BellaOnline
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: BellaDeb Re: video of reading baby - 17 months old! - 03/11/08 04:33 PM
LOL--That's almost scary!
I wonder why we so frequently use the term "scary" to describe kids who are especially advanced. I have used the term myself, for instance saying someone is, "scary smart". Isn't it odd that recognizing a talent outside of the ordinary equates with fear, even (or maybe especially?) when the person is a tiny tot?
Posted By: Ms A Re: video of reading baby - 17 months old! - 03/12/08 01:40 PM
I thought the little girl was cute. But I think the scary part comes more from the daunting task of knowing how to adequately educate a really brilliant child, of trying to make sure you are on your toes and at least half a step (okay, most of the time, anyway) ahead of your child.

But it does send the wrong message, doesn't it? Really, shouldn't it be more "scary stupid" -- as in, those people are voting, raising children, driving on the roads....

Posted By: wilreba Re: video of reading baby - 17 months old! - 03/17/08 06:11 PM
The video is not working for me. Is this the toddler who learned to sign as an infant and is now reading?
Posted By: zandes Re: video of reading baby - 17 months old! - 03/19/08 06:38 AM
i've often used the term "wicked smart" (think "the incredibles" to understand why i would think that's a compliment.) anyway, have fun evaluating THAT word choice! LOL
Here's a URL that's working now:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/23557146#23557146

Amazing!
Thanks for the new link, Susan!
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: video of reading baby - 17 months old! - 03/19/08 03:34 PM
I saw that on Good Morning America i think it was, she's so cute. wonder if she will have a hard time when she starts school she will be so advanced she will get bored!
I have a feeling her parents won't allow her to sit back and be bored with a standard grade level program.

My earliest reader was reading individual words from 12 months, but I think he was still sight reading at 17 months. He knew a lot of words, but the little girl in the clip seems to be capable of reading just about anything, and we didn't observe that in my son until he was two. By two and a half, he was looking up information in adult field guides and reading the liner notes to the Irish Tenors for fun.

I'm sure it will be a wild ride for Elizabeth and her parents!
Sigh... sadly, another online resource contains many posts bashing the parenting choices of baby Elizabeth Barrett. I'm really perplexed by the negativity.
Here's a story on how Elizabeth started to read.BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: video of reading baby - 17 months old! - 03/20/08 08:32 PM
There probably jealous. I for one think its great.
I know when I was young my mom would bring me into the local library to get me books and ask the librarian for books I could read. The librarians would take one look at me and huff dismissively "she's too young to read. She must just be memorizing the books you have." So my mom would have to prove it by grabbing a new book from the shelf and having me read it, to get the librarians to help her out. I agree you should never force a child to read - but if a child naturally loves to read, it seems equally as bad to hinder them ...
Some of the old school librarians used to have very strict ideas about what children should be reading. My mother went to bat for me when I was eight and wanted to read a book that was designated "6th grade" level. The librarian wouldn't allow me to check it out, until my mother made a stink. Then I was permitted to read any book in the library.

Today's librarians seem much warmer and more helpful than that generation of "book defenders".
Posted By: Lynn_B Re: video of reading baby - 17 months old! - 03/24/08 02:09 PM
That was always such a pain in the behind side! Mom solved it by just putting the books on her card instead of mine.

Personally, I get that reaction now with my 3 y.o.
Lynn-

I'm sorry to hear that you are still getting the hairy eyeballs. It's sad, and has many parents of gifted children afraid to do anything with their child, lest they be accused of hothousing.
Posted By: wilreba Re: video of reading baby - 17 months old! - 04/27/08 08:36 AM
It took a while for our school librarian to figure out that our 7.5yo really could read at the level he can read. I do not know if she finally "got it" or if his current teacher went to bat for him. I also got in a few comments myself. She now OFFERS him books at his reading level that she thinks might interest him.

Thankfully before he entered school, our children's librarian at our local library immediately believed me and what a huge source of help when trying to find books at his reading and emotional level.
Becky-

It is SO nice to have a helpful librarian who knows your child! That can make a huge difference. I am sure that kids pick up it when there are hidden hostilities and disbelief.
Posted By: wilreba Re: video of reading baby - 17 months old! - 04/27/08 07:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Lorel-gifted education
Becky-

It is SO nice to have a helpful librarian who knows your child! That can make a huge difference.

Yes, it has been very helpful.

Originally Posted By: Lorel-gifted education
I am sure that kids pick up it when there are hidden hostilities and disbelief.

I completely agree, and my son has made comments to that affect, too.
Posted By: Ms A Re: video of reading baby - 17 months old! - 04/27/08 10:46 PM
Just a warning about helpful librarians. When my ds was 6-7ish (okay, I've NO idea when it was, but that's my best-guess ballpark) I told her his interest and reading level, and she recommended a book that she really liked -- that was TOTALLY inappropriate for his age. Fortunately, I pre-read it, and returned it without giving it to him. He would have been terrified, had nightmares (if he could even get to sleep!) after reading that!

Posted By: wilreba Re: video of reading baby - 17 months old! - 04/28/08 12:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Ms A
Just a warning about helpful librarians. When my ds was 6-7ish (okay, I've NO idea when it was, but that's my best-guess ballpark) I told her his interest and reading level, and she recommended a book that she really liked -- that was TOTALLY inappropriate for his age. Fortunately, I pre-read it, and returned it without giving it to him. He would have been terrified, had nightmares (if he could even get to sleep!) after reading that!

Excellent point! I pre-read/skim every book my children bring home. Once I sent one back because it was completely inappropriate.
© BellaOnline Forums