BellaOnline
Posted By: Robin Crime Editor When you think of Folk Music..... - 03/23/08 05:16 PM
I think of Peter, Paul and Mary. Puff the Magic Dragon, flowers in your hair, long cotton dresses flowing, bring peaceful and relaxed.
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: When you think of Folk Music..... - 03/23/08 05:27 PM
I think of the Kingston Trio

I never liked folk music.
I love folk music and Bluegrass! I used to be in a folk group and played dulcimer, autoharp, banjo, mandolin and guitar. We had so much fun. There were 10 of us and we played at Churches, Rest Homes and parties. We belonged to a much larger group of people who met once a year at a campground that had an amphitheatre and planned programs and sing alongs. We would sit around the group fire pit in the evenings and have sing alongs. Those were good ole' days! We would also all meet at the annual Bluegrass Festival in Grass Valley - that was a blast!
I think of Bob Dylan, Joan Baez Woodie Guthrie and Donovan.

Would Appalachian music be considered folk music?
Yes, Appalachian music is considered folk. My dulcimer was an Appalachian dulcimer and I played it often. Nothing is more charming and captivating than the sounds of a fiddle. Add a banjo for melodic accompaniment and a guitar for rhythm, a dulcimer or autoharp and you've got yourself an authentic folk group.
Posted By: Chris Re: When you think of Folk Music..... - 03/24/08 10:38 AM
Folk music goes so far beyond Peter, Paul and Mary, Dylan, Kingston Trio and those commercially promoted artists who found a way to main stream in the 60s.

Folk artists are alive and thriving at festivals and coffee houses, and house parties. In the northeast, there a tons of venues that promote folk and acoustic root music. Singer / Songwriters also fall into this genre. You'll hear these artists on folk channels such as Folk Alley and WUMB in Boston but not on your commercial stations.

If you think you don't like Folk Music, take a listen to Kristin Andreassen atBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
PBS had a documentary aired about a year ago in my area. It was all about folk music and bluegrass. They visited families in out of the way places all over the country - Appalachians, Kentucky, Catskills, people living back in the hills and mountains like their families have lived for generations, and documented their music and history. I wish I could remember the name of the show - it was fantastic! Most of the songs the families sang were made up and sang by their great grandfathers and grandmothers and passed down thru the generations - but all the music style and instruments were similar. When watching that show I wanted so much to be a part of their lives, visit with them, sing with them, play their music. It was awesome!!!
Posted By: chloe21 Re: When you think of Folk Music..... - 03/24/08 07:21 PM
Folk music reminds me of pure, natural music. Joni Mitchell is one of my favorites.
Posted By: Chris Re: When you think of Folk Music..... - 03/24/08 11:33 PM
Phyllis,
There are several PBS documentaries focused on Root music. The one you are thinking about could be the one done by Alan Lomax. I too don't remember the name of it. If you enjoy this kind of documentary, there is also one out on Rambling Jack Elliot and one on the Carter Family that you might enjoy. Many of these documentaries can by checked out of your local libraries.

I just saw that Rambling Jack Elliot on the line up for the New Bedford Summerfest. Hope my calendar allows me to get there this year again. I would love an interview with him.

That's a great idea, Chris, to check out the video from the library. I'll do that this weekend. Thanks!
Posted By: medford Re: When you think of Folk Music..... - 04/04/08 05:26 PM
I always think of Dylan first because I got into it from him. but through him I discovered more from artists I was aware of but not very familiar with, and so many new ones. Joan Baez, Peter Paul & Mary, The Seekers, Woody Guthrie, Eric Von Schmidt, Odetta, Leadbelly, Malvina Reynolds, The Weavers, Pete Seeger, John Jacob Niles, ect ect.
Posted By: inthewind Re: When you think of Folk Music..... - 04/18/08 06:05 PM
i do like folk music and new folk artists. there is this one guy from Canada named Jeremy Fisher who bridges the folk and rock genre very very well. i really love his stuff. my fav song from him is probably cigarette. you should really check him out, it may give you a different opinion of folk......
I love folk music. Has anyone seen the movie The Songcatcher? It's about a music teacher's venture to the appalachian mountains in the 1800's and her discovery of their music. It's one of my absolute favorite movies! I wish there were many more like it.

Shay
Is that movie in the rental stores do you think? I would love to see it!
Posted By: Straycat Re: When you think of Folk Music..... - 11/05/08 02:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Phyllis, NA and Folk
We would also all meet at the annual Bluegrass Festival in Grass Valley - that was a blast!

Phyllis, we use to go to Grass Valley every year before we moved to Missouri. Really miss it but there are a lot of festivals here to go to.
When I think of Folk Music, I think of colourful folk costumes, unique way of singing that praises the joy of life, people that lead simple life and are satisfied with it, no haste, beautiful nature, Polish village and fields... smile at leats that's what Polish Folk Music seems to express for me:)
Here in America, I think of people like Joan Baez, Peter, Paul and Mary.......but seeing programs on other countries - the costumes and the steps they do....I admit, I don't think of them, but they are really beautiful costumes and sometimes the meaning behind the dancing is interesting.
© BellaOnline Forums