logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Originally Posted By: Lisa Low Carb Ed
If it is irreversible in your situation then that is a shame - I am a firm believer in always having options and choices, and letting people mature and grow. But I believe for the vast majority of people that making a decision about how you handle a relationship today does not have a permanent effect of how the relationship will be handled in 5 years, or in 10.

A shame - for me or for her? wink
Well, it is irreversible "now", because I can't look into future. But it is unlikely.

The "good" thing about it is, that it is no burden for me - far from it!

"Every man is the architect of his own fortune."
Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Angela P
Most of the posts people have made with regard to their parents are related to making the decision to remain childfree, which has nothing to do with being abusive nor living with their parents.

I remember one post where the parents were yelling at the woman for an hour about the issue. To me that is abusive. If my parent was yelling at me for more than 5 minutes I would get up, leave, and talk with them much later when the situation is different.

Do other people not find this to be abusive behavior?

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
I made a deliberate choice to move away from my family. I am quite a bit different in personality to them. I am particularly interested in pursuing higher education, and questioning why things are they way they are. They put more emphasis on learning a trade and making a living without considering theoretical concepts and the like.

I get along with them better now because I talk to them a couple of times a year. It doesn't bother me that I don't have a close relationship with them.

My maternal clock must be digital - because there's certainly no ticking!
Koala
Koala
A little off topic perhaps...

When I'm visiting with college students (single, married or otherwise) I make sure we touch on these issues. It's important that young adults make life decisions that reflect their own needs/wants/values as opposed to those of others. Often times what we perceive as best IS a reflection of how we were raised and by whom we were raised. There's nothing wrong with that. But we each need to be individuals, too.

It's terrific that you've reached the point that you're okay with the situation. I have a few students (in their late 20's even) that I wonder if they will ever hit this point.

Kudos to you!

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Originally Posted By: *Juliana*
A shame - for me or for her? wink
Well, it is irreversible "now", because I can't look into future. But it is unlikely.

The "good" thing about it is, that it is no burden for me - far from it!

That is wonderful that you are not bothered by this!

Maybe "shame" was the wrong word. Definitely it was. What I meant is that life is short enough without having to deal with conflict where there should not be conflict. There are enough other things in life to deal with. So I was sorry that you had to deal with the trouble of having an unapproving parent in your life. But if you are not troubled by it, then that is wonderful.

We should all be content with the path we have chosen, and secure so that winds and rains do not bother us as we move down our path. Yes, others might disagree with our path (parents, friends etc) but their words should not bother us. They have their own paths. We have ours. They can go down their own smile

I am very much a fan of adults leading their lives on their own terms, and not having abuse from anybody else about which way they choose to go in.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.