logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
M
M

Hi Everyone,

I am Donna a single parent, I live in Liverpool, UK. I have 2 children 12 year old daughter and 9 year old son,10 in July. Jadm is on the lower end of the spectrum, limited verbally using pecs and teacch school/home, severe language delays, anxiety issues. But we have come along way with pecs and he can now string a 4 word sentence on his strip!!

Just like to ask parents here. Does anyone know what F.O.T. abbreviated for on Jadm's iep regarding areas of concern mean... Just received today. Thanks.

Donna

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
S
Hi there. I can't say whether this is the term or not without context, but I did see it used with IEP to mean Foundations of Technology. Hopefully that works in your context.

Initially I thought it may have something to do with Occupational Therapy, as 'experts' often use the term OT as a short form.

Just by the by, you may also consider using custom photo picture symbols. We tried that with our son and it made a HUGE difference, especially with behaviour. It worked so well that I actually began my 'web-life' by setting up to offer them to other parents and teachers as well. You can find more info here if you're interested:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.... John Lennon

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Welcome to the forums Donna. I have never heard of the term and a google search came up with nothing relevant. I am curious that you mentioned just getting his IEP and read this on there - were you not present at the IEP or was this added after you signed it? What part of the IEP was this written into and who initiated?

It could mean something entirely different than here in the States or Canada since you are in the UK, but nothing comes to mind. Perhaps you could post the section this was written in and that could help gain some insights.

What grade is your son in? My youngest is ten and in fourth grade, special day class and nonverbal. That is good news about your son using sentences in his strips. He uses the cheap talk device at home and school and during summer camp they have a Go Tak 9+ that I really like and may purchase. The cheap talk is the school districts on loan to us, but not very portable like the Go Talk.

I tried to get the district to switch to the Go talk but the AAC person said that the buttons were easier to push on the cheap talk and less likely to break or have to pound to feel it registe.

Over the summer I attended a conference and saw a demonstration on the SpringBoard. They are atBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Welcome aboard Anna. Thanks for sharing your information and providing links. I checked out your site and noted you have some good data and products there. Good luck with it.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
S
S
hi
i am shell mum of 6 two with autism one with traits one with lbd
i also have a support group for parents and carers of children with asd
i also have aspergers syndrome
if i can help in any way here or there please ask
love shell

Hello all,
I came across an article by Bonnie on "Rules for Respite Caregivers" that was written well over a year ago. I am not a mother yet, in fact I am trying to make my way through college. I am however a Respite worker, and as well I work for IHSS. I also spent a year teaching at a special needs preschool that specialized in children with autism. I have to tell you I think you all are amazing women. Through my jobs I have seen parents selfishly toss their children aside, finding it "too hard" to handle their children with autism or other disabilities. Others refuse to admit that their child isn't "normal", forcing them into lives they consider normal. All the while the child suffers from not getting the care/attention he or she really needs. I know it isn't easy working with children with any disabilties,but I know that autism can be especially hard to deal with. I just wanted to write and let you know that I truly admire all of you.

P.S. - Not all Respite workers are bad.....but I hear you when you say most people think of Respite workers as "Glorified Babysitters"....nothing makes me angrier then someone telling me I babysit for a living.

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." - Anne Frank
S
S
Hi Bonnie ,

My name is Suzette and as I was reading your info and took a look at your picture I have this feeling that we have met. I have 3 boys my oldest , Andrew 16 and my youngest Matthew 13, both are autistic.

I lived in west hills but moved to palmdale 9 years ago. I have been looking to link up with other parents in the antelope valley/ san fernando valley.

I am an advocate and have provided services, and help to other parents free of charge for as long as people have asked for help.

I wanted to start off by asking your group a question. parents that are regional center clients " How many hours of respite care do you get each month ?"

I have notice that the amount of hours given seems to vary for no particular reason.

E
E
I did, but you may not like the answer. We used duct tape to keep him from getting his hands in his diapers and then spreading it ALL OVER HIS WALLS! I sent this suggestion to Garrison Keillor who had a baby shortly after we tried this. It really worked for us. eek
I may actually have a picture of it. If I do, I will post it.
Good luck.
Elly

M
M
Hi Suzette,
In East Valley Regional Center, it depends on several things. On is how old your child is but I think that now the kicker is how much money you make. If you make a certain amount of money then regional center pays for respite on a sliding scale. But -- that might be when your child hits a certain age, too -- so go in and meet with them and find out. I'd heard it didn't used to work that way but things have changed.

G
G
Hello.

We adopted a girl at the age of 7. Her mother was mentally retarded and she was not given a lot of attention. We thought she would develop after working with her, but something just wasn't right. She also struggled at school socially and academically. She has just been diagnosed as having Autism Spectrum Disorder. I feel so bad as she probably had this all along, but we just thought she had a low IQ and that she was delayed due to her circumstances before adoption. This is all very new to us and we hope to learn how best to help her. The school has not responded to her dianosis of ASD, but want to test her to be eligible for learning disabled for special education. We will see how this goes, but hope they will look at both as both influence her learning. smile

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.