logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Gecko
Gecko
Originally Posted By: WestCoastDenise
Ummm...not to enter into a controversy...but you could almost say the same thing about people with dogs, horses, or cats. I like the dogs and horses themselves, but don't always care for the owners. I haven't met a cat owner I didn't like. We're always proud of our own "kid".

Ah, but you can always say "Sorry, I'm allergic to animals!" and usually be met with understanding.

I have to say though, I'd be really surprised if I went to a grocery store or doctor's and had someone trying to show off their cute pony to me. wink What I'm getting at, is for a good chunk of situations where people have animals, you're in that place because you like animals too. Like if I went to a playground and some mom said "There's my kid, aren't they cute?" I'd be expecting that because well, it's a location where there's lots of kids. If I went to a barn and someone wanted to show off their horse, I'd be expecting that.
If however, I'm trying to do some reading or whatever and someone comes over intent on intruding to show off their kid, that's unreasonable. I find it pretty lame that someone has to do something like that (and I would find it pretty annoying if someone had a pet that they were doing it with) it's like saying "Lookit me, I'm SPECIAL because I have a ____!" If I was interested in babies, I'd have started talking to a person with the baby when they sat down, I wouldn't need a blatant "invitation" like that. Ditto with animals, and for sure, I WOULD start up a conversation if it were an animal. wink

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
EXCELLENT way to explain that, GreyDrakkon.

"Men and women think that it is necessary to have children. It is not. It is their animal nature and social custom, rather than reason, which makes them believe that this is a necessity." --Democritus
Angela P #410758 04/23/08 03:19 PM
Gecko
Gecko
Why thanks, I was starting to get jealous of all your fabulous posts Angela. >;D I had to show I could write SOMETHING intelligent.

meam #410759 04/23/08 03:26 PM
J
Shark
Shark
J
Too funny! I guess I have been "baby stalked" a few times..didn't know what to call it...hee..hee..now I do.

have to say though, I'd be really surprised if I went to a grocery store or doctor's and had someone trying to show off their cute pony to me. What I'm getting at, is for a good chunk of situations where people have animals, you're in that place because you like animals too. Like if I went to a playground and some mom said "There's my kid, aren't they cute?" I'd be expecting that because well, it's a location where there's lots of kids. If I went to a barn and someone wanted to show off their horse, I'd be expecting that.
If however, I'm trying to do some reading or whatever and someone comes over intent on intruding to show off their kid, that's unreasonable. I find it pretty lame that someone has to do something like that (and I would find it pretty annoying if someone had a pet that they were doing it with) it's like saying "Lookit me, I'm SPECIAL because I have a ____!" If I was interested in babies, I'd have started talking to a person with the baby when they sat down, I wouldn't need a blatant "invitation" like that. Ditto with animals, and for sure, I WOULD start up a conversation if it were an animal

DITTO!!!

CFBC
Jzel #410762 04/23/08 03:32 PM
F
Amoeba
Amoeba
F
Wow, Llyn, that's terrible. It's amazing how insensitive people can be. I'm sorry that happened to you.

K
Shark
Shark
K
I don't get why people need all that attention and validation when they're with their baby either. Really, they have 24/7 attention FROM the baby, why do they need it from everyone else?!

I like to use the 'going to the bathroom and then reseating myself somewhere else' trick too smile

the only thing i want to parent is my great dane!
F
Amoeba
Amoeba
F
It's because they want attention/validation for their "accomplishment". Like when a waiter says, "Here's your check Mr. Smith". "That's Dr. Smith, thank you very much." People go out of their way to call attention to the things they're most proud of.

Llyn #410791 04/23/08 04:30 PM
J
Amoeba
Amoeba
J
Oh yeah! I have totally been baby/kid stalked and I know you will all LOVE this little story. It happened at my old work place when I worked in a DNA lab at a major university and hospital. My friend and coworker witnessed the whole thing and she and I still talk about this event.

I had another coworker I will call Betsy. Well, Betsy had 2 little kids, a boy and a girl, and granted, they were really good kids. But, Betsy had a habit of coming in with, no joke, about 300+ pictures to show us at a time. Now, I like a picture now and then but when the stack won't even fit in your hand, the pics of kids hitting a baseball or sitting on the beach can get very old and boring very quickly. Plus, remember, I am at WORK trying to focus on DNA samples. You get the point. I had mentioned to my friend that I could not take much more of Betsy's kid pictures and I was going to have to nicely put my foot down.

So, one day, Betsy comes to work (she only came in one day a week. Did most computer work from home) and her computer was right next to mine. She had a slide show of pics to show me that contained about another 200 to 300 pictures. I nicely said "Betsy, I really don't enjoy looking at pictures. Any pictures. I am not a picture person but thanks anyway" and I kept working at my computer. I didn't even say anything about kids although pictures of kids standing and sitting are not exactly exciting to me. She stopped, thought for a minute and, as I continued WORKING on my computer she actually said "Oh, well, here...I will start my slide show (and she turned her computer screen toward me) and if you have the chance to look up every now and then you can catch some of the pictures". (!!!) Unbelievable! I heard my other co-worker kind of gasp and giggle under her breath b/c she knew how much I hated Betsy's pictures and we were astounded that even after my statement, she still pushed them on me. And, yep, she started the slide show and for the next two hours the pics flipped one by one on the screen next to me....as I avoided looking up at all costs.

Even after I said I did not want to see the pictures Betsy just could not let it be. She was insistant upon me seeing her pics of her youngsters. My friend and I still laugh about it and this was about 5 or 6 years ago.

jhmd #410843 04/23/08 07:02 PM
F
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
F
LOL!!! That is so funny jhmd. I love the part about "If you look up once in awhile."

When this thread started I was thinking (due to the terms used like "loaf" (snicker), "Oh no...yet another topic that will incite the moms" and lo and behold. Sigh. It really makes me want to not post, but yet, I have had this happen to me too, but usually I'm okay with it because I like babies for the most part. It's when they're older that I'm not as interested.

BUT, still, there are times....sometimes I wonder if I'm being oversensitive and imagining it, but who knows. I was in a parking lot, putting my groceries in the car, and a mom pulled in near me. She got out, and was making a huge production out of getting out her baby and putting it (IT....no visible gender) into a stroller. She was taking a really long time, fussing with it, turning it all around. I then noticed that she kept glancing over at me. I just kept at what I was doing, but could feel her looking at me because she had to turn around. Then she started lifting the baby up swinging it around in the air, (this is after it was in the stroller and strapped in) and smiling and cooing at it. All the while glancing over at me. I finally had my stuff in the car, and drove off.

Maybe this was normal behavior for her. It just seemed like she was SO into her baby she could barely get herself into the grocery store. At the time I thought it was weird, like she was performance-mothering or something.

J
Shark
Shark
J
Maybe this was normal behavior for her. It just seemed like she was SO into her baby she could barely get herself into the grocery store. At the time I thought it was weird, like she was performance-mothering or something

That is just too strange. That behavior would of made me want to move quick-like, I would of thought she was up to something acting all strange like that. Your comment was funny! Nice to laugh..this board is becoming stressful with not knowing what will "upset" a mom or something and get reported.

CFBC
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.