#388844 03/07/08 02:55 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I finally broke down and got myself the Yoga for Beginners DVD -

http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Beginners-Barbara-Benagh/dp/B000H8RVSO

Yesterday I watched the intro "interview" and first set of instructions while riding my exercise bike, so I could get a feel for what it was about. Interestingly, Jill had been telling me I had to do back extensions to go with the situps I've been doing and the very first set of instructions are the back extensions!! So I think that's great smile

The videos are *beautiful* with a restful beach in the background. So that is very encouraging and relaxing to me.

The challenge for me is going to be clearing a space in front of the TV where I can do this - the coffee table takes up that area right now. I can slide it to the side I guess.

Any advice as I get started in this? Do I really need a mat? Any recommendations if I do get one? I'd probably get it via Amazon if I could ...

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Zebra
Zebra
Cool, Lisa!

On carpet, you might not need a mat, but on a smooth surface, definitely. It keeps your hands/feet from sliding so you can maintain a pose like downward dog.

I have a big ottoman I push out the way when I'm working out with the TV. I quit coffee tables years ago--too much temptation to pile up stuff. I can cover up a table in no time flat!

One thing I have to say is when I tried to do yoga with videos, I overdid it. My instructor says do what you can do--everybody is different and your own body is different on different days, and listen to your body. Nothing should hurt. In fact, in class, it feels good, but challenging to me. Afterwards, I feel awesome! Another thing with DVDs is I got too impatient! LOL--See why I need yoga! In class, they dim the lights and play soft music, so the whole thing is a relaxing environment.

I think I have a DVD still, and I'm going to try it this weekend to see if I can do it now without feeling impatient or like I have to be a pretzel to do yoga.

Have fun!

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK yes we definitely have a carpet and I can understand the sliding thing. I wonder if I'll get carpet burn with the carpet though. The mat thing is making more sense.

OH NO they have trillions of them in gorgeous colors!!! I thought I would just grab one and be set. Now I have so many options ....

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK I ordered this one -

http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Thick-Deluxe-Density-Yoga/dp/B000PUFEYM

in light lavender smile

We both use laptops while we watch TV so we need the coffee table for those. I do agree it piles up with clutter but my boyfriend is in there most of the day so I try to leave his clutter alone as much as I can smile

OK I am going to go do 20 minutes of biking while I watch the intro yoga thing again, so I can understand what the steps are. I have to remind myself that the dancing works my lower legs mostly, but the biking works my upper legs so they are both important. As much as I just want to go dance some more ... smile but I can't watch yoga videos to learn things while I dance!

Low Carb Forum
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I LOVE yoga! I have been doing yoga for 6 years now and am still learning and improving my strength and flexibility, which is a wonderful accomplishment at my age (73).
Over the years I have gathered a collection of about a dozen DVDs and use them in rotation so I don't get bored of doing the same old practise every day. I particularly like the DVDs that have several different workouts to choose from, Barbara Benagh has one called Essential Flow Yoga that is good.
Have fun!

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, you will have to document how the DVD is working for you. I was thinking of getting it too, but I am worried I won't use it.

Is it really all in the front of the ocean? Is there music? Myabe it would be peaceful in the background whether or not i am actually doing yoga, so i can absorb the techniques while I also do other things?

did you get your mat yet? Mine is still not in but some of the rest of that order did show up (balance disc, twist disc).

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Most of the yoga DVDs are filmed in beautiful natural settings. Rodney Yee has some filmed high on a hill overlooking the ocean in Hawaii, others in the Joshua Tree desert in California. I have others DVDs that are set in Sedona, Arizona with awesome orange mountains in the background.
And you may be surprised to know that most Target stores have a decent exercise department that carries yoga mats.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jill - YES this one is in front of a really pretty ocean and beach, it is very peaceful looking. To me that was a big advantage of this. I don't think there is any music - just her "talking over the moves". As in, the person on the screen isn't talking, she is just doing the moves. But you hear the gentle voice describing what is going on.

Yes that is what I was doing, watching it while I biked so I could enjoy the scenery and start to learn the moves.

My mat just came in today!! I'll do a separate thread on that smile

I had another woman I know (the Tupperware lady) who does yoga also recommend Rodney Yee's DVD's, I'll think about that once I get the hang of this one smile

Low Carb Forum
Lisa, that sounds so great! Hope you enjoy the yoga. I would like to try it, but am 63 now and not sure if I could start something like that. I do a little Tai Chi once in awhile, but yoga looks pretty difficult to me. What do you think? Is there a version to start out really slooooooow to tone up first?

I like the purple mat.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Phyllis - it definitely starts out very slowly. It starts just with laying on the mat. You maybe stretch a leg out behind you or something like that - only as far as feels comfortable for you.

OK I have a new theory. I have my lovely purple mat and I am going to put it in front of the front door. I can then put my laptop on the stairs (which are in front of the door) and see on my laptop what I am supposed to do.

Off I go!

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 06:17 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/27/24 08:14 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.