logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Amoeba
Amoeba
I myself have a problem breastfeeding in public because of my large breasts. I only did it once when we were at the pediatrician's and the visit took longer than we have thought it would.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
MoniB,

Hi, I,too, am large and I think it made it easier for me to breastfeed in public. I always wore a T-shirt, never anything that buttoned, so I just would reach in from the neck to open my bra and then when the baby was in place I only had to lift the bottom of my shirt enough to get the baby on; but its head was already there to block the view. I think if the breasts are small you have to lift the shirt up so much higher that you're exposing a lot more skin.

I understand the horror of exposing large breasts in public, it's something you live with your entire life. But nursing in a T-shirt was never a problem.

I
I
yes I have been challenged for breasfeeding in public, twice in the same month and it bothered me quite a lot, I was upset and offended by the way it was done.

-first time at the local library, well actually when sitting on the bench in the entrance (never elsewhere in the library and I breastfed there many time)... what upset me so much was the manner of it "I' m only saying it for you etc ...." I was SO surprised that I didn't think to reply something to make it clear that I wasn't bothered breasfeeding but clearly this lady making a comment was so it was her problem rather than mine ...

- second time in the caf� section of a department store, impossible to know if really a customer complained or if it was the employees who were bothered ....

I've been wondering, is a shop a public place or a private place ? surely I can't be prevented from breasfeeding sitting down OUSTIDE a shop if I'm asked to stop breasfeeding inside a shop ...
a library is a PUBLIC library so that's clear ...

It's my third child and I walk a lot (I don't drive = can' t hide in a car for breasfeeding !) so I breasteed everywhere I happen to be, anyway .... I just HATE it when I'm made to feel bad about it ...

I wonder, there could be somewhere on the net where we could register everyday WHERE we breasfeed in public ... otherwise we only hear about such and such mother who was forced to get off a plane or asked to leave such and such place ...
I wish there would be some more ways to make it more "mainstream" to breasfeed in public so that more people would be aware that it happens .... and that it's OK ...

I also lift my tee-shirt from the waist up, I wouldn't want to unbutton from the top it would show too much ..... on the other hand the idea of covering up seems ridiculous to me;

- the first time i did it, for my first child, it was more because we were in full sun and to give her a little shade BUT a German tourist came up to me and lifted my cover, he was intrigued by what I was doing and then straight away appologetic when he realised ... so much for privacy !

- my last baby tends to need to push my breast away to position the nipple as she needs it, SO she also pushes my T-shirt up, I end up showing more than with my previous babies, and I'm sure she would play with a cover and NOT let it in place anyway but yank it away and wave it etc ...

- I found these capes I've seen in America (I'm from Europe) terrible .... because you can't see your baby ! Someone suggested they would offer one to me when I was pregnant, I blurted out "but this is not Saudi Arabia, this is America, this is supposed to be the land of freedom !"

so is there anywhere on the internet mothers can "clock-in" and list all the different places they breasfeed in public, instead of where they were asked to stop or move or made to feel bad about it? That would be more positive.
Isabelle.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I thought I would be afraid to bf in public and actually it was natural. I'm feeding a baby, a baby needs to eat. I certainly think family would understand if I did it at a wedding or wherever. I had no problem when my SIL did it at my wedding.

If other people talk that is their problem for being narrow minded. I'm thankful for the women that can voice that we have rights so that we know we don't have to feed a baby in the bathroom.

I can't ever remember being challenged, maybe a few looks, but I figured, I'm an adult I'll get over it, and the other person is scarred for life, oh well, get some therapy already.

Violette DeSantis, Writely Applied
Blogs/Social Networking Editor
Small Office/Home Office Editor

Now writing at BloggingTips.com & Soaps.com. For updates visit videsantis.WritelyApplied.com.

"Energy rightly applied and directed will accomplish anything" ~ Nellie Bly
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
I had the opposite problem - to precede this story I breastfed my 5 children for a total of 9 years.

Then when my youngest was 5 we had a 6 week old foster baby for 6 months and I used to carry him around in a front pack. We were in the local pizza/sandwich cafe and he needed to eat so I whipped out his bottle - a man across the restaurant called over "why don't you give him the real thing!"

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Aw Susan, in his DREAMS!

He must have separation issues with his mother. LOL

Violette DeSantis, Writely Applied
Blogs/Social Networking Editor
Small Office/Home Office Editor

Now writing at BloggingTips.com & Soaps.com. For updates visit videsantis.WritelyApplied.com.

"Energy rightly applied and directed will accomplish anything" ~ Nellie Bly
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.