Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#421816 05/28/08 09:26 AM
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Hello all,

just finished writing an article on russian domovoi - the spirits of the household. Here it is..

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Marianne Gibson
Russian Culture
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Leshii are another fascinating one - spirits of the forest. Have been walking in the woods a lot recently as it's Autumn, and especially when the sun is going down, it's very easy to get a sense that you are not alone!

Marianne Gibson
Russian Culture
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
That is a really delightful article, Marianne. Thank you for sharing that with us.

The Domovoi is like the Celtic Banshee, in that it attaches itself to one family, generation after generation. The Banshee, however, does not hang around unless there is an impending death in the family and then comes to sing the departed soul to the spirit world.

Tell us more about the Leshii. I love to hear about sprites and other such characters.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Hi Phyllis,

Yes, that is a good analogy, and shows the link in perceptions of the world across many traditional belief systems. I find that looking at these links often enhances understanding of individual cultures, don't you?

The leshii is not attached to the family and thus can be seen as more dangerous than the domovoi. Rather than responding to human life events, the leshii may harm or trick people who come out of the human space of house and field, and into the wilder space of the woods, which they do not control.

I hope to write a full article on the leshii soon.

Meanwhile, if anyone would like to describe a spirit or sprite from any traditional culture, let's see what parallels we can find - could be really interesting.

Marianne Gibson
Russian Culture
Many cultures have tales of water sprites, like "The Silkie Wife"
of the Shetland and Orkney Islands. People of this area call seals "silkies". Are there similar stories in Russian culture?

I look forward to reading about the leshii.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 11/05/09 07:01 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Oh yes, that rings a bell, I have some books on scottish and Irish tales, will look the Silkie Wife up. Obviously, Russian folk culture isn't so sea-based, but there are the Rusalki, who are pretty much mermaids, but they seem to inhabit lakes, pools, and rivers. They are said to be the spirits of maids who have drowned. They try to entice mortals to their death, to join them. So, these are human in origin, but there is also the vodianoi (voda in Russian means water). He is also seen as malevolent, but fishermen may win his good favour by giving gifts, and in fact, when I went out on lake Baikal, Siberia, the captain threw a tot of vodka over the side, so this tradition is still going.

Marianne Gibson
Russian Culture
I like that tradition for the vodianoi, giving a gift for friendship. It is good to keep traditions like that alive.

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.