logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#416523 05/09/08 10:02 AM
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
So, I desparately want a nice aloe vera plant. I keep killing them. Slowly and agonizingly. LOL

I have had several and it seems I can grow almost anything else. I've nursed lots of plants back to life, but I can take a nice aloe and turn it into mulch in a matter of months. Once I killed one almost immediately. I've tried tiny baby ones and huge expensive ones both. No difference. They die.

I swear I don't overwater them (anymore).

Just how do you get them to grow up to be nice & healthy.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaDeb #417354 05/11/08 07:04 PM
L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
There could be several different things at work, here. Try to consider each aloe you've *killed* grin as a separate issue. For instance...the one you killed "almost immediately" could have been injured when you brought it home. Possibly, it was exposed to cool temperatures and maybe it was given the touch of death by the person you purchased it from. Not even your fault!

You indicated that you used to over-water, but don't anymore. If you over-watered an aloe a few times, many of the roots may have died. Then, when you gave it a drought to compensate for the over-watering before watering it again, it may have been unable to take up the water you provided because it no longer had a good root system. Just another possibility!

I always think its a good idea to keep trying. If you've nursed many plants back to health, you are probably just a tiny step away from discovering what you're doing wrong...and very likely, you aren't doing ANYTHING wrong.

Try again! When you purchase a plant, pull it out of the pot at the store. Check to see if it has a lot of roots, and make sure you don't see any bugs like earwigs, centipedes, pill bugs, or gnats. These bugs will all make a meal out of your roots. Make sure that the roots are firm and white, not brown or mushy. If the top of the plant looks good, and the roots do too, you're off to a good start.

Protect the plant on the way home. If temperatures are either very hot or chilly, double bag your aloe to keep it from being exposed to the elements. Temperatures below 50F are the most undesirable.

Once you have picked out a nice spot for your plant, decide if you will water it. You can make a good judgment about whether it is necessary by the way the soil looked and felt when you took it out of the pot. After that, just wait. My aloe plant is HUGE compared to its pot, and I only water it every two or three weeks.

When in doubt, DON'T WATER.

Lisa Beth Voldeck
Houseplants
G
Amoeba
Amoeba
G
"So, I desparately want a nice aloe vera plant. I keep killing them. Slowly and agonizingly. LOL"

Really??????? I CANNOT kill the aloe vera plan in my backyard! I pull them out from one spot, and they show up at another location! They were in the backyard when I bought the house a couple of years ago, and despite constant "weeding", I cannot seem to get rid of them!

Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
So, this summer, I put my ailing aloe out on the balcony. It had two tiny green spikes left at that time, so I was really writing it off.

And, it thrived. It looks fabulous now. I did bring it in a few weeks ago when frost was threatened and moved it to a sunnier spot in the apartment. I think it needs more light than it had been getting. I keep it pretty cool in here year-round, so that might be a problem. I hope it lasts till spring & I'll put it outside again.

I'm really glad it survived!

Moderated by  Sue - Houseplants 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.