logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#395318 03/19/08 10:17 AM
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
Tell me, do you agree with the view of public officials in CA stating that even if the recent ruling isn't overturned it won't be enforced?

Read my article at:BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Meg
The World is Our Classroom!
Homeschooling

Exotic Pets
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
As a parent, I would be uncomfortable with that situation. There could be an easy administrative remedy. If the Superintendent writes an official agency interpretation of the ruling that is then either added to state agency rules regarding the definition of a "school" and/or supported by the state AG, then at least that would put families in a firmer footing. Agency rules typically have the force of law.

C
C
It would make me uneasy as well. What if a future administration chooses to enforce it?

Last edited by Carletta; 03/20/08 05:03 PM.

www.successful-homeschooling.com - Information, ideas and inspiration from a homeschool mom!
Carletta #396925 03/22/08 06:35 PM
D
Amoeba
Amoeba
D
All I know is that I live in Santa Monica and I'm as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

CHN is asking people to please contact Democratic Assembly Members to urge them to support a resolution against this appellate court ruling, at least in so far as it would apply to homeschooling in general in California. Not only am I going to make some calls, but I'm going to try to make an actual in-person visit! I'm a crunchy-granola type homeschooler, and they want people like me, who aren't homeschooling for religious reasons, to help Democrats understand that homeschoolers are a diverse bunch.

Oof. Well, I edit a homeschooling magazine; so every time I get the heebie-jeebies just thinking about going and talking to some politician, I tell myself that it's good article fodder...

Deborah Markus
Chocolate Editor
B
Koala
Koala
B
I would be more nervous about the two murders in Santa Monica in four days than the homeschooling issue. We are with California Virtual Academy and that is not affected by this case.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
Bonniesa #397951 03/25/08 12:20 AM
D
Amoeba
Amoeba
D
I've heard of California Virtual Academy -- is it legally a charter school? I gather those won't be affected by the ruling, regardless. But many of the homeschoolers I know (myself included) utilize the "private school" -- PSA, formerly R-4 -- option. That seems to be under attack by this recent ruling.

And yes, the news of the murders was very upsetting -- especially the one that happened right across the street from our apartment that had the police knocking on our door at eleven o'clock at night. However, our building is very secure, and this is such a safe neighborhood that, tragic as it is, statistically it's more or less a fluke. If the ruling under discussion has the kind of affect it might, that could impact thousands of California homeschoolers. I'm just hoping it doesn't come to that.

Deborah Markus
Chocolate Editor
Bonniesa #424002 06/05/08 11:11 PM
G
G
Originally Posted By: Bonnie, Autism Editor
We are with California Virtual Academy and that is not affected by this case.

The [name your state] Virtual Academies receive public funding. Students are considered students of the local public school system.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.