Print Thread
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
I have had stomach problems for several decades. I initially depended on doctors to help me. But they got everything wrong. They gave me acid reflux medicine when I had low acid in my stomach. They thought I had an ulcer when I had food allergies. Suffice it to say, you are the best detective of what is causing your stomach issues. Try an elimination diet first to find out if certain foods are contributing to your problem. That's the least expensive and invasive thing you can do. If it solves the problem, you're good to go. If you are like me, food may be just part of the problem. I have gastroparesis, kind of severe form of IBS. Eliminating certain foods has greatly helped so my symptoms are less severe. There are a number of other things I have learned to do to keep my stomach under control. I am chronically my journey to solving my stomach problems on a blog,BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Sheree Welshimer
Allergies and Colds
Allergies and Colds Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
It took almost a year (and them some) before the doctors diagnosed me with Crohn's disease. Because I was having some standard symptoms and some not so standard symptoms it was a matter of trying different suggestions to eliminate suspected illnesses.

At first it was diagnosed as colitis and then Crohn's and now kinda a mutant between the two! I am fortunate in that food has not been a large issue with me on daily basis though I have had to chance my diet during flare-ups. (Soft foods, low fiber, low residue diet - REALLY bad for the waist line!)

The best advice is keep track of what bothers you - learn the warning symptoms - I know when a flare-up is coming and because of this can sometimes prevent it from happening. Most importantly - find a doctor that you feel very comfortable with and can create a lasting relationship. I have been seeing my GI doctor for about five years and she is great. She realizes that *I* understand what is going on with my body and will listen to me and only suggest treatments that we are both comfortable with.

My last piece of advice, in this very long post, is research, research, research. Read books, check the Internet, join discussions and find support groups - learn everything you can about what is happening to your body - it is you best defense!

Parakeet
Parakeet
Thank you, Sheree. I totally agree with your philosophy! I hope you get the chance to check out my articles on IBS and acid reflux. Doctors can only help you with what they know, and usually it isn't much. You definitely have to be your own detective when it comes to your health - medications usually make things worse.

I'm glad you have found something that is working for you! I also went on an IBS elimination diet for 9 months after getting tested with kinesiology, and I did get relief, but unfortunately it didn't last. I finally licked it with TCM, which also involved a good look into childhood abuse. There has been a connection between IBS and abuse, which may or may not be applicable to you.

Good luck with your journey!

J
Gecko
Gecko
J
My mom had IBS and after going to doctors turned to natural means. I know she drank a lot of ginger tea and was really careful of what she ate. She also built up her immune system to she'd be healthier overall.

What she did is create a food journal so she could see where the flare-ups were coming from. She hasn't had any problems for several years now but I'm not sure what else she is doing for it.

hello all. thought i'd stop in and comment as i have IBS and i'm 37 yoa, and my 11 yoa daughter has already shown the signs/reactions. i have been dealing with this for about 3 years now. i have reached a point in my life were i have limited episodes so long as i control and monitor what i eat carefully.

it has been a long road to get to this point, and i'm happy to be here. i will also state that i have gone through some tumultous times emotionally in the last 6 years that i'm positive (and my doctor is positive) have contributed.

i dont take any extra vitamins, i can't stand green tea.
i have elminated all deep friend food, a large bit of pan friend food, all gravy, i moderate my dairy and i stay away from the "high-gas-causing" items such as brocoli, etc.

these rules have made my life livable again.

i used to live in pain with every meal. i lost about 25 lbs (now that was kind of nice! smile and i was miserable all the time and my family was miserable with me.

i look forward to talking with everyone more.

mommyword

Pat - Mommyword

~ dispatchers tell cops where to go

~ may the road rise to meet you
~ may the wind be always at your back
Parakeet
Parakeet
Hi -

From all of the research I have done and experiences I have had with my 26 year struggle with IBS (which is now over!), the jury is still out on food being the cause of IBS. It most definately can aggrivate the condition - however, all fingers do point definitively in both Chinese Medicine and now conventional medicine toward the cause being emotional. IBS is also often misdiagnosed.

Here is an excellent website to check out:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.