logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Is there any information anyone has been looking for, or any sort of medications, treatments, diagnosis information that you've been wanting to know about? I am seeking out new ideas for articles on Mental Health and would love your feedback!

Carissa Vaughn Mental Health Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
dkj Offline
D
My youngest sister has been diagnoised with depression socaial anxiety disorder, OCD to name a few is there a illness that a person will somewhat regress to childhood?

~
~DD Offline
~
Carissa,

I'm so glad to see yet another site with information on mental disorders. I am married to and have a daughter who is narcissistic. My marriage counselor loosely diagnosed my husband as NPD to me. He also have avoidant pd, ocd, and other things, as a result of abuse, neglect and star-child treatment years ago. I've been married to him 20 years and would LOVE to see you post more info on personality disorder in general on your board. The more informed, the more people will be able to see things OBJECTIVELY, and that is a good chunk of the battle won with these dysfunctional people.

~always hope
~
~DD Offline
~
I've seen regression into childhood happen with almost every personality disorder.

Especially online you will find grown adults saying things like

"me go sit in da korna" (I'll go sit in the corner")
<---climbs back into her box (one who acts fearful online)
"me swwy" ("I'm sorry")

Not to mention all the baby talk in general and the mispelled words, etc.

Personally, I find it very annoying to deal with personality disordered people on a computer. I feel they need to be supervised if they are going to be online, or else STAY OFF THE COMPUTER!

~always hope
B
Gecko
Gecko
B
Carissa:

There is a big problem with generic SSRIs. One study was conducted on Welbutrin and its generic. The biggest problem they think is due to no time-release formula in the generic - you get a big dose right away, and none later on in the day; this has caused extreme side effects.
I reported that the generic Celexa was doing no good - in fact, even causing bad symptoms as the above medicine has. I pay extra to be on a brand name.

This would be a good topic if you have time to investigate/write about it.

B
Gecko
Gecko
B
I was also interested in Avoidant Personality Disorder.

Thank you.

L
L
I am so pleased to see that there is a Mental Health forum on here! This is something I think is often overlooked. People will chat with you when there is something simple like a broken bone or the flu that must be dealt with... but when you mention a mental health problem, people avoid you like the plague! There is still a lot of misunderstanding out there. I think we are truly in the Dark Ages when it comes to treating a lot of these mental health disorders. Doctors will prescribe meds... but often no one knows how they truly work! Someimes they recommend therapy sessions, but there are mixed thoughts on if they work. Then, they usually don't work with antisocial types like my son.

Then it comes to insurance companies. They'll pay for treatment of the broken bone... but they don't want to touch mental health. Therefore, the cost burden is thrust upon the parents. The costs are sometimes quite high!

I heard a debate on the radio yesterday on the possible effect of even a small glass of wine on the brain of a healthy teenager because the brain is still developing. But then we give medications to these kids for all kinds of disorders without really knowing what they do! It is frightening.

My son was diasnosed recently with Schizotypal Personality Disorder. They can't tell if he will develop full schizophrenia. It is frightening. When your son truly believes that he is not a human being but states he is a non-human "intelligence" with no gender and is no longer a teenager, what do you say? He gets terribly offended if we don't believe him. It's been a lot of work but we have managed to get him to a psychologist and a psychiatrist and they did start him on Abilify. This is used for BiPolar Disorder and Schizophrenia.

They schools are on High Alert now for "different" kids because of the school shootings. My son is antisocial and spends his lunch reading alone. One book had a school shooting in it. So I'm sure we are on a "watch list". I've been in constant contact with the school regarding his progress. I went to meet with the school and there were 5 school members there. When has anyone here ever had that kind of attention from the school? I think it was due to the past tragedies. Yes, I do think they need to pay attention, but are they targeting the right kids and are they doing the right things? Then, are kids like mine getting the attention they do need?

Even more frightening... what is happening with the kids who have no one to look out for them, no one to protect them, no one to catch those symptoms early on? What is happening with the kids who actually do have concerned parents but can't afford the treatments because the health insurance won't cover it? And what about the stigma of sticking the poor kid with a label like Depression or Schizophrenia for the rest of their lives? What negative reperucussions will they encounter from this in the future?

Lastly, one person above suggested OCD. I know that this can occur with other problems such as Schizotypal and Aspergers. My son has a lot of repetitive behaviors. He's been diagnosed with OCD, ADD (inattentive subtype), depression and Schizo PD.... and it is hard to know if any or all are true! The different MDs don't even agree with each other. It is frustrating!

Last edited by Linda Hoover; 03/28/08 12:27 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Does your son give any more information as to why he feels he is now, "not a teenager?" and has he always felt this way?

I've had other people share similar views with me. Just speaking with them, many have highly brilliant minds. I am curious if there are any similarities if you feel comfortable sharing any, that is smile

A woman brought her son over a few months back. She was a nervous wreck but her son seemed to go between young man and proffesor. He had a great deal of information that had almost a quantum physics type quality about it.

It's a different approach I guess, listening to the reasoning behind the statements. My brother is autistic and I've seen him on all sorts of medications and he is depressed so I personally am open to investigating more than just the black and white.

Karen Elleise

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
I just wanted to take a moment and thank you all for your posts. GREAT topics. I'm enjoying the research.
Linda ~ I also wanted to address your concerns. I do indeed agree that the school systems don't seem to have correct modalities in place for dealing with children/teens who have a mental illness. There are, of course the special ed classes, but it takes a special teacher and someone with experience and knowledge of certain disorders to be able to maintain and assist such a class to flourish. Due to many of the fears that the media and recent events have brought about, I do think that there is that 'what if?' panic mode. (I've seen the same problems with justice officials). I don't think that this is necessarily their fault, but mental health and the illnesses that surround them are not being brought out in an educative light as they need to be so that the 'stigma' disappears. Being an advocate and helping educate your educators will help. It sounds like you have done this too. I can only imagine your frustration in small doses. Many diagnoses, many meds, many 'advice' givers. I hear what you are saying and what I'm wondering is ~ what is your biggest concern at this point?

Carissa Vaughn Mental Health Editor
J
J
I am an ex-military man and I have been diagnosed with PTSD along with other things that are not as serious. My mind wonders continuously about my fate. In my new profession, I have seen others (men especially) all older than myself, want to die by almost any means necessary. These men are ashamed of their inability to satify their loved ones due to the "fear". The fear is basic yet, disturbing. Men have confessed to me that their wifes' fear sleeping beside them because their husband is trained not only to kill but, to respond instinctively and instantly (muscle memory is what it is called, the military wants the automatic response without thought of the action being executed) to anything sudden. For example; a tender touch while sleeping can and may turn into an al out fight until the man comes to reality of where he is and who is in front of him. Another man confessed that his wife is terrified to hug or touch him because f the way he might react.He also admitted that he could not even make love to his wife due to his own mindset. A lady told me that she had to leave her husband because it was too painful to watch him deteriate to an empty void of nothingness. Another lady informed me that she had to remove all the knives and forks in the house because she feared his combat training. I could go on and on.
As for myself, I am a very heavy sleeper but, I sleep lightly when it comes to unexpected noises. I wake up fighting due to my very violent dreams of defending myself and those around me. I have had the same combat training as those others. More than some, less than others. I too can not be touched unexpectedly due to my own reactions that I have had in the past. I am currently in councelling and on medications to help me but, I fear that I may become worse with time. The alternatives I face from day to day, am I goign to suffr the same fate as from what I have seen? Thankfully, I am single so I would not place a woman in a "bad" situation. Yet, I am a man with alot of love, passion, romance, honesty, respect, tenderness, soft-heartedness, well spoken, well educated, a provider, a more than passionate lovemaker, etc. with so much to give a woman who may be strong enough to handle my brokeness. Though I do not see myself going down that path of atrocity, I stillwonder how should I proceed. I am a Christian by faith, though my faith is or has dwendeled, i pray sometimes and I am trying to do better and I still fight to the best of my ability. I have good times and I have bad time yet, continue onward. Is there anything that you could advise me that may help me in this present and looking toward my future?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.