#388844 03/07/08 02:55 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I finally broke down and got myself the Yoga for Beginners DVD -

http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Beginners-Barbara-Benagh/dp/B000H8RVSO

Yesterday I watched the intro "interview" and first set of instructions while riding my exercise bike, so I could get a feel for what it was about. Interestingly, Jill had been telling me I had to do back extensions to go with the situps I've been doing and the very first set of instructions are the back extensions!! So I think that's great smile

The videos are *beautiful* with a restful beach in the background. So that is very encouraging and relaxing to me.

The challenge for me is going to be clearing a space in front of the TV where I can do this - the coffee table takes up that area right now. I can slide it to the side I guess.

Any advice as I get started in this? Do I really need a mat? Any recommendations if I do get one? I'd probably get it via Amazon if I could ...

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Zebra
Zebra
Cool, Lisa!

On carpet, you might not need a mat, but on a smooth surface, definitely. It keeps your hands/feet from sliding so you can maintain a pose like downward dog.

I have a big ottoman I push out the way when I'm working out with the TV. I quit coffee tables years ago--too much temptation to pile up stuff. I can cover up a table in no time flat!

One thing I have to say is when I tried to do yoga with videos, I overdid it. My instructor says do what you can do--everybody is different and your own body is different on different days, and listen to your body. Nothing should hurt. In fact, in class, it feels good, but challenging to me. Afterwards, I feel awesome! Another thing with DVDs is I got too impatient! LOL--See why I need yoga! In class, they dim the lights and play soft music, so the whole thing is a relaxing environment.

I think I have a DVD still, and I'm going to try it this weekend to see if I can do it now without feeling impatient or like I have to be a pretzel to do yoga.

Have fun!

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK yes we definitely have a carpet and I can understand the sliding thing. I wonder if I'll get carpet burn with the carpet though. The mat thing is making more sense.

OH NO they have trillions of them in gorgeous colors!!! I thought I would just grab one and be set. Now I have so many options ....

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK I ordered this one -

http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Thick-Deluxe-Density-Yoga/dp/B000PUFEYM

in light lavender smile

We both use laptops while we watch TV so we need the coffee table for those. I do agree it piles up with clutter but my boyfriend is in there most of the day so I try to leave his clutter alone as much as I can smile

OK I am going to go do 20 minutes of biking while I watch the intro yoga thing again, so I can understand what the steps are. I have to remind myself that the dancing works my lower legs mostly, but the biking works my upper legs so they are both important. As much as I just want to go dance some more ... smile but I can't watch yoga videos to learn things while I dance!

Low Carb Forum
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
I LOVE yoga! I have been doing yoga for 6 years now and am still learning and improving my strength and flexibility, which is a wonderful accomplishment at my age (73).
Over the years I have gathered a collection of about a dozen DVDs and use them in rotation so I don't get bored of doing the same old practise every day. I particularly like the DVDs that have several different workouts to choose from, Barbara Benagh has one called Essential Flow Yoga that is good.
Have fun!

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, you will have to document how the DVD is working for you. I was thinking of getting it too, but I am worried I won't use it.

Is it really all in the front of the ocean? Is there music? Myabe it would be peaceful in the background whether or not i am actually doing yoga, so i can absorb the techniques while I also do other things?

did you get your mat yet? Mine is still not in but some of the rest of that order did show up (balance disc, twist disc).

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Most of the yoga DVDs are filmed in beautiful natural settings. Rodney Yee has some filmed high on a hill overlooking the ocean in Hawaii, others in the Joshua Tree desert in California. I have others DVDs that are set in Sedona, Arizona with awesome orange mountains in the background.
And you may be surprised to know that most Target stores have a decent exercise department that carries yoga mats.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jill - YES this one is in front of a really pretty ocean and beach, it is very peaceful looking. To me that was a big advantage of this. I don't think there is any music - just her "talking over the moves". As in, the person on the screen isn't talking, she is just doing the moves. But you hear the gentle voice describing what is going on.

Yes that is what I was doing, watching it while I biked so I could enjoy the scenery and start to learn the moves.

My mat just came in today!! I'll do a separate thread on that smile

I had another woman I know (the Tupperware lady) who does yoga also recommend Rodney Yee's DVD's, I'll think about that once I get the hang of this one smile

Low Carb Forum
Lisa, that sounds so great! Hope you enjoy the yoga. I would like to try it, but am 63 now and not sure if I could start something like that. I do a little Tai Chi once in awhile, but yoga looks pretty difficult to me. What do you think? Is there a version to start out really slooooooow to tone up first?

I like the purple mat.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Phyllis - it definitely starts out very slowly. It starts just with laying on the mat. You maybe stretch a leg out behind you or something like that - only as far as feels comfortable for you.

OK I have a new theory. I have my lovely purple mat and I am going to put it in front of the front door. I can then put my laptop on the stairs (which are in front of the door) and see on my laptop what I am supposed to do.

Off I go!

Low Carb Forum
Zebra
Zebra
I got to both yoga classes this week. On Wed, our regular instructor got back from a yoga conference in LA. She had taken some course in hip and shoulder poses. My painful areas--I felt much better after class.

She also explained to us how yoga breathing also helps tone some of the chest & ab muscles that don't get very much action otherwise. That was interesting.

And, I am finally getting a bit better at the balancing poses.

Phyllis, several of the members of my class appear to be in their late fifties to mid sixties. Some of them are beginners like me, but there are a couple who have better upperbody strength, flexibility and balnace than I do. But, I am more flexible than my 24 year-old daughter, too. So it's totally a fitness thing you can do at any age and forever. I wish I'd discovered it earlier. (Like they were hiding it from me!)

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK I just did the 10 minutes backbend session - i.e. the first part of the easy set. It was lovely! The ocean waves were wooshing gently in the background. The sun was shining, although she was in a shaded tent (something I really like). Her voice was easy. I found that I kept looking "sideways" to see what was going on, because I had the mat laid out lengthwise in front of the stairs. So next time I will put the laptop at the end of the mat, so I can see it when I'm facing down the length of the mat.

It was very easy. It was all lying on the mat, just stretching the legs or stretching the arms. I am definitely not stretched out, and I was doing OK with it.

Well recommended!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Yes Deb it was a great conspiracy, the whole world was hiding the idea of yoga from you smile

Low Carb Forum
Zebra
Zebra
I know! Shame on everyone!

F
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
F
I've probably recommended this before, but have any of you tried www.yogatoday.com. Check it out! It's AWESOME! It has seriously changed my life.

I was using DVD's before to do yoga, which are still great, but they do get repetitive after awhile. YogaToday has a new class every day. Some of the classes are geared for all levels, and some for beginning or advanced. There are 3 teachers, and I really like all of them (though do have a favorite).

Also, the classes are in Wisconsin in beautiful settings!

As far as DVD's, I've tried a few. I find Rodney Yee to be really challenging because he keeps you moving fast. A DVD I really like for beginners is "Yoga for Weight Loss" with Suzanne Deason. I always feel so good after that one, but not sure how much weight loss really happens. It helps my back feel better though.

Thanks Lisa and Deb for the encouragement. I am going to give it a try after I am settled in my new home. Glad you are enjoying it, Lisa.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
That sounds like a wonderful way to welcome a new home! Although if it'll be a while before you move, maybe yoga would help you reduce the stress of moving smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK another update on this DVD. I just tried part 2 - the 20 minute "standing poses". These are definitely "harder" than the part 1 (as you might hope). They involved standing on one leg and lunge positions. So this will definitely be an area that I will (hopefully) show an improvement in over time. I can still see that they are "beginner type" things but they do give you a little bit of a challenge here. The voice is still soft and smooth and the background is very pretty and peaceful.

Ironically when I had done the first 10 minute "laying down" set I had put the mat sideways to the screen, and it would have been much better laid out head-on from a watching perspective. So this time for part 2 I put the mat head-on to the TV - but for this set it would have been much easier to watch from a sideways angle smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK I just did the part 1 backbend 10 minute segment again. This time I had the mat pointing towards the tv. It was easier to see this way although even with the coffee table out of the way I was still "too close" so it was hard to lift my head that high to see what she was doing smile But I'm sure with time I'll get to know what the poses are and just have to listen to her verbal cues without watching every moment.

Which brings me to a complaint about this video. Occasionally she'll make a comment about "cobra pose" but I never know if she means the pose we're in now or the pose we're about to do. She doesn't identify the poses as we go. Since this is a beginner video it would be nice if at each pose it said in the bottom right "cobra pose" or something so I could learn them ...

Low Carb Forum
Koala
Koala
In time you will lember up enough so you can raise your head enough to see the tv NOW THATS MOTIVATION!!!!!!!!! laugh

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
LOLOL ok that is too funny smile The TV is up on a pedestal thing so I'd have to have some sort of a snake neck to do that I think, but it can certainly be a goal of mine!!

Our yoga editor has asked me for some ghost writing help for the next few weeks so I think I'll make up some pages for her on the basic stances. That will both help me and help others, I think. The only question is how I'm going to get copyright-free images to go with them. I'll see what I can find!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, take pics of yourself smile heehee

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
ummmmm no, I've only done yoga twice so far, I doubt my posture is an ideal one smile

Plus I can only imagine the difficulty of getting my camera set up on a timer to do that!!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Okay, so my mat came in and I did the lying down and dog/cat type beginner poses with my book. It was hard to have to keep referring to the book while learning the proper breath and stance, etc.

DH and I did some together and it was easier to have one person hold the book and read from it and check on the other person's stance.

Then we remembered we had a Yoga DVD somewhere so we dug it up and tried that. No pretty background - just a slightly zen room. I don't know the name of the DVD since we had just labeled it "yoga."

It was okay. It was hard to figure things out and keep up with her, even though it was a beginner's DVD. Maybe because she started with standing poses and moving Asanas, which i don't really feel ready for. And it's hard to both try the poses and watch the DVD.

A real class would probably be helpful but as I don't like leaving the house I will probably keep trying the book and the video.

I do think Lisa's video sounds the nicest. The ocean would be very relaxing.

In spite of these issues I mentioned, I did find my half hour of yoga to be very cool - both invigorating and relaxing at the same time. smile

Last edited by Jilly; 03/15/08 08:16 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Bob can take the pics of you. whistle

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I found some art.com images which I can use as long as I link to art.com so that worked out well smile

I definitely recommend my yoga DVD for beginners. The first moves are all laying down and are quite doable. Then the next set are all standing and although one requires you to balance on one foot it is still something you can at least try. She goes very slowly and you have time to figure out what you're doing.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK segment three was about strength and balance. Some of these were challenging (for me) poses, like lying on your side and then pressing up on one arm so your weight was supported with say your right arm while your legs were out straight down the mat. My arms aren't quite that strong yet. There were also push up style poses where you lay on your chest then put both arms straight into the mat and pushed yourself up and held there. So nothing 'strenuous' in the sense of being active - but muscle building in terms of being able to hold yourself up and stay balanced.

Again these all seemed doable to me, but ones I was weak on currently and could imagine myself getting "progress quickly" as time goes by. It was a 20 minute segment.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Okay, sold! I ordered the DVD that Lisa has. It sounds perfect, the ocean sights and sounds, and the sense that it is really *really* for beginners (not like the one i have, which may be for beginners but is still sorta too fast).

I DO like my Yoga book, since it tells me where to breathe and shows lots of angles on the same position and is very detailed. I have a few other yoga books but the one I have started using is fairly nice intro and I expect will be a good companion to the DVD i just ordered.

I think I will start a thread on yoga books, but tomorrow. Am tired and ready for bed right now. smile

Last edited by Jilly; 03/17/08 03:20 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I really meant to do segment 4 tonight but I just got too sleepy. I am also off to bed too Jilly - I'll see you in the morning!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, about segment three, i imagine as people are starting yoga it's a muscle memory thing instead of weakness per se. That's how it is with rock climbing. At first the motions in a new posture are ungainly, but once you've executed a move a few times, your body starts to recognize/remember what you are asking of it, and learns to get more efficient at it.

Last edited by Jilly; 03/17/08 03:28 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I don't know, it really was that my arm couldn't hold up my body's weight smile I think it will get stronger as I go ...

I just tried "Sun Salutations" which is the 4th out of the 5 basic programs on this DVD. There are also "full routines" on this DVD which are set up for a variety of purposes like winding down before bed. Where the full routines are generally long, these getting started sets are short - 10-30 minutes. Sun salutations was 20 minutes.

This is the first one I hit where I really felt like I couldn't do some of them smile It wasn't even that they were that hard! But because I want to review the DVD for you all I'm "moving up a level" every day. I think realistically that's too fast smile In this one you're transitioning from one position to another and my arms just aren't that strong yet. it's not that they are complicated, but my arms can't do it. Then there is the infamous "downward Facing Dog" where you make an inverted V with your body, with your hands going up to your hips high in the sky then back down to your feet.

Bob: "Are you supposed to look like the lady on the screen?"
Me: (gasp) "I am just trying to survive the 20 minutes" (gasp)
Bob: "Oh, ok."

I wasn't anywhere near an inverted V smile There were parts I could do, and parts that I couldn't do. But again, nothing looked "impossible". It was just that I wasn't that flexible yet. And I could see how practicing the previous stages more would give me that flexibility. So I do have hope.

This segment has a very relaxing warm up period - sweeping your arms around, stretching and such - before it gets into the full movements. So I think this will be a very enjoyable one once I can do it. But not yet smile

The final segment is on "Seated Hip Openers". I have no idea what that entails. I am a little nervous if it is "more challenging" than this one.

I know - let's just fast forward through it a bit.

She does say frequently "If you cannot do this yet, do x instead" - so she eases you along.

OK I just fast forwarded through it and I feel very encouraged. Nothing "hard" in there at all! It's all stretches from lying down or sitting. I'm not saying they're easy stretches - but they are all good stretches and ones you could do "as much as possible". So I think I will try that tomorrow.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Maybe you are pushing through it too fast, my friend. I plan on trying my yoga lessons really really slowwwwly when my DVD comes in. I mean, you are kinda doing the higher level stuff within only, what, two weeks of starting yoga? smile

I am obviously not a yoga expert (or even beginner yet), but I do know about fitness and proper progression of workouts/physical skills. I actually know a lot about it, from my instructing Outward Bound and teaching rock climbing and my whole 20s, early 30s as a wilderness instructor. smile

So think about it this way. You were pretty sedentary and now you are biking like a rock star. You are also bowflexing and dancing - that is all incredible! But things requiring slow movements and flexibility and proper breathing are far harder than one might think looking in from the outside. Slow motion requires more minute attention to detail and is actually harder than direct *pow* action. smile

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Oh definitely if I just had this for me I'd be going much more slowly through the lessons, staying on a certain lesson for a week or two to really learn it smile

So I don't mind that it's challenging, but I want to be able to explain what each segment is like to everyone without taking 2 months to do it smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK I just finished with "Seated Hip Openers". What's interesting is in the beginning I thought 10 minutes was a long stretch but now I'm doing 30 minute segments without minding. I am becoming more relaxed smile

This one was actually pretty lovely and relaxing. It was just long stretches. Sure, some of them I couldn't do well, like the "split" stretch, but I could still do them slightly and could imagine that I'd get better over time.

This is the first one that I thought I'd want an "accessory" for. In other ones they talk about using blankets or pillows if you want. In this one they talked about having foot "straps" which I think would feel really nice, to stretch your hamstrings. You hold an end of the strap in each hand and press your foot out into it to let you stretch more.

Now oddly I thought this was a rubber stretchy strap but looking on Amazon it appears they mean a woven belt-like strap ...

Low Carb Forum
Zebra
Zebra
Yoga straps are woven, like a canvas belt, but you can certainly use a resistance band, too. In fact, last night, my instructor said she liked them for hamstring stretches. I am using the regular band for shoulder stretches--I think they're called cowface or something goofy. Yep, here it is:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

F
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
F
I just use the belt on my bathrobe, any kind of belt, the tie from the curtain...anything within grabbing distance.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
lol I'd be afraid I'd snap something that wasn't meant for it!

Deb - I am actually really tempted to get one of those cool meditation pillows now. I suppose I should post that in the meditation forum smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK before I forget the five advanced sessions are:

basics - 70 min
energizing - 40 min
strength - 70 min
rejuvinate - 30 min
quieting - 55 min

because it's 3am now I am going to go for quieting and then go to sleep. So I'm doing these out of order but I'll try to make sure I review them all for you.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
ooo, my DVD should be at the post office today! I am excited to go get it. smile

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I did the quieting - 55 min set. It was very relaxing, lots of long stretches. Having done all the "basics" it was quite doable. During several parts I wasn't even watching the screen, just listening to her and doing the moves with her. I needed the strap again but I used a substitute since I hadn't gotten my real strap in yet. I really enjoyed it a lot and while I thought 55 minutes would take a "long time" it did go by nice and relaxed and quickly.

I think tonight I will try the 30 minute set to see how that goes smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
That sounds very nice nice and relaxing Lisa. I can't wait to get my DVD.

It wasn't at the Post Office yesterday. Boo.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Aargh. I just checked my tracking at Amazon - my DVD probably won't show til march 28th!

That's okay, I still have my yoga books.

I am thinking not to use my free 1st yoga session until after i try the DVD a bit. Advice on that?

In good news, DH says he will go too and do it also. smile

Zebra
Zebra
Jilly, I know (from another post) that you live in a tiny town, so you might not have the kind of cable I do where there are "On Demand" channels. But, in case you do, try the Exercise on Demand or FIT TV channel. They have some yoga shows on there. Usually pretty short, too. I think they're still too advanced for me (at least the couple I tried), but it's worth watching.

And, here's a freebie you can download on your computer--20 poses. I haven't, because I have no space to do yoga in my office, and I have another DVD, but I might watch this one just to see what they do. (I think they do a headstand, which is admirable, if not downright show-off-y! I'm sure I'm years or even lifetimes away from this pose!)

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

F
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
F
I'm going to check that out.

Jilly and others,
There are free new yoga classes every day on the www.yogatoday.com website. You need DSL, but they're totally free and great!!! They have all levels. Try it out!

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
That is great news about Dan going with you!! I'm sure that'll be lots of fun!

My personal take on the class/DVD thing would be to watch the DVD a few times first and get the hang of some of the basics "doing it live" and following someone. That gets you into the rhythm of listening and watching someone for instructions. You can get yourself used to doing that before you go do it with an actual live human smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK today I did the

rejuvinate - 30 min

session. It was wonderful! You don't need the strap for this one, but they do have you use pillows, and at one point you lay on your back with your legs up against a wall / chair / other solid thing. It was VERY relaxing and refreshing. I really did feel much more relaxed after it was through. It was a lot of deep breathing and slow motions. So I really like this one.

I think I have three left to try? They all seem more active. I'll try to try one tomorrow!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Deb and Frieda, those are great resources, thank you. I will try those and let you know what I think. smile

yes I will be so pleased to learn yoga with Dan. smile it sounds like a nice "couple" activity.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I don't think I can get Bob to do yoga with me - there is *barely* enough room for one mat in front of the TV right now and when I lay down and stretch out my arms they're laying on piles of cables smile But maybe someday when we get this living room really cleaned up ...

Low Carb Forum
I'm sure Bob will enjoy just sitting back watching you.

Rosie L
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK I have just finished the energizing - 40 minute cycle. Ironically I have these nifty new straps and this set didn't use ANY props at all! smile

This began with a number of stretches and then went into a backbend set - lots of downward facing dogs, segueing into lunges, segueing into supported front push-up positions. My arms were killing me, but unlike the other time, I did actually go through it all without having to give up on a pose. I definitely didn't do them all "fully" but I did at least stay on my arms. I will be building up some arm strength here in a while!!

It was nice and energizing, but I think mostly because my arms just aren't that strong yet I didn't enjoy it as much as some of the other sessions. This probably goes on my list of "sessions to do in a while when I am better at this".

This means I have two left to test out for you guys -

basics - 70 min
strength - 70 min

These are the longest ones. 70 minutes sounds like really long to me but I just did 40 minutes which used to sound quite long to me. So I'll try the basics one next. To be honest, I may just half-watch, half-do strength when I get to it. If it's harder than this I don't think my body is up to it yet, but I can at least give you a sense of what it's about smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
you are such a trooper Lisa!

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I think I will try basics tomorrow, it is definitely next on my list! I realized I hadn't gotten my taxes in yet to the tax processor so I am hard at work categorizing everything and filing everything, trying to bring some order to my office ... I really do need the yoga smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK I did the 70 minute basics routine today. By this point I understand all of her instructions so I really don't have to watch the screen much, just follow along with what she's saying and pay attention to what I am doing.

I still have a *lot* of progress I can make. When I sit with my legs spread apart to either side, they are more V shaped than straight smile My arms still wobble when I hold myself up in lunge positions. But I can "go through" the routine from start to finish, and I can see progress happening. So that is good!

That just leaves one session left - the strength building one which is also 70 minutes. I'll try that one next. I have a sense that I won't be able to make through it - but I'll see what I can do!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
My Yoga DVD is here! Yay! I will give it a shot with DH today. smile

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Okay, I watched a few sections while on the treadmill, then put on the standing poses part of the DVD to actually do. DH and I did them together and we felt great! I will do the 10 minute back extensions next.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
It's great that you've got your DVD!!

Yes it really does feel so nice to stretch out, and the breathing part becomes almost a normal part of you. I was doing the breathing today while filling up the humidifier and it relaxed all of my muscles.

Today I did the last session I hadn't tried yet - the strength 70 minute one. As I had expected, it was a bit too hard for me right now. I had to "give up" on one of the downward dogs, and I completely couldn't even try one of the other moves. It was a move where you stretch out lying down. Then you get up on your hands and balls of your feet - like you're doing a push-up. Then you go to just one hand and reach the other up at the sky. My wrist completely failed me on that one smile

But still, I'm not discouraged by that. I'm actually encouraged that the DVD has things for me to "grow into" as I build up my strength.

So again by this point I can follow along with most of her directions without looking, and I really like several of the sessions. So now I can start doing them by what I'm in the mood for (relaxing, stretching etc).

I really like this DVD still, and am quite glad I got it!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Wow, you did it all Lisa! I am impressed. That seems like a pretty fast learning curve - you go!

Today I did the Standing Poses again and the Back Extensions. They were lovely, although it's tough to have to turn my neck to see what she is doing when i should be hanging my head or looking up or such. But I really liked the Back Extensions and the relaxed poses like crocodile and child's pose.

I enjoyed the tree poses more than the bending down ones in the standing section. Mountain pose feels really good after those bending stretches. smile

Then i got on the treadmill and watched the other beginning segments. The Seated Hip Openers looks wonderful and I want to try that next. Strength and the Sun Salutations look the hardest out of the beginner sets.

Dan just came and took over the TV to play Xbox Live so I decided to reread what Lisa wrote here about her experience with the DVD. It's like having a friend introduce me to it! smile

I will also take a look at the other resources listed on this thread. My plan is: spend some weeks in the beginner segments. Move slowly into the moving segments. Work through my yoga books and maybe some of the websites like Yoga Today.

Once I feel more confident about the poses and moving between them i will go to that free class lesson in my town so a live human tell me if i am doing proper stances/poses.

Okay, that's my plan. Now, to go find something to use as a strap!

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jill - definitely in the beginning it felt a little frustrating to try to do something plus watch her to see what I was supposed to be doing. But hang in there - after a few times you hear her words and know what the move is and it all starts to fall together. Just "expect" at the beginning to be a bit stuttery as you figure out the things.

Yes mountain pose was very relaxing and nice!! I am getting better at tree pose too - it's almost starting to feel like I can balance on one foot smile

Bob is playing Turok on the Xbox right now smile Those boys!! Interfering with our yoga experiments ...

I definitely recommend just practicing with the beginner ones for a while. Then when you go into the longer sessions, you will flow smoothly through them because all the things she says, you'll know right away what she means. You just glance over occasionally to keep in tune with her.

and then yes, you can go to the class and get some "fine tuning" done smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Well I did the Backbends and Standing Poses sections today with Dan. It was lovely. I love the backbends! The triangle pose is still not my favorite but i was more comfortable with it today.

I want to try Seated Hip Openers maybe tonite or tomorrow.

Anyway, so that was 30 minutes and then I used two of my books for pose refinement and did 30 minutes more with those.

I look forward to getting better at this. have not needed a strap yet, but I dug a length of webbing from my climbing gear, so am ready to try that.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I think there was only 2 sessions that used the strap, so it's not very necessary. Still, it's good to have something when you hit those moments!

It's so great that you're doing things together with Dan!

Low Carb Forum
F
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
F
Originally Posted By: Jilly
The triangle pose is still not my favorite but i was more comfortable with it today.

I've grown to really like the triangle pose, but didn't at first either. Now it feels like it loosens my lower back. The pose that's still hard for me is the side angle pose.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
For those who need visuals, a triangle pose involves you having your feet fairly wide apart. You then lean over and touch one foot with the opposite hand (so say your right hand reaches down to your left foot). Then you stretch the free hand up to the sky smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Today I did the Back Extensions again (it's a nice warmup for the other sequences) and then tried the Seated Hip Openers. That was very nice and most of it was pretty easy. The hardest part was the last part with the 'split.' That one is going to take some work before i can put my head on the ground. We are probably talking years. smile

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
You mean the one where you sit down and have your legs spread, and try to make the right leg go far right and the left leg go far left? Yes I think that is something that I will work on for years too smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Yep that's the one. The last pose. I am no where near close. lol. I think I can do a little further than a 90 degree angle with my legs spread and that's about it. Forget lowering my head to the ground! Yet I have faith it will come eveeeentuaaally.

But the rest of the moves in that section are basically just normal stretches, stuff I do anyway. smile

I still need to do the Balance/Strength one and the Sun Salutations one. Not sure which is the best seque.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I don't think I even reach 90 degrees smile I remember I used to do much better with this pose so it was pretty amazing to me when I sat down to do this with the yoga DVD thinking "Oh this is easy". And then I tried to stretch my legs and said "Hey wait a minute, what happened here???" smile

Yes definitely this is one of those poses where you can sense how it will get so much better over time smile

Both of those ones have some "strength required" moves in them so as long as you go into them knowing you might not be able to do every pose yet, you'll be fine smile And heck, you probably could breeze right through them where my arms were trembling! smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Well, we shall seeee. smile

It's funny - I came to my first pose where she said to use a strap and I was so thrilled! I was absurdly excited to use my strap in a pose. Isn't that weird?

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
he he he

I felt the same way when I finally got to use my strap! And I *really* like the strap poses. They feel great for my legs.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
heehee, I am glad i am not the only one, Lisa. smile

Tonite Dan and I did the Strength/Balance section. It was for sure the hardest part yet. Dan was better at the sitting ones and I was better at the holding yourself up ones. it was pretty cool - i felt the blood rushing through my forearms immediately after, and got the sense that Dan was impressed with my stamina.

Not sure how to do the core breathing. There is a lot to concentrate on at one time.

Still have to try the sun salutation one. for some reason, it's the one i am most nervous about.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
That is so great about your strength!! I knew you'd be good at that smile

Core breathing seems to be something you get the hang of with time. The more you go through the sessions the more natural it gets. So think of it as just a reminder for now, but don't worry too much about it. It starts to sink in after a while.

Sun salutations does involve a few challenging poses but again it's like the legs-to-your-side pose - they are poses that you can understand in your head, and know that eventually your body can do it. So it's a rewarding challenge - a sense that soon you'll be able to do it smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Dan and I did the Seated Hip Openers again. It's 30 minutes but goes by so quickly! Most of that one is pretty easy. Except for the last pose with the split. smile

I loved using my strap, once again. That one is very relaxing. I was able to get a lot further this time with the two strap poses this time.

It's funny that I at first thought that ten minutes was long time with yoga, and now 30-40 minutes goes by very quickly.

Still nervous about the Sun Salutations session. I need to do that one soon, before it becomes a "thing." hee hee.

I sure am having a LOT of fun with this DVD. smile

I will probably keep doing the Getting Started sessions before going on to the "real sessions." I want to be proficient in the basics at least before heading on. So I imagine a few more times with the Strength/Balance one, trying the Sun Salutation one, and doing each of the "easier ones" (back extension, standing and seated hip openers) a few more times to get ready.

Lisa, now that you have done them all in this DVD, what do you find yourself doing mostly now?

Last edited by Jilly; 04/06/08 04:37 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Yes I had the same time thing happen - at first setting aside 10 minutes seemed like a huge deal - but by the end doing 70 minutes felt very natural. So it becomes a part of your world smile

I haven't done any new sessions since when I posted - it's a TV time challenge here. Bob watches the TV all the time when he's here so he has to be gone plus I have to be not working. So far the stars haven't aligned again smile

Yes definitely practicing the beginning sessions and getting to know them sounds like a great idea!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK you spurred me on - when Bob was out today I did the 70 minute basics set. Bob only called me 3 times to interrupt me during the set. On the last call I put him on speakerphone so I could keep working while he talked to me.

I do think I'm getting better at the stretchy parts! Bob said I should get a ruler to measure the distance between my knees on the spread-legs stretch, to see how I do better over time.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
That's great - 70 minutes still seems like a lot to me! Although i did do 50 minutes today. Dan and I did the 20 mins Sun Salutations, which neither of us liked. She went too fast and the transitions between the poses felt awkward. So I don't know how many times I will be doing this section. I know lots of people like doing those but this was the first part I pretty much disliked.

Anyway, then I did the 20 minutes of Standing Poses and then my favorite, the 10 minute Back Extensions.

So now I have tried all the basics sections of the DVD and am casting a look at the next parts (like the quieting). I think I will do the basics Strength/Balance one a few more times first.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Tell Bob that is a good idea about measuring the stretch, Lisa!

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Well he was joking that I would only need a ruler (like a 12" ruler) because my stretch was so feeble smile But we'll see!

Yes the sun salutations are not high on my list of things right now. But the basics was nice, it uses the strapppy thing and I really do feel "taller" after doing it.

That is so great that you're trying different combinations!

The quieting one is just SO nice and relaxing. It's more a "resting meditation" than a real stretch, but sometimes that's what you need.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Well, i thought maybe a measuring tape, not a ruler. smile

last night Dan and i did the strength/balance one again. I have to say the plank pose and subsequent ones put some painful pressure on the heels of my hand. That can't be right. Or maybe you get used to it?

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Well seeing as how my entire arms are shaking in those poses, I think you are way ahead of me if you're only worrying about pressure in your hand smile You've got the entire weight of your torso bearing down on your hand! Maybe try putting a towel or something more padded beneath your hands for that part?

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
yeah, i was wondering if that would help. Or maybe a thicker mat like yours? It feels like it's bruising my lower palms and that is a pity, as i can't relax into the pose (i am too busy thinking ow, my hands!).

F
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
F
Lisa's idea of the towel reminded me...I've heard teachers say to fold over your mat so it's doubled-up under your knee, if the poses where there's weight on your knee hurt. Maybe that would help your hands to double it up under your hands.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
That's a very good idea Frieda! I bet that would work.

I imagine too that your hands "strengthen" and get used to bearing your weight. Just like it would be hard to walk on your hands at first but then once you got used to it your hands would do better with it.

Low Carb Forum
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Jill,
Try putting more of your weight on the base of your fingers and the fingers themselves, to even up the stress on your hands. It sounds like you are putting all the weight on the heels of your hands and that is not good for your wrists.
Namaste!

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Those are great ideas. I will try rolling up the mat under my hands and try to put more weight on my fingers. Mainly I don't want to stress out my wrist joints.

yes, i am hoping the weight bearing gets more comfortable. that makes sense - some of those more complex yoga poses are all on the hands.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Oh, and Dan and I just did the rejuvenating session, 30 minutes. It was weird - it was really just lying on the floor, and then lying against the wall. It didn't feel like yoga so much as meditation.

Although it was nice and all, and I can see where I might use that after a stressed out day, I think I need to go do one of the other ones now, one that feels yoga-like. smile

Last edited by Jilly; 04/09/08 11:41 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Yes definitely that is the "bottom session" right? That was very much just relaxing and peaceful, like meditation. But yes I agree, when you're in the mood for something more stretchy and active, that one is a little TOO stationary smile

It seems great for end of the day, when you're wound up, a way to relax again.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I did end up doing 20 minutes of yoga after that, from memory - poses I liked in a routine that seemed to make sense to me. I will have to write down this sequence and memorize it - it felt very right.

Yes, Dan really liked that one. But he is better at stillness than I am. It was a bit odd that this one was chopped up into parts, and not seamless like the routines in the Basics Sessions.

It wasn't the Quieting one but the one called Rejuvenating. My guess is the idea is when you've been cramped up at the computer all day or just get home all [censored] from various frustrations, that's the one to do.

Maybe I should try it in the morning sometime, since I am pretty much a zombie for several hours upon wakening. It might be a help to try that gentle type of session just then, before my decaf coffee.

Last edited by Jilly; 04/10/08 07:59 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
You'll actually find that with all the "sessions" one - that they are in essence parts put together. I think mostly because the quieting ending part is pretty much the same for all of them. At first it struck me as odd but actually now I like it because it means you get to know the sequence for all of the "endings" and don't have to think about how they're different from each other.

Tonight I was going to do the "basics" but then I thought "heck let me try something else" and I went for the energizing one. I felt a little trepidation but hit the play button. Then I swear the very first words she says is "Let us start with Sun Salutations" and I am like "Good God Almighty!!!!" in my mind not out loud smile

And then during one of the Downward Facing Dogs (which I have trouble with) my wrist gave this sharp pain which let loose another word in my mind smile But I made it through that. I really need to build up my arm strength. They just shake like crazy in those poses.

Which I suppose means it was good I went through that ...

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I have found that the only way I can get Dan to do these with me is to pick the shorter ones. the 30 minutes seated hip openers is about the longest he can take. So i have been mixing and matching from the shorter ones. I really like doing the Back Extensions and Standing Poses together.

I am just so pleased he is joining me for these that I cannot complain. smile

I think I will do the Quieting one tomorrow. I watched it a few days ago, and it seems very like a combo of several other sessions.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, I am not sure that feeling a sharp pain in your wrist is a good thing. Everything I am reading about Yoga says you are not going for the Pain. It should be about trying to relax into each pose and breathing into it, I think. That pain is counter-productive?

maybe someone more experienced can pipe in here? smile

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Oh right definitely I realize the pain is not good smile It's happened twice now, both during the downward facing dog pose. I use my wrists a TON when I type all day and know completely that they are in bad shape. I try my best with ergonomic positioning and special rests and such - but really the solution is to not type as much. Also, I need to build up their strength.

So I am trying to work on the poses that let me build up their strength - but both times it went from "fine" to "sharp pain" right away, no warning sign. So I am avoiding those poses for now until I can get my wrists a little more strong.

Also I am really trying not to computer 24x7 all day long without a break. I am trying to deliberately work in breaks. It's very hard for me, I want to be on the computer pretty much non stop because of the volume of projects I have set up. Even my "mental breaks" are here in the forum right now which isn't helping my wrists smile So I have to give myself a mental *and* physical break occasionally.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
You know, Dan has the same problem with his wrists and Downward Facing Dog, and he is also on the computer every minute he is awake. He won't even do that pose b/c of his wrists.

Hmmmm. This is interesting.

Zebra
Zebra
I don't know about that sharp pain--something is probably irritating a nerve. But, one of my yoga books or maybe it was on TV said try to put your weight on your palms & fingers--not your wrists.

And, you also don't want you hands too far out in front of you. I think that could cause wrist pain, too.

Of course, having issues there already might be the only problem, too.

When I waited tables, I used those wrist braces you can get at Wal-mart or Wal-green's for a few weeks until my wrists got strong enough to hold trays of food. They just give you a bit more support.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
My wrists never hurt - for me it's the weight on my palms in a few poses like plank and and side plank. I tried using the blanket and/or rolled up mat for those today - it helped a little. I guess I should try more weight on my fingers next.

Update: I did the Strength/Balance and then Sun Salutations today. Strength is getting better (the planks was easier today). And in the DVD, you do two rounds of Sun Salutations. I found the first round was easier for me than it was the first time, but the second round was still very hard. It was nice when i could just stop moving and end in prayer pose.

Kinda wore me out, but in a good way. I felt all buzzy after that. smile

I think tonite with DH we will do the Quieting.

Last edited by Jilly; 04/14/08 09:34 PM.
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Jill, when you do the plank or down dog, spread your fingers apart and aim the palms a little outward, like 11 and 1 o'clock, not both at 12. Then consciously press down with the fingers, this helps even out the weight and strengthens your hands.
Namaste!

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Yes my goal is to work on plank pose for a while - to build up my arm and wrist strength in a "gentle way". Then once I can do that well I'll add in downward facing dog again, because I think at that point I'll do better with it.

But I do have to be online typing less. It is pretty much all day every day and has been this way for many years, and if I cause permanent harm to my wrists I would be in HUGE huge trouble. I'm sure even small breaks would help. Right now Bob brings me food so the only reason I stop typing is to take bathroom breaks, from when I get up to when I go to sleep smile I don't think the human body was designed for that!

I'll go do some plank poses right now!! Thanks for the suggestions claybird!!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Oo, Claybird, that sounds like a really good idea about placing the palms at 10 or 11pm and trying to weight the fingers. Cool. I will try tomorrow.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, an idea that I have used (A Flylady idea) is to set a timer to go off at the top of each hour you are on the computer. When it dings, you take an off-computer break for 5-15 minutes. Works pretty well on the days i have to do lots of computer work.

Oh, and you might want to take a look at the Office Yoga book to incorporate yoga into your actual work time. smile

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Another update: I did three hard sessions today - the Strength and the Sun Salutations earlier today, and just now, the Standing Poses. I probably don't want to do all those everyday, but I felt really awesome doing it. I felt like a superhero. smile

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wow that is *awesome* Jill!! Just one of those hard ones burns me out smile Good for you!

Low Carb Forum
You people have got me very ready to start this beginning yoga. Where do I get the DVD? and the mat, I saw the mat in one of your posts, Lisa - which one was that?

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Phyllis - if you go to the very first post in this thread here, there's a link to the DVD on Amazon. It's not an affiliate link or anything - just a straight link so you can buy it easily!

I see I didn't have a link to the mat location, on my mat review. I've added it in. Here is the mat write-up and the link is the last post now.

Low Carb Forum
laugh Ok, I got my DVD, Strap and Mat all on my wish list at amazon so next payday I can get them ordered. I am really excited about this now! grin

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Woo hoo!! It really makes it so much easier when others are doing the same thing you are and can offer advice and encouragement. I definitely think this is a relatively easy way to get into motion and to start improving your flexibility and strength!

Low Carb Forum
I am really looking forward to it. I notice that when I get up in the mornings I am stiff and sore - like this morning, my neck is really stiff and the muscles tight. I think yoga is going to help me a geat deal to prevent this, or at least lessen it, by making me more flexible.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Yes definitely I find myself much more limber in normal day to day activities now smile It affects your whole life! I know that sounds like a stretch but really, having a well functioning body just makes your whole day better.

Low Carb Forum
A
A
Good post. Nice information has been shared about the yoga. It will be very useful for the beginners. Yoga is one of the best exercise which gives a peaceful and healthy mind. It helps to relieve us from stress. Many DVD has been arrived for beginners to learn yoga and to know the benefits of different type of yoga. I got more information about the yoga from the yogasuppliesonline.com They are dedicated to yoga and they give any type of information about the different type of yoga. [url=http://www.yogasuppliesonline.com]http://www.yogasuppliesonline.com[/url]

Last edited by Andrew001; 10/19/09 01:32 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I did this DVD tonite, as well as one by Shiva Rea. It was very nice to set up a sacred space and do something slow, physical, and mentally restful

What a day.

I do feel better now.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.