Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#386433 03/04/08 10:43 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I have four parakeets and when they are warbling it can be very peaceful. However right now I am trying to work and relax and they are pecking each others' eyeballs out. It is driving me completely insane! My oldest bird is about 11 now and is very slow and weak. The other birds are literally pecking her until she falls onto the cage floor. Then I have to go save her, which lasts a few minutes ... it is just so stressful ...

I am considering putting one bird into solitary smile

I've put on my "sleepytime" music and am trying to soothe them. I thought pets were supposed to help us relax smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
P
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
P
I don't want to scare you but i know from my rescue organization that budgies--under certain conditions--will actually kill another bird, especially a sick/weak one. PLEASE, isolate that bird!! Then, a couple of things to look at:

1. are there enough food cups for each bird to have one?

2. do they have enough space to move around?

This little picked on bird needs your intervention.

pat

patd #389014 03/07/08 06:02 PM
M
Koala
Koala
M
I agree with Pat, Lisa.

It is normal to chase the weak ones away from the flock in order to protect the rest of the flock from preditors. Since they can't chase her away - they could very easily kill her.

Mavis
Mavis #390667 03/10/08 08:15 PM
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Every bird has their own cup of food. Plus they all have treat bars out. Plus there are three separate bathtubs out for them to play in. Plus a big playgym with bells and gnawy things. Plus a big window they hang out in.

They have a HUGE cage and all day long I am in my office so they have the entire office area they fly around in while I am here. They can definitely chase her "away" smile They are just psycho sometimes.

Then I put on the sleepy time music and they all fluff up and warble ...

So then Pinto and Santo, two of my blue birds, decided they were now rivals. Pinto sits on top of the cage like a vulture, staring down at the birds who happen to be inside. Then Santo launches herself inside the cage at the "ceiling" of the cage. Pinto pecks down at Santo's feet. Santo pecks up at Pinto's feet. One of them gives up and then wait a while and then do it again.

It was all fun and games until Pinto actually drew blood on Santo - then we of course had to get Santo calmed down and get her feet cleaned off. Everything's calmed down now, I think Santo has learned her lesson about ceiling-hanging-bat-behavior ...

UPDATE: OK I again say these birds are psycho, Santo went right back to clinging on the underside of the ceiling of the cage and gnawing at Pinto's toes, forcing her to retaliate. We have now covered the entire top of the cage with washcloths, so they can't get at each other any more smile Problem solved! Until they find a new way to chase each other smile

Ah life with four female parakeets ...

Last edited by Lisa Low Carb Ed; 03/10/08 09:58 PM.

Low Carb Forum
P
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
P
Hi Lisa,

Wow...good job at least getting it to stop! Ya, i sure get it about budgies. I love mine (5) but when i was fostering 4 more (9!!!!!) i was just nuts! They were great together but going in the room was crazy! Anyway, the four fosters moved on and i am back to 5 budgies and my other birds! Whew!

I just thought of something else. It may have something to do with hormones. My avian vet (and other's that my rescue group work with) have taught me a lot about hormonal birds. Budgies (and cockatiels) can be hormonal year round. Fern (my vet: BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

patd #390731 03/10/08 10:38 PM
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Well, we've had all of these birds as a family group for I think 10-11 years now, so it would seem odd that hormones were just kicking in now. They do pair up into two "mating couples" The elderly green (Nazo) and Pinto never lay eggs and just sort of cuddle. The younger two (Santo and Ivory) do in fact create an egg every once in a while. But again this has been happening for years so nothing is new or changed about it all. In fact they usually start the egg laying stuff when we occasionally put in a big chewy log for them on their playgym because it feels to them like they're hollowing out a tree for a nest. We only give them the log occasionally because of that nest-building excitement, but they really LOVE chewing on it so we don't want to never give them one.

Their light / dark cycle has been pretty stable for all the years - we have a light on a timer in here which goes on and off. In fact, if anything it is "more stable" now. Up until recently I was a night owl so I would work all night long. Meaning they'd never really get total darkness in here. Now that I've looped myself around to a more normal type of schedule, they do actually get some good dark sleep from say midnight to 7am. So they should be more relaxed than they've ever been in the past smile

I think it's more been an incrementally growing situation. Pinto used to just sit on top of the cage occasionally, staring down vulture like at the other birds inside. Ivory would get a bit annoyed and peck up at her and Pinto would fly away. But Pinto is really loving the vulture power position and is doing it more and more and I think Santo just snapped and had enough of it. So she began flying up to do a fully fledged attack - but Pinto is better with the toe-gnawing and was able to get a hold of a foot or two.

And you think Santo would have learned her lesson having a bloody foot. But noooooooooooo the next chance she got, she went flying right back up at Pinto for payback ...

Low Carb Forum
M
Koala
Koala
M
I don't think they ever learn lessons the way we think they should Lisa. smile Covering the top of the cage was a good move to stop the "between the bars" attacks. I might consider a plexiglass cover instead of the washcloths though, to prevent darker spots inside the cage.

Mavis
Mavis #391905 03/12/08 09:53 PM
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
That sounds like a great idea, Mavis, I think we will move on to that as a more permanent solution smile

Low Carb Forum
B
B
LOL I never tire of budgie antics! I have just over 40 - including chicks and love watching their dominant behaviour.

N
nip Offline
N
Please be sure to follow all the advise because I lost a parakeet through this same means and didn't take Baby Blue out in time. The other parakeet was very sneaky and would ONLY attack when covered or when I wasn't looking. They are smart.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.