logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
Okay, discounts and the like are all very well and good, but what are some of the other advantages to being a mature traveler?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
High esteem and respect in countries where age is honored. Locals who turn away from or 'sniff' at the young globetrotters darting around are often friendlier and marvel at the mature traveller - who takes the time for a nod or a smile or a conversation.

Coupled with that is the reciprocal likelihood that the mature traveller may be more interested in knowing and learning about other cultures rather than in how many places can one get drunk and bed with strangers.

Apologies to the 'mature' younger traveller. But having lived in a high tourist area I'm all too familiar with the 'ugly american' image many of the youth portray.

HeyYou
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Elderhostels!
If you don't know what they are, check www.elderhostel.org
They offer an amazing assortment of trips all over the world, all of which are geared toward learning as well as having fun in a new place. Most are scheduled slightly off-season so the rates are kept low, and they use local experts so you get good information and guidance. While I often travel alone, it is really nice to have that local knowledge when I am exploring a new area.
I have taken 16 Elderhostels so far, and am eagerly awaiting my next one, birding in the Grand Teton national park in Wyoming. I usually take outdoors courses and they are rated for physical activity on a 1-5 scale, so you know what to expect. The people who take Elderhostels are usually interesting, active seniors who are a delight to be with.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Originally Posted By: Claybird
Elderhostels!
If you don't know what they are, check www.elderhostel.org

Great site! I am going to pass this information on to some friends. While browsing, I came across another interesting site. Has anyone tried www.seniorsummerschool.com? You can view a video of an interview they did on the show, Living Live with Florence Henderson.

J
OP Offline
J
Have to say I'm with you re the ElderHostel and similar educational opportunities thing. Everyone I know who has taken courses/trips through those programs have been very positive about their experiences. I have to wait a couple more years before I meet the 55yr minimum age. This is likely the first time since I was 16 that I wished to be older!

Thanks so much for posting the links here so other forum members can check them out.

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Janet, you can take an Elderhostel if you are going with someone who qualifies. I have been to several where a younger spouse, friend or adult child attended.

J
OP Offline
J
Claybird, you're right. I just haven't found anyone a couple of years older than me who is able to travel when I am or who wants to do some of the quirky things I would enjoy. What Elderhostel trips have you taken? Was there a great age difference re the younger attendees (e.g., some would consider a 20-yr-old an adult child while others wouldn't).

Beverly, have you attended any of the senior summer school programs yourself? If so, can you share a bit about your experience?

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
No, I have not tried any of them. Thanks to your forum -this is new info for me.

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Most of the Elderhostels I have taken were for birding, usually in fairly remote areas that I might not have been able to get to easily on my own. Since they were usually level 4 (out of 5)for physical activity the participants were always pretty fit seniors, and when there were younger ones they were usually above 40. The main thing is that everyone was interested in the same thing, which is why they were taking that particular course.
Some of my favorite birding Elderhostels were in Big Bend TX, the Chiricahua Mountains in AZ, Monterrey Bay CA and the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska. I also enjoyed climbing around in Mammoth Cave KY and snorkling in Key Largo FL.

J
OP Offline
J
Claybird, your experience certainly sound like fun. I love the idea of having an educational component to the trips, especially if I'm exploring a culture for the first time or wanting to enhance my knowledge about an area of interest - check out those wine courses in California!

Has anyone taken in tours on the other end of the spectrum, luxury tours? Some are geared for mature travelers. I've heard the trips offered by Horizon & Co are nothing short of amazing. Like the idea of small group travel, too. Anyone been on one of their trips?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Hazel-SeniorTravel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.