logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Zebra
Zebra
And, I tip 20% or more as a rule. Bad service annoys me and I will tip accordingly, too, but I'm happy to tip well when someone does do their job well and helps me to have a nice, enjoyable meal.

I can cook very well, and I don't just go out to eat for the food. I really want to be waited on--I want my tea and water glasses to stay full. I want to ask questions about the food and get good answers. I want someone to talk me into splurging on the special or trying something new. I want someone who knows when I show them a well-done steak that "medium rare" it ain't. I'm happy to pay for that, and I consider it a cost of dining out.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Right I definitely would NEVER survive as a waitress. I would forget orders, write things down incorrectly, drop things on peoples' heads and get really bored with all the napkin folding and other tasks. I understand completely how this is a job I would fail at. I am quite happy to reward someone for doing it well and making my special night out a "wonderful experience" instead of a frustrating one.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Once I went out to dinner with an older gentleman who left such a tiny little tip I was embarrased and ashamed. I didn't have my wallet with me or I would have slipped some money under my plate, so I went back to the restaurant the next day and apologized to the waitress and gave her the tip she deserved.
And I never went out with him again!

Several of my DDs were waitresses early in their careers and I often heard about their troubles with patrons. One DD worked at an upscale place and got so tired of being pawed by men, even right in front of their wives, that she quit one night and moved over to a natural foods cafe in the same town. The tips were smaller but the clientele was much better behaved.
However, she got stiffed by the owner and I had to threaten a lawsuit before she got the money that was coming to her.

Wait staff deserve every penny we can give them!

F
Gecko
Gecko
F
"Unskilled labor? Hardly"

How long was the apprenticeship you served to become a journeyman? How long after that did you become a waiter able to collect full pay?

Or do you go to school to learn to be a waiter?

The above questions are really unnecessary. The only one that we need answer is whether or not untrained persons may be hired as servers. The answer to that is of course yes. Many high school girls and boys take jobs as waiters. That makes it unskilled labor.

Any hours spent setting up the restaurant before I arrive or indeed on days I do not enter - what does that have to do with me?

F
Gecko
Gecko
F
"Again, the taxes are on the waiter who rings the orders up."

Would you explain this statement?

Zebra
Zebra
Certainly. The waiter rings up orders or guest checks. At the end of the shift, the waiter declares tips so that he or she can pay taxes on their tips. The total food and beverage revenue they rang up, or sold, during the shift, along with the tips they claim is recorded and reported. And, failure to accurately record this info subjects a waiter to "allocated" tips--meaning the IRS will demand that more is withheld.

So, when someone stiffs or undertips, it actually costs the server to wait on them. Takes money out of his or her pocket.

Zebra
Zebra
There is, in most places, a formal training program and yes, new waiters do work with a journeyman before they are allowed to wait tables on their own.

What happens when you are not there doesn't concern you? Well, if you don't mind eating in filthy restaurants with dirty, unsanitized dishes and nothing prepared in advance (I mean, no ice frozen, no garnishes prepared, no steaks cut, no sauces made and so on), by all means, tip poorly.

Save your cash for the resulting ER bills--where you will find many other unskilled laborers assisting in your care and in the cleaning of said hospital. But don't worry, you don't have to tip there. It's all inclusive.

C
Gecko
Gecko
C
Originally Posted By: Lisa Low Carb Ed
I aim for 20% and I do it in my head too - I do 10% and double it smile

I do leave less for bad service ...

Me too!

"The world might be considerably poorer if the great writers had exchanged their books for children of flesh and blood." ~Virginia Woolfe
Shark
Shark
I tip well for good service because, as several people have stated, food servers aren't paid very much per hour and it's a hard job. I couldn't do it....the moment someone got testy with me they'd end up with their plate dumped in their lap. A lot of people tend to treat those in the "service" industry poorly - I was at Dave & Buster's not too long ago and there was a table with a mom and 6 or 8 teen-aged girls. Their food server was very attentive, their food arrived in a timely matter - and yet they stiffed her on a tip. And they trashed the table.

Leaving a few extra dollars on the table isn't going to make any difference to me but if it makes someone else feel more appreciated for working hard then it's well worth it.

Plus I like to be nice to people who could spit in my food if the urge strikes...

Mother always said that even when things seem bad there's someone else who's having a worse day. Like being stung by a bee or getting a splinter or being chained to the wall in someone's sex dungeon.
Sofie #402765 04/04/08 05:11 PM
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
They might hire high school kids at the local McDonalds, but in fine restaurants the waiters and waitresses often have decades of experience as well as specialized training at wine schools and more.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Beverly - Math Coach 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.