Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
R
I think of Peter, Paul and Mary. Puff the Magic Dragon, flowers in your hair, long cotton dresses flowing, bring peaceful and relaxed.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I think of the Kingston Trio

I never liked folk music.

Rosie L
I love folk music and Bluegrass! I used to be in a folk group and played dulcimer, autoharp, banjo, mandolin and guitar. We had so much fun. There were 10 of us and we played at Churches, Rest Homes and parties. We belonged to a much larger group of people who met once a year at a campground that had an amphitheatre and planned programs and sing alongs. We would sit around the group fire pit in the evenings and have sing alongs. Those were good ole' days! We would also all meet at the annual Bluegrass Festival in Grass Valley - that was a blast!

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Parakeet
Parakeet
I think of Bob Dylan, Joan Baez Woodie Guthrie and Donovan.

Would Appalachian music be considered folk music?

Yes, Appalachian music is considered folk. My dulcimer was an Appalachian dulcimer and I played it often. Nothing is more charming and captivating than the sounds of a fiddle. Add a banjo for melodic accompaniment and a guitar for rhythm, a dulcimer or autoharp and you've got yourself an authentic folk group.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
C
Gecko
Gecko
C
Folk music goes so far beyond Peter, Paul and Mary, Dylan, Kingston Trio and those commercially promoted artists who found a way to main stream in the 60s.

Folk artists are alive and thriving at festivals and coffee houses, and house parties. In the northeast, there a tons of venues that promote folk and acoustic root music. Singer / Songwriters also fall into this genre. You'll hear these artists on folk channels such as Folk Alley and WUMB in Boston but not on your commercial stations.

If you think you don't like Folk Music, take a listen to Kristin Andreassen atBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

PBS had a documentary aired about a year ago in my area. It was all about folk music and bluegrass. They visited families in out of the way places all over the country - Appalachians, Kentucky, Catskills, people living back in the hills and mountains like their families have lived for generations, and documented their music and history. I wish I could remember the name of the show - it was fantastic! Most of the songs the families sang were made up and sang by their great grandfathers and grandmothers and passed down thru the generations - but all the music style and instruments were similar. When watching that show I wanted so much to be a part of their lives, visit with them, sing with them, play their music. It was awesome!!!

Phyllis Doyle Burns
C
Zebra
Zebra
C
Folk music reminds me of pure, natural music. Joni Mitchell is one of my favorites.

FavoriteTraditions.com
Life's Special Moments
C
Gecko
Gecko
C
Phyllis,
There are several PBS documentaries focused on Root music. The one you are thinking about could be the one done by Alan Lomax. I too don't remember the name of it. If you enjoy this kind of documentary, there is also one out on Rambling Jack Elliot and one on the Carter Family that you might enjoy. Many of these documentaries can by checked out of your local libraries.

I just saw that Rambling Jack Elliot on the line up for the New Bedford Summerfest. Hope my calendar allows me to get there this year again. I would love an interview with him.

That's a great idea, Chris, to check out the video from the library. I'll do that this weekend. Thanks!

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.