logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Hi all....I haven't been around for a while, but i couldn't wait to share this with people that would understand!

I had been looking forward to a co-worker's housewarming party that took place on saturday....I had kept the day totally open, spent the whole morning making a special dessert to share...and the party sucked! Two ladies brought their daughters (aged 1 and 5) and i swear we spent most of the afternoon sitting around the living room, staring at the children playing. The five year old was loving the attention, and she was jumping around, dancing, etc.

I hope this post doesn't sound mean, but i was bored out of my mind! Also, the baby was kinda creeping me out. She just sat there glaring at everyone while the other girl tried to force her to play pattycake!!

I guess I would like to know when to expect children at parties. Then I can be prepared, or just not go.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
It's really odd if the rest of the people turned into zombies just because two kids were there! Why would it be any different than having two dogs there, for example? Sure, you pet them once or twice - but then you go on with your conversation. Did people really not have anything else to talk about?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
That's strange. Personally, I would have just greeted the kids, maybe played with them for a few minutes, then I would socialize with the others.

N
naz Offline
Amoeba
Amoeba
N
Wow, that doesn't sound like much fun. I like it when people send out evites for parties and you can see who is coming and if they are bring their kids or not. I've actually used that to decide whether to go to parties or not anymore. I didn't attend a Super Bowl party this year once I saw five kids were going to be in this friends tiny condo.

Gecko
Gecko
This reminds me of a party I went to last year! It was for a colleague's daughter and it was good for a bit but then it got to the watching the kids all dance bit and then I decided it was time to head for home! I often find kids birthdays REALLY BORING too, lucky I've been to SO FEW! Someone didn't invite me once and thought I might be offended, I told them I didn't mind but I felt inside like RELIEF!

I leave the child-rearing to people who feel called to it. I've never felt that call.
B
Shark
Shark
B
That doesn't surprise me a bit. Last Memorial Day, everyone other than myself was joyfully engrossed in watching a baby slam a couple of spoons on the kitchen table repeatedly. Although I don't usually take calls at social gatherings, I was overjoyed when my cell rang and I had an excuse to slip out for awhile.

I also recall a party years ago where a toddler deliberately ruined a cake by shoving her drool covered hands in it to the sheer delight of everyone but me.

To each their own.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
My nephews are finally having children, in their late 30s and 40s. I am slightly dreading the holiday family get-togethers because it's skewing aaaall toward the girls.

The first time the oldest's parents brought her so her great grandfather could see her, my mom bingoed me repeatedly. "Trish, do you want to hold the baby?" "Are you sure you don't want to hold the baby?" "Isn't she gorgeous?" (with big goo-goo eyes at the baby)

Of course, she also asks me repeated if I want something to eat or drink after I decline.... so it might just be her modus operendi.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I am having trouble following that otherwise normal adults would just sit there and watch kids at an adult party. Sounds more like a play date.

Was there really nothing for the adults to talk about? What is with that? Did the invitees have nothing in common at all? confused

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
This describes every family gathering at my in-laws'. The adults sit around and watch the kids all day. The first (and only) Christmas we spent with them, we watched the kids open presents for 5 hours!

And if you're lucky enough to be female in that family, if the guys ever go out, you get to stay at home and stare at the kids all day! Yay!

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I would just go with the guys, myself. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.