Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rosie52 Offline OP
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the lack of respect our younger generation shows towards seniors? It infuriates me that our younger generation is taught no respect in their treatment of seniors. What are your thoughts? Have you witnessed or been a victim to this type of behavior?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
My experience tells me that the value our youth place on their elders varies tremendously by region, by culture/ethnicity, by social standing, etc. The values of the current generation were molded based on the exemplars provided by their parents (and their parents before them, etc., etc.). For the current generation to value the prior, the prior would have had to model the behavior for the current at some point during their social development.

K
Amoeba
Amoeba
K
There in our city we also experience a similar scenario with regards to respect to elders.

Children now a days forgot how to respect and value their grandparents and even their parents and older siblings.

I guess one factor is the television and internet that sometimes create a negative impression on these young children.

I agree with what Lyn said, adults should be the role model for these kids. They should also show respect to people older than them so that children seeing this might know the value of respect towards elders.

Last edited by Karen_Gates; 12/28/06 01:01 PM.

Having a hard time losing that stubborn fats? Check out this site
weightpro for info, tips and reviews on different weight loss programs available.

Also try these sites for info on different softwares and online marketing tips---
lost files
zipbrander
self-improved millionaire
Koala
Koala
If this topic interests you, you might look up Tom Cole's The Journey of Life : A Cultural History of Aging in America. Cole is a researcher with the University of Texas and has studied U.S. attitudes towards aging and the elderly. Its an academic text and slightly dry reading; but, an interesting commentary on American attitudes.

S
S
I don't feel exactly "older", I am 55, but as I remember my teen years that didn't seem too young! I am disabled, and I have experienced a number of young people being willing to help me - whether it is to open a door or help to carry packages. Some of them are in hugely baggy pants, nearly bald heads, and tatoos; looks usually identified with gangs.

The difference is, I think, that I look at them and say "hello", with no judgement, an openness to being accepting of them as they are. They, in turn, see me as I am - needing help - and more than not - give that help with an attitude of respect. I believe they feel they were given respect, and return what was given to them.

R
R
I haven't run into this problem personally...but I have seen it happen to others and it makes me cringe to think those children were not taught better.
Ruthy

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I some time use public transportation, (the bus) i have seen high school kids refuse to give up seats for older people. even though there sitting in the seats marked for elderly n handicap. i have witness verbal abuse against bus drivers, total lack of respect for other teens that do give up there seats for other people. its a shame

Rosie L
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Respect begins at home! If we aren't respecting each other at home how are we going to respect others in public?

We should observe and learn from the Asian cultures who prize the elderly for their wisdom and experience.

Rosie, I have also seen teens on buses sitting up front in the seats for elderly or handicapped people and they do not even move their long legs and big feet out of the aisle to let elderly people get past them while trying not to trip over them. I think the bus drivers should ask these teens to move back when an elderly person comes on board. Most teens that I have seen in public today are extremely disrepectful of the elderly and even make fun of them or try to intimidate them in some way.

I do not know what a positive solution would be to this disaster in society. Sure you can teach your kids at home and in the schools about respecting others but it does not seem to help when the teens are out alone in public. Just one obnoxious, disrespectful teen can make a whole group of teens follow his/her lead.

I remember when growing up that my parents taught us respect and manners and that was reinforced in the schools and in church and by listening to my Father or Mother or Grandparents read from the bible. Maybe the decline of faith (any faith) in America contributes a lot to the problems we are facing with teens today.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
J
J
Yes, I know how it feels...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  DeboraD 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.