Next Thread
Print Thread
#393959 03/17/08 12:40 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
It can make a huge difference on your electric bill (and on the environment) if you just turn off lights when you're not using them. But how about when there's a situation that you'd like a light when you come home, for safety or security?

We found several solutions here that work.

In our kitchen, we swapped out the switch with a sensor switch. It was super easy to do. Now when we enter the kitchen the lights come on automatically. It's great for when you come in with groceries or such. When you leave, they go out. You can also "turn them on" if you want them to stay on, but this is a great alternative to leaving them on when you leave so they'll be on when you get back.

Another option is to get a simple light timer, they have millions of varieties. Set it to come on just before you usually get home so that it's only on for a short period of time to greet you.

We also have motion sensing lights outside both of our main doors, so they light up the path for anyone walking towards the house.

What do you guys to conserve light electricity?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
Koala
Koala
B
The landlord pays for utilities, therefore we have been lenient over the years and keep one light on all day in the living room and the rest get turned off as needed.

I do use nightlights in the kitchen, living room and bathroom and do not use the lights attached to the ceiling fans.

The light outside is motion sensored if I turn it on that way, but I usually only keep it on for a few hours each night.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
If you use nightlights I *really* recommend the new LED ones. They are nice and bright for in the bathroom. Because they use LEDs they draw hardly any power at all smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
B
Koala
Koala
B
I think I might have that kind, they plug into the outlet and just a small green dot of light shows.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
Parakeet
Parakeet
Keep in mind, LEDs will last for practically forever, but they lose luminosity over time. In the first five years of frequent use, the average LED will lose up to 25% of its luminosity. So if you're using them for night lights, where the amount of light emitted per LED is important, you will probably have to replace them within five years, or switch them out, moving the older ones to less essential locations/duties.

We live in an apartment, so installing timers and dimmers on anything but floor and table lamps is not an option for us. If we need or want to leave a light while we're away, we'll leave on one of the kitchen lights. Both the main overhead light fixture and the small light over the sink are fluorescents, not as energy efficient as new LEDs, of course, but definitely less expensive than leaving on something like the full-spectrum bulb in my desk lamp! We don't often leave lights on in unattended rooms, but when we do, it's usually one of the kitchen's fluorescents.

Last edited by myrabeth; 03/20/08 02:43 AM.

Happily Living The Childfree Life!

Moderated by  Farjana_Environment_Ed 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.