Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
C
Since it has been 30 years since I purchased my last sewing machine, a mechanical Singer Futura (the model before the Athena line), I am on top of the world with my recent purchase, a Husquavarna Viking. As I made my last layaway payment on the machine, (Wow have sewing machines skyrocketed in price!) and drove it home in my car firmly seat-belted in, I thought back to my very first machine, a beauty in simplicity - a Sears Kenmore that sewed just forward and backward, and with one variable zigzag stitch, that I bought for just $55.00. And it came with a cabinet! That first machine, now loving passed onto family members, still sews beautifully after 35 years. I think it would be very interesting to know, from this virtual community of sewers, what your first sewing machine was, and when and how you acquired it. Please share your story here in this forum, for ALL sewing machines surely come with fascinating stories!

Cheryl Ellex
Sewing Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
C
The first machine I used was my mother's Fleetwood, a bright blue and chrome powerhouse. I was 5 years old and was not supposed to use it, said I'd sew my fingers together but I didn't. Scared my mom to death when she caught me! Mom still uses it but I took my graduation money and bought a new Singer Stylist 513 and still have it. I love sewing machines and now own 19. My Husq-Viking Designer I is the ultimate with the embroidery, love my Pfaff Performance and would never part with my Singer Featherweight. I travel everyday of my life with 2 machines in my van. I've mended many a police officer's uniform in a pinch, along with fixing up the Band my boyfriend's in. I love cams and gadgets with the older ones! I often wonder what those oldies could whispher to me if they could talk! What were their first owners like?

Eva Offline
Zebra
Zebra
My first ever sewing machine was a Brother, not even sure of the type it was from 1979. Now I have a Singer 401a but have been given the "ok" to get a Viking Rose. I don't sew alot but I made a huge mistake and stopped in to the local sewing shop and "tried" the Pfaff's and Vikings. I will buy a used Viking Rose, which is fine with me. Now If I could just have what I wanted it would be the Pfaff 2170 and The 3d software, hehehehehehe.

J
J
My first ever machine was a singer treadle that had been my gramas. My mum wanted to use it as a table , it dropped inside and a wooden flap came over to cover the base up. I sewd many a skirt on it and when i eventually moved onto electric has a singer. Ive had a toyota for yesrs, also have a husqvarna lily, and now my husqvarna designer 955e which is computorised. Its true they have gone up in price, my singer was about �20 and my 955e which ive had a year was �1500, plus the softwear, d-cardsetc. I sew every day, make carnival costumes, skating dresses competition line dress costumes for 12 world champions, oh, and work part time.!

Shark
Shark
My first sewing machine was my grandmother's, who had passed it to my mom. It was a Singer from 1939 in a wood cabinet. I have it now, and when I did my first quilt I used that machine. It did a much better job than my fairly new machine does. I have just recently gotten back into sewing and making clothing, so who knows what I will have for a sewing machine in a year or so!

Kathi
My first sewing machine was also passed down from my Grandmother. It was a White treadle that was purchased by my Great Grandmother, she purchased it used in 1918 or 1919 for $3.00!! My Grandma learned to sew on it, my mom learned on it and then me smile My very first sewing project was a purple pillow that still sits on my mom's bed. Here is a picture of the sewing machine, I don't use it anymore, but the memories are making me think I might need to...

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
What treasured memories, how nice
I had my grandmothers singer, it weighted a ton, i remember trying to move it one day, they don't make stuff like they use to,things back then were made to last a life time.

Rosie L
I got my first sewing machine right after I was married, from my mother-in-law. It was a Singer and weighed a ton, but it was a very good one. Since it was brand new, the man who delivered it, from the Singer store, sat with me for over an hour to show me how it worked. I had a lot of scrap material and he showed me how to make a potholder with decorative stitches. I still have the machine and it still works - it is almost 45 years old. Since I do not have a permanent place to do my sewing, I just got a lightweight one from my brother and sister for Christmas and it is great! I still have that potholder the Singer man made for me.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
My first and only sewing machine was a White, given to me by my parents for my wedding in 1956. It was portable but heavy, and could only sew straight ahead. With it I made just about everything my 5 children wore except underwear and socks. Baby clothes, dresses, shirts, overalls, slacks, pajamas, jackets, winter coats, Hallowe'en costumes and prom gowns. Not to mention every drapery or curtain that ever hung in our house. My clothes, too; suits, dress coats, summer clothes, cocktail dresses and gowns, they all came off that old White. The last garment I ever sewed on it was my eldest daughter's wedding dress. Then I was done with sewing clothes! I put the old machine away and have only had it out once or twice since then to make display screen covers for my art work.

K
K
My first was a Singer treadle that had been removed from it's base ahd had a motor attached to it. I learned to sew on it sitting next to my Mother and her Singer making Mother-Daughter dresses (in the 60's) When I graduated from high school, I recieved a Singer touch and sew (before they had the stretch stitches)I kept that one for years and I wish I still had it. I had a Kenmore after that and a couple of years ago I replaced it with another Singer. I've looked at others, but I just don't feel right unless I have a Singer in the house.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Cheryl - Sewing Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.