Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#405162 04/10/08 11:33 AM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
My MIL and FIL have 3 dogs. The puppy (9 months old) got ahold of a bottle of baby asprin my stupid SIL left laying around. (This dog is a known chewer; therefore, it is not a big surprise that she did this.) Anyway, she chewed through the bottle so all of the asprins spilled onto the floor. The oldest dog (8 1/2 years) ate almost 1/2 of the pills. My inlaws didn't take her to the vet because she threw up about 2 to 2 1/2 hours later and they didn't think that it was that big of a deal.

Now, 2 days later, the dog's ears are extremely swollen, fevered and sore. They STILL have not taken her to the vet. All she does is lie around and if she does move, she is constantly shaking her head as she walks. She also is not eating which is very out of character for her.

I told them that it is a miracle that she is still alive because ingesting a large amount of asprin can make you bleed.

How can people be so stupid!?! I told DH that it is a miracle that he and his siblings made it to adulthood.

Amber

"The way you treat yourself sets the standard for others." Sonya Friedman
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Gecko
Gecko
C
Oh, no! Can you take the dog to the vet?

::Worries::

"The world might be considerably poorer if the great writers had exchanged their books for children of flesh and blood." ~Virginia Woolfe
F
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
F
Ak! That's terrible!! I hope he gets to the vet soon too!!

Parakeet
Parakeet
It is a big deal. This is animal abuse, refusing to take a dog to the vet when it is sick. You could call the humane society and report them, if necessary.

Cindy

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I think that I will be taking her to the vet after work if she hasn't been taken already. My MIL mentioned that she might take her today.

I just feel so bad for her!

Amber

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
THAT IS SICKENING!!!!! The poor dog.

And if it was a precious baby, only eating one single aspirin, they'd probably have been at the emergency from minute one.

It sickens me how people don't take care of their animals. They are in our hands, we owe it to them to do all we can. Poor dog. frown

Simone de Beauvoir dismissed motherhood as, "...'a strange mixture of narcissism, altruism, idle daydreaming, sincerity, bad faith, devotion and cynicism."

Gecko
Gecko
How horrible. I don't understand people like that. I hope the vet is able to help the dog at this point. I think there should be a special place in hell for people who lack compassion for the animals in their care.

Tbunny #405207 04/10/08 12:59 PM
C
Shark
Shark
C
Oh my! That is terrible! I can't believe they didn't take her to the vet?! If it were my dog I would have taken it right away. I hope the dog gets to the vet soon. Poor little thing.

How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?
-- Plato --
CF_GAL #405209 04/10/08 01:22 PM
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Oh, for God's sake - those poor dogs need to get to the vet. Aspirin is a blood thinner and the dogs may well have internal bleeding. An overdose of aspirin can kill.

To ease some fears: a dog may be given one half to one regular adult aspirin, depending on the weight of the dog. This info is from my vet who prescribed an occasional aspirin for when my poor baby's paw which has a birth defect is bothering him. I buy the special dog aspirin formulation for him. Hint: put the pill into some liverwurst.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Llyn #405221 04/10/08 02:15 PM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
I know she needs to go to the vet. The pup didn't eat any, just the older dog.

I told MIL that she could be bleeding internally and she looked at me and said that she hadn't even thought of that. She thought that since the dog threw up that she would be fine. SHE IS NOT FINE! She won't eat and all she does is mope around!

Normally, she yells at us if we are playing with the dogs and they make a sound that she doesn't like--they whimper when you are playing with them if they aren't getting their way. But, when something of this magnitude happens, she doesn't do anything.

Sometimes I wonder how that woman can navigate everyday life.

Amber

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.