -- some awfully mean things are attributed to said deity. Not a part of my morals, ethics and values.

Like, to get back to the topic -- killing ALL the people except one family, all those animals and plants that weren't on the ark, even though there undoubtedly were some other nice people, and the plants and animals hadn't done anything wrong....

Ms A #423371 06/03/08 08:20 PM
S
Shark
Shark
S
Originally Posted By: Ms A
>

No, no, Sikpicksie, you aren't supposed to QUESTION those things... ;-)

Of course, since I don't believe in a literal world-wide flood, I would find it impossible to answer those questions!

We're not supposed to question those things because those that do believe in them find it impossible to answer them as well!

Sikpiksie

A religious war is like two children fighting over who has the strongest imaginary friend!
Sikpicksie #423392 06/04/08 12:06 AM
S
Shark
Shark
S
Originally Posted By: Sikpicksie
Vance,

If the biblical rendition of the Flood is true, then how is it that the Atrahasis Epic and the Gilgamesh Epic have very similiar deluge myths that actually pre-date that of the Hebrew?

Sikpiksie

Ok, so you can't answer the other questions...can you answer this one?

The fact that there are very similiar myths that pre-date that of the bible should be enough to make you wonder if perhaps you need to open your mind and stop having blind faith. If you are going to take this biblical story as literal and true...because it's in the bible and the bible is God's word... then you need to take all the Bible as literal and true, and that my friend is just not possible. Well it is possible, but then you would be jailed as a murderer.

Sikpiksie

A religious war is like two children fighting over who has the strongest imaginary friend!
Sikpicksie #423394 06/04/08 12:19 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Sikpiksie,

I have never heard of those two myths...

What mythology system are they from, and where can I find them?

Thanks!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Gilgamesh? Wasn't he on the Smurfs? lol.

Sikpiksie, what you don't understand is that as a Christian, I have to have blind faith. I have to have the "faith of a mustard seed" and I do. There are a lot of mysteries about God and the Bible. Mysteries and questions that I cannot possibly fathom and I am not supposed to because I have a "worldly" mind. I am only supposed to be able to comprehend tangible things. God said that all questions will one day be answered.

I don't know what you mean about me being a murderer if I took the bible literally as the Word of God. Lucy, ju got some 'splainin' to do.

Wait, if you are going to mention stuff in the Old Testament, don't bother because the Old Testament is the Old Covenant with God. When God came to Earth in human form as Jesus, He brought with Him a New Covenant. Jesus even said that the old laws no longer applied.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
S
Shark
Shark
S
Originally Posted By: WrestlingEditorVance
Gilgamesh? Wasn't he on the Smurfs? lol.

This puerile answer is the sort I would expect from you! I have given you every chance to discuss rationally but you are obviously either not interested, or not capable of doing so.

Quote:
Sikpiksie, what you don't understand is that as a Christian, I have to have blind faith. I have to have the "faith of a mustard seed" and I do. There are a lot of mysteries about God and the Bible. Mysteries and questions that I cannot possibly fathom and I am not supposed to because I have a "worldly" mind. I am only supposed to be able to comprehend tangible things. God said that all questions will one day be answered.

For the last two thousand years of church history, blind faith and literalism has helped fan the flames of Inquisitions, crusades, and all kinds of disputes over man-made dogma, such as: works versus faith, trinity versus oneness, eternal security versus no security, baptism versus tongues, and predestination versus free will, just to name a few. Millions of people have died and are still dying because of blind faith!

Quote:
I don't know what you mean about me being a murderer if I took the bible literally as the Word of God. Lucy, ju got some 'splainin' to do.

Wait, if you are going to mention stuff in the Old Testament, don't bother because the Old Testament is the Old Covenant with God. When God came to Earth in human form as Jesus, He brought with Him a New Covenant. Jesus even said that the old laws no longer applied.

Ohhhh! You're one of those people that picks and chooses which parts of the bible are relevant to today!

If God is really all-powerful and all-knowing and all-loving, then he can't possibly have meant to tell his followers to go out and engage in horrific acts that included murder, genocide and child abuse...to name a few... and then have changed his mind a thousand years or so later. Why didn't he just bring Jesus and the New Testament down right from the beginning. Waiting around to teach forgiveness after you've been teaching murder and mayhem sounds rather irrational and insane to me.

Sikpiksie

Last edited by Sikpicksie; 06/04/08 04:41 AM.

Gaye Crispin #423412 06/04/08 02:10 AM
S
Shark
Shark
S
[quote=Gaye Atheist/Agnostic]Hi Michelle,

Gee I'm glad you're okay. I was bit worried there.

The Epic of Gilgamesh link from wikipedia is below.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Gaye Crispin #423428 06/04/08 04:51 AM
S
Shark
Shark
S
[quote=Gaye Atheist/Agnostic]Hi Michelle,

Gee I'm glad you're okay. I was bit worried there.

The Epic of Gilgamesh link from wikipedia is below.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.