Next Thread
Print Thread
#410600 04/23/08 10:04 AM
B
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
B
I know of a few Republicans that have changed to Democrat for this race, only to vote for the Democratic candidate that they feel will lose to McCain. They will change back to Republican for the November vote.
I don't know if this idea will come out in their favor. Any thoughts??

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BillieCat #410612 04/23/08 10:34 AM
That is interesting, as a former Republican--I haven't heard of that. If you ask me, it looks like a 3 ring circus--Hillary, Obama, and McCain as the ring leaders.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Billie I've heard people do that. A friend once switched from Dem to Rep to make sure a senator she didn't like didn't get in.

I'm disappointed because my mom tells me she think she heard that Pelosi was trying to have all the votes as a result of party switches disregarded. I don't think they would have legal standing but it concerns me.

I in fact used to be a democrat and was told a good way to send a message to your party was to give up the affiliation, which I did a few years back since I haven't been happy with the party. Then I decided since this years primaries were important to me that I would re-register as democrat. So, in that line of thinking should my vote be discounted.

And could somebody please explain to me why Hillary continuing to pursue the candidacy for president hurts the party?

Violette DeSantis, Writely Applied
Blogs/Social Networking Editor
Small Office/Home Office Editor

Now writing at BloggingTips.com & Soaps.com. For updates visit videsantis.WritelyApplied.com.

"Energy rightly applied and directed will accomplish anything" ~ Nellie Bly
S
S
I'm an Obama fan, but I don't think Hillary ought to drop out until she's ready to. Whenever the nominee is finally announced they will get a bounce out of it, and why would we want to peak early? We should just let it run its course for crying out loud.

Sue R. #411924 04/27/08 01:08 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I know Sue, I think it is exciting for the rest of the states involved, I can't see where it is hurting anybody. Plus, aren't they going to run together anyway in the end?

Do you think he will take her up on the debate challenge with no media moderator? I hope so, I think it would be good for both of them and really put politics in a new light.

Violette DeSantis, Writely Applied
Blogs/Social Networking Editor
Small Office/Home Office Editor

Now writing at BloggingTips.com & Soaps.com. For updates visit videsantis.WritelyApplied.com.

"Energy rightly applied and directed will accomplish anything" ~ Nellie Bly
Parakeet
Parakeet
Personally, while I think Obama and Clinton are great candidates they were not my first or second choice. Unfortunately, months before the Iowa caucus the media had already decided this was an Obama vs Clinton election. All the other Democratic candidates didn't have a chance with all the free news and media coverage given to both Obama and Clinton. All the other Democratic candidates were deemed irrelivant long before the first ballot was cast in Iowa. For this season I am am very bitter. When the primary in my state was held I could not vote for the candidate I strongly supported. He plus all the other candidates had been eliminated in January. I never had a chance to voice my opinion as I wished to do. Even though I have voted Democratic in every presential election since 1980 I do not know how, or if, I will vote in November. I believe Obama has great potential, but he is too inexperienced. He has not even completed his first term as Senator yet. I would like to vote for him in 2012 or 2016, but I am not sure if I will vote for him, or Clinton, in 2008.

Craig58 #422586 05/31/08 12:50 AM
Elephant
Elephant
why is it we think people need to have all this experience as a senator or such before they get elected president? Obama served 8 years as a state senator before he was elected to the national arena. Hillary only has 2 more years on Obama at the national level but NOT A SINGLE year in the state legislature other than being a first wife.

If a person has experience or not, but has the drive, determination, and gumption to go for commander-in-chief, more power to them. My concern is what they would do for the country and not counting up how many years of this and that. A President should not have a checklist to their past to run for the office. That would be like telling a local politician, NO, I am sorry, you have no children, therefore we will not elect you to the school board. Thats bull! Just because someone doesn't have a certain thing in their life or past doesn't make them any less concerned or compassionate about others. Everyone needs to start somewhere.

I personally find that the "lack of prior experience" refreshing as they will not be the typical "come to the office owing so many people favors" candidate. I like freshness and change. I abhore the "good ole boys club".

You should still vote. Don't be a chink in the democratic process. The way I look at it, if you didn't vote you have no right to complain later when something goes wrong or cheer when something goes right. When you don't use the power the constitution gives you, you give up the same right to complain and cheer.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Lady J #422607 05/31/08 02:07 AM
Parakeet
Parakeet
Jase, experience does matter. Obama has great potential, but this is too soon for him to run for president. His inexperience in foreign affairs is starting to show. He needs much more than his "It's time for a change" motto to be an effective president. That motto, which may sound new to some but, has been used in many previous Presidential campaigns over the last twenty years by various candidates, mostly Democrats. I believe the most experienced candidate, Senator Joe Biden, was the best candidate. I listened to many of his speeches. His ideas were sound and well reasoned. His ideas came from years of experience in the Senate, especially on the Senate Judicary and Foriegn Affairs committee. He had the best resolution to the situtation in Iraq. The other candidates were in general agreement with his Plan for Iraq, but now no one speaks of it. Since he is out of the race his proposal to solve the problem in Iraq is irrelevant. It's all been a TV popularity contest for over a year now.

P.S. Hillary Clinton has more experience than Obama. She has spent 30 years in State and National politics. Her experience is NOT irrelevant just because she was First Lady of the State of Arkansas and the United States. Also, she is in her second term as Senator. Obama wasn't halfway through his first term before he began campaigning for President.

Most of the truely effective Presidents, especially since 1900, have had considerable experience at the state and national level before entering thr White House.

Experience Matters!

Last edited by Craig58; 05/31/08 02:08 AM.
BillieCat #422637 05/31/08 06:30 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Originally Posted By: BillieCat
I know of a few Republicans that have changed to Democrat for this race, only to vote for the Democratic candidate that they feel will lose to McCain. They will change back to Republican for the November vote.
I don't know if this idea will come out in their favor. Any thoughts??

I'm a Republican - andni personally detest this practice, no matter which side is doing it.

It seems like cheating somehow to me - stacking the deck.

But this is why i hate having a (mainly) 2 party system to begin with. If people would just vote for who the want as opposed for not voting for who they don't want - then who knows? We might wind up with a decent President one day. (Oh, Colin Powell where are you?)

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.