Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#400869 03/30/08 10:13 PM
S
Skeeter Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
S
So a topic came up at work last night: My staff members know that I am CF and by now most of them are accepting (or the few that shun me like the plague). But a question was asked. "I know you will never want kids...but what will you do in 5 years if your wife suddenly changes her mind"?

It brought up some interesting thoughts, and when it came down to it I replied with "I would leave her".

What do you think? What decision would you make (or have allready made) if you had too?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
Shark
Shark
B
Although my dh has a greater chance of growing a second head than coming to this conclusion, I'd say couples counseling. The 'need' for a child could be a different need in disguise and I'd want to explore that.

L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Yeah, counseling to explore the issue may help in that situation. Or not. I found that the one time my DH and I went to a counselor that all of a sudden I had 2 men looking at me like I had 2 heads instead of just one. That counselor was definatley biased towards the male viewpoint and nothing I could say was going to change that one bit. So that approach is not always the answer.

If you and your spouse have discussed and agreed on the issue before marriage and come to a mutually acceptable decision on the topic of kids, then changing the rules in the middle of the game is not fair. If one party later decides they must have a child then the other party has to decide whether to fish or cut bait.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
S
Skeeter Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
S
Luckily I can't imagine ever having to deal with the issue...but it would scare me to think of what I would have to do if it did come up.

R
Gecko
Gecko
R
The "I would leave her" part seems cold at first, but then, after having been a step mom myself and someone who never wanted kids....I wish I had the good sense back then to hang up on my future husband during our first phone introduction.

If her being CF and not wanting kids is part of what attracted you to her in the first place, then that changes.....well...then before the separation - I would try counseling to see if that works.

If not - then I guess you folks would have to walk away from the marriage.

C
Gecko
Gecko
C
Rock on, Skeeter. It's the perfect answer for someone who asked a question that was none of her business. I hope it shocked her.

What would I do? That's really hard. Counseling first, yes. If he insisted I have a baby, I just don't think I could do that. I've loved him for 24 years and I couldn't see my life without him, so I would consider adoption if it's something he dcided he had to do--but I'd push for an older child. And I doubt he'd want a baby anyway.

But I love your answer. In fact, I've used it on nosey people just to shut them up.

"The world might be considerably poorer if the great writers had exchanged their books for children of flesh and blood." ~Virginia Woolfe
F
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
F
A passive-aggressive approach would be to keep putting it off, saying "in 2 years if you still want to"...all the while knowing that once you get her to age 32 and beyond, it will get harder to conceive. Then, I'd still agree and start secretly taking the male pill if it was invented. I think a lot of people think conception will just be automatic once they decide to do it, and what will they do if it doesn't work out perfectly?

S
Skeeter Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
S
Hmmm I don't know how much of an option that would be..because I really do love her, and can't see decieving her if it's that important to her.

F
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
F
Yeah, I thought of that too. Sorry if that suggestion was too slimey. I wasn't really serious.

I agree with your answer, since I know how strongly you feel about it.

But if you weren't SO set on being CF, I think the discussion would have to go a little further to explore what would happen if it doesn't happen that easily. Would you be willing to go through fertility treatments? Adopt? Foster? How much money would you be willing to lay out to make her "sudden" change of heart come to be? At what point would she be willing to give up? Of course, i know your answer on those...

S
Skeeter Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
S
Oh don't worry about being slimey..no big. I just don't know if I can do it...and I don't even know if i want to go through the stress of trying to figure out what she wants to do

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.