Print Thread
#383230 02/28/08 05:27 PM
K
Kimmi08 Offline OP
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
K
Hi,Sheri. I notice you're in the bulb gardening forum a lot and thought I'd send you a question that maybe you can help me with. I have a small pond and have lost so many fish due to the meandering cats around the neighborhood. After the last episode, the children were so hurt I refused to purchase anymore fish, but now that its warming up, I think I'd like to start again with a couple of fishies. So, question is, what can I do to alleviate the few loose cats around the neighborhood from eating some prized fish? Thanks for keeping the dialogue fresh on the bulb gardening forum. Bye!

Kimberly C. Cannon, Former Bulb Gardening Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Hi Kim,

Hello. Thanks for asking! The best thing to do is create hiding places for the fish. Find rocks, bricks, whatever you can get a hold of to place in the bottom of the pond so the fish have a place to get away from the cats. Don't forget to add some plants. That will give them additional places to hide and add oxygen to the water.
If all else fails put some chicken wire over the top of your pond and be sure to secure it. It won't look pretty but the fish will be safe.

Sheri

Sheri Ann Richerson
Water Gardens
K
Kimmi08 Offline OP
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
K
Way to go Sheri. Thanks. I knew you'd give me a good tip. I was beginning to think I couldn't have them (the lil' fishies) anymore. Keep up the great work and visit me again on the bulb forum. Good night and sweet dreams. P.S. If you could, send me a tip about an algae fish for the pond. Someone at the fish market told me that they can't stay in the pond once the temps fall below 50 degrees. Is that true? Because if it is, I don't have a holding unit for it until spring comes in again. I'll check back in a few days for a good tip. Thanks again.

Kimberly C. Cannon, Former Bulb Gardening Editor
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
Kim,

Hi, the person at the pet shop is right. I always brought mine indoors and put them in an aquarium. Another option is to ask the pet shop if they will buy them back in the fall. If they don't offer cash maybe they would offer you a credit that you could use on something else.

If all else fails you could try to sell them yourself come fall or give them away. Possibly your childrens classroom teacher would want to set up an aquarium for the students to enjoy.

I will be sure to stop by the bulb forum again soon.

Sheri

Sheri Ann Richerson
Water Gardens
C
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
C
Kimberly, how deep is your pond? If it is 18-24 inches deep, goldfish should do fine in there during the winter. Make sure to have a de-icer in the pond to keep the pond from freezing completely over. This helps with gas exchange. Also, keep your stream on for as long as possible. This helps circulate gases back into the water. Don't feed the pond fish when the water temperature is below about 50F. The fish can't process food at that point.

Connie Mistler Davidson-Editor-ADD/Sandwiches/Reading
Attention Deficit Disorder
Sandwiches
Reading
Avatar: Hope~Even when conditions are harsh, hope can bloom.

My EBook link.
Building School Success with ADD EBook Link

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.