Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 30 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 29 30
R
Gecko
Gecko
R
Suidpup,

I do not know you and probably we will never meet, but if you can afford a personal shopper in Milan - could you afford a live in nanny? If not - consider taking in a college student as a boarder - free room and board in exchange for being a child rearer.

Get out there and make that $80k back and hire a live in. Perhaps that will give you the time to be you to enjoy your children.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Koala
Koala
L
Robin - I don't think she really has a personal shopper - I think she was trying to say that she DOESN'T do extravagant things, she has just a normal life. But I could be wrong.

Parakeet
Parakeet
This is so true, Mindy. My mother always faked it when other people were around, but I knew that she wasn't capable of love and I suffered for it, too. If a parent knows that they don't love their children they need to get some kind of help. The world doesn't need any more damaged human beings!

J
Amoeba
Amoeba
J
Holy crow. This thread is scary. I am 33 and have been married for almost 4 years. My hubby and I are 99% sure we want to be Child Free by choice but sometimes I wonder "What if....". I think this thread has pushed me to the 100% mark. I'm glad I took a peek at this thread. It was like a glimpse into the future that we are pretty sure we do not want...and I see that not all women are cut out for kids full-time as a parent. I fall into that category. I am always curious about women who "cave-in" so to speak, to the pressure to become a mommy when their heart is not fully into it and how many women regret it. Many women will never admit that they regret it or if they could go back in time, would reverse their decisions. It is hard to have women be so honest and I appreciate the honesty in helping me make my own decision. Wow!

J
J
Hi Jennyt - you are not alone. I think that many, many women experience these very same feelings, but most are too ashamed to talk about it. So first, I commend youo n your bravery for expressing your feelings. It's good to open up discussions on this issue.

I can assure you that this feeling will pass. The early times are so very hard for so many resons. I too had similar feelings. PPD? maybe. But what really got me was I gave up so much to have this little being, and I got NOTHING in return. I know this sounds selfish, but anyone who has experienced having to change their lives alomost entirely will understand.

Now, my daughter is 1.5 years old, and I am loving it! It is so different once you see their little personalities start to form.

Hang in ther; this will pass. (hugs)

S
Shark
Shark
S
Originally Posted By: jmcbride
Now, my daughter is 1.5 years old, and I am loving it! It is so different once you see their little personalities start to form.

Hang in ther; this will pass. (hugs)

You hope. It doesn't always simply "pass". Some people are just not cut out to being parents. It's not that anything is wrong with them. They are just true CF people that made the wrong decision.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Hi Jenny,

I just wanted to tell you something I was told in prenatal classes that I thought was rather odd at the time: If you think of your lifespan as a pie, the slice of pie that will be you as a parent of a dependent child will be very small.

Also, in Mommy and Me classes I remember being told: Your baby is not 'out to get you.'

In some book somewhere I read something like ~ actions lead to feelings, so if you do not feel all the love for your child that you think you should, act as though you enjoy every moment with that child. Feelings follow action.

When my daughter was born, I was surprised at how my place in the world changed. At parties where in earlier days I would talk about whatever topic was at hand with people who saw me as a peer, I became A Baby's Mom ~ with no identity, education, experience or interests before the birth of my child, and only my baby as my interest and identity afterward.

I enrolled in Mommy and Me classes and met a variety of women, some who had their own business, others who were on a serious career path, travelers and athletes, musicians and students. Every so often, I suspect, each one would have identified with you enough to respond to your subject line: Need Support. I Hate Being A Mom.

It sounds like you are the one doing the defining - you may not be the unique and extraordinary mom that you were meant to be, just because you run out of time to reinvent yourself.

It is harder now, with so little time left in a week for us to have personal time, date time, and other vacations from your 'mom' identity. It would be so much better for families, and every individual in a family unit, if we had a month or six weeks of vacation every year, and our weekends were not so filled with what we did not have time to do during the week.

I'm glad that you have found ways to make your time as the mother of a very young child more satisfying and happy. It does make a difference to write down the wonderful things that happen, and to keep in mind what we are thankful for rather than what we might be missing out on.

Some winters when I watch the movie "It's a Wonderful Life" I am shocked at the attitude of the main character, George Bailey. But it would not be as popular a movie as it is if audiences did not see themselves in him. This was a movie that was popular when our parents and grandparents were raising children. That feeling of missed opportunities is not something we invented.

And in those days, it was not uncommon for mothers to leave their children with their grandmothers, aunts or others for a weekend, a vacation, and while at school or work.

I wish that every mom who felt as you did when you wrote your original post would find a way to reach out for comfort and support from other women who understand how complicated we can be, whether we feel fortunate every day to have our children in our lives or we have a desperate certainty that we have made a mistake in changing our identities and responsibilities so dramatically by becoming mothers.

When my daughter was small and our parent ed instructor told us our babies were not 'out to get us,' I laughed. But many times since then I have remembered that and been reassured. My daughter's age-appropriate, developmentally perfect, attitudes and behaviors were something no one warned me about. Although my mother did sometimes say she hoped I would have a daughter just like me someday. At the time, I thought that was a lovely sentiment, not a terrible threat hanging over my head.

Children grow up and fly away from your nest. Enjoy your young life and theirs during the years they anchor your hearts and hands, and make plans so that you are moving toward the goals you feel would give you the greatest happiness and security. Don't forget your romance! You are showing your daughter how she can be happy when she grows up, and you want her to really work at it to keep up with the parents.

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Originally Posted By: Jennyt
Hi I just wanted to know if there are others who are like me so I don't feel alone here. Ever since I have my baby, I just felt so regreted of that decision. I love her as a person, but I hate being her mom. I felt like I missed out my life, my freedom. My life was perfect without her. My hubby and I were madly in love and we travel a lot. We still wanted to do so much adventure together, but now we are trapped in this parenting world. Anyway I know I have no way out but try to be a good mom. But talking to someone who understand would really help.

p.s., we've gone through some conceling but doesn't help. Because basically we just made a big mistake..

Originally Posted By: Jennyt
I think I'm doing better and better now. Actually both me and my husband spend as much time as possible with our daugther, we sing, we tell stories, we laugh. We started to enjoy her a lot more, maybe because she is not yet the terrible 2. But we used to talk a lot, about investment, about our own business, about everything in life. But now we spend all the time with a baby, and by the time she goes to sleep, I am already very tired. So you are right, I need to come up with a plan to make sure we still have "us" time. I keep telling myself, I'm already a very lucky person, I should just enjoy what I have and appreciate them...

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website
E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
one thing i learned when i went through some years of wishing I had waited was the time goes so fast. Almost in the blink of an eye they are grown up and I missed it. Now I enjoy every moment because once it is gone it will never come back. They enjoy that too! So very much. It makes them what they will be. Well done you! I also now get to enjoy my own company, and have adult conversation with my two eldest children.

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

J
Jennyt Offline OP
OP Offline
J
You are very correct Pam, it is funny and "scary" to say I have changed. The love has grown, to be honest, I am not pretending now, I DO enjoy her most of the time.

I think it is really important that mother and daughter needs to be "compatible" in order for the mother to enjoy this process. I truly feel I am lucky that my daughter has grown to be such a fun little girl, who I can already tell she has the personality of understanding, loving and not being stuborn. All of these are the traits that I appreciate and pray for. and She has it all. So I can't help to love her more and more everyday. She is part of my life now, although sometimes I do want to be with my hubby for a while just to be "me".

About lost identity, I do not see that as a big issue in my social life. I do not talk about baby all the time. I talked about traveling, food, investment, everything I am interested in.

Before, when I heard a couple does not have kids, I envy. But now, I thought to myself, I am lucky to have a girl, and I smile when I have this thought.

I understand for those who are child free and saw my post and got scared. To be honest with you, if this post push you to be child free, that's just fate. that means, you are not meant to have kids in your life by destiny. But I have a little girl now, and that is my fate as well, it is hard work, but I feel the joy and love which is also very rewarding. So enjoy your life, child free, or mothers! That is the point of my post, just voice our feeling, and respect each other, and just enjoy life.

E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
well said Jenny T you are a brave woman. May you treasure your childs years. All of you.

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

Page 10 of 30 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 29 30

Moderated by  Lisa - Moms, Traci - Moms 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.