logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Sigh... sadly, another online resource contains many posts bashing the parenting choices of baby Elizabeth Barrett. I'm really perplexed by the negativity.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Here's a story on how Elizabeth started to read.BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
There probably jealous. I for one think its great.

Rosie L
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I know when I was young my mom would bring me into the local library to get me books and ask the librarian for books I could read. The librarians would take one look at me and huff dismissively "she's too young to read. She must just be memorizing the books you have." So my mom would have to prove it by grabbing a new book from the shelf and having me read it, to get the librarians to help her out. I agree you should never force a child to read - but if a child naturally loves to read, it seems equally as bad to hinder them ...

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Some of the old school librarians used to have very strict ideas about what children should be reading. My mother went to bat for me when I was eight and wanted to read a book that was designated "6th grade" level. The librarian wouldn't allow me to check it out, until my mother made a stink. Then I was permitted to read any book in the library.

Today's librarians seem much warmer and more helpful than that generation of "book defenders".

Koala
Koala
That was always such a pain in the behind side! Mom solved it by just putting the books on her card instead of mine.

Personally, I get that reaction now with my 3 y.o.

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Lynn-

I'm sorry to hear that you are still getting the hairy eyeballs. It's sad, and has many parents of gifted children afraid to do anything with their child, lest they be accused of hothousing.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
It took a while for our school librarian to figure out that our 7.5yo really could read at the level he can read. I do not know if she finally "got it" or if his current teacher went to bat for him. I also got in a few comments myself. She now OFFERS him books at his reading level that she thinks might interest him.

Thankfully before he entered school, our children's librarian at our local library immediately believed me and what a huge source of help when trying to find books at his reading and emotional level.

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Becky-

It is SO nice to have a helpful librarian who knows your child! That can make a huge difference. I am sure that kids pick up it when there are hidden hostilities and disbelief.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Originally Posted By: Lorel-gifted education
Becky-

It is SO nice to have a helpful librarian who knows your child! That can make a huge difference.

Yes, it has been very helpful.

Originally Posted By: Lorel-gifted education
I am sure that kids pick up it when there are hidden hostilities and disbelief.

I completely agree, and my son has made comments to that affect, too.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.