Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
Yes LOTR is excellent. I have read the whole lot from The Sillmarillion to the Hobbit and the Rings trilogy, all great, I do agree that reading through the Silmarillion especially, can be tedious, also Tolkien is quite flowery and repeatitive in his descriptions, but it is awesome still.
To read the silmarrilion is to understand WHY the elves are where they are, and how foolish they were to trust Saroun, as he was not the first dark lord but the second! The first was defeated by the Valar, the Demi Gods.

But the Film, though excellent, I was dismayed that Faramir was dipicted as being tempted by the ring, He never did in the book. Also Sam gamgee, Frodo never belived because of gollum that sam wanted the ring, and sam was too loyal to disappear in tears because of gollum. But those aside it was great. When the Elves go to help in the battle of Helms deep it made me cry. what nobleness! Just so those who have not read the book know, One more ship does leave middle earth for the havens, built by Legolas, it takes him And Gimli, who is accepted there because of Galadriel into The Blessed realm. smile
I really did not like the fact that Tolkien made it so that Elf heaven and human death would never meet. I think God can do better than that! smile

Last edited by Eng Culture Nicola Jane; 02/24/08 08:03 AM.

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Originally Posted By: Lisa Low Carb Ed
So he should be upset but not googly-eyed to me. I'll keep trying!

HA HA HA... so next time I watch this, I'm going to be thinking about "googly-eyes" the entire scene!

And you're right about it not being on in the background. I say that I'll just have it on because I love it, and I always end up stopping whatever else it was I was doing to watch the movie.

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Originally Posted By: Eng Culture Nicola Jane
and sam was too loyal to disappear in tears because of gollum.

I have to admit, in the movie I was a bit disappointed in the end when Frodo and Sam were at Mt. Doom, and their friends were outside the gates yelling "Frodo! Frodo!" when they thought they had died. I thought "Do you have ANY idea how much Sam went through to GET Frodo there???" I wished they would have been calling for them both frown

Deanna Joseph

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
AHH yes, you are so right Deanna. I think it is always those who are invisible that do the most and get the least recognition, and then not to be allowed into the blessed realms! That was unfair.
I guess Sam was so humble that actualy he would have yelled Frodo name and not his own too.

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

Shark
Shark
Deanna -- I agree that Sam should have gotten more credit for his struggles. He was indeed no less responsible for their success than Frodo.

Moe -- I agree that it's always more fun to watch the movies with a fellow fan. My favorite experience with this was at the LOTR Convention when we watched one of the first viewings of The Return of the King with a whole theater full of fans. I could really sense the excitement there -- so much cheering and gasping and well, you know how it is.

Nicola -- speaking of Helms Deep, I was overwhelmed with emotion when Gimli told Eowyn that Aragorn had fallen. He just said, "He fell." He really seemed to have a lump in his throat. And Eowyn's crestfallen look was so real. I think the battle of Helms Deep was both fascinating and moving.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
We went to the first viewing of each movie and the theater was STUFFED with fans in each case. The first one of course was the most powerful because nobody knew how it was going to be - if it was going to be complete trash or at least half good.

One moment that stands out clearly is when Gandalf is first coming into the Shire and he tells Frodo that he just gave Bilbo "a little push". The whole audience burst out laughing. It was such a minor line, and there was no context or background or anything - but obviously the entire theater had read the Hobbit, knew the entire story and appreciated the wealth of background that one line hinted at. I laughed myself - and was just SO happy that the whole audience had gotten that reference. I wonder if a "regular viewing" of the movie would have gotten that reaction, because undoubtedly a lot of the watchers would not have read the Hobbit.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Shark
Shark
Yeah, that does seem surprising that the audience seemed to understand that reference. How wonderful!

My daughter and I have seen the movies several times now and there are so many times when a quote from the movie seems so appropriate to a situation. I can't count how many times I've said "They are coming" (Gandalf) and "A fell voice is upon the air" (Legolas), not to mention how often we find people to be "tricksie."

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
I think one of the scenes that moved me so much was from Return of the King - the extended version. When Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli rode into the mountain to find the ghost warriors.

Aragorn had just asked them to pledge their loyalty, and then the three of them were tossed out of the mountain on that mountain of skulls. Aragorn was so forelorn; he dropped to his knees, and Legolas was standing beside him and Aragorn just sort of leaned on him.

I was so moved by the desperation and loss in that scene. For a moment, you could really see that he had lost his last bit of hope.

Deanna Joseph

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Originally Posted By: -Diana-
My daughter and I have seen the movies several times now and there are so many times when a quote from the movie seems so appropriate to a situation. I can't count how many times I've said "They are coming" (Gandalf) and "A fell voice is upon the air" (Legolas), not to mention how often we find people to be "tricksie."

HA HA... we do this too. One morning my husband and I were lying in bed - it was a Saturday morning. We could hear the kids wake up and run down the hall toward us. Then we heard the dog coming running after them. My hubby said "they're coming... and they've brought a cave troll." HA HA!!!

One time I was shoe shopping with my girlfriend, and we were looking for a very specific pair of shoes for her. I was finally the one who found them, and she commented on how difficult it had been. I said "Well I've got the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox." She just stared at me. I asked her if she had seen Lord of the Rings, and she said NO! Can you believe it!!!!! I just rolled my eyes away, a perfect quote totally wasted UGH!

Deanna Joseph

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Oh, and the other one I like is...

"POTAYTO! You know, boil them, mash them, put them in a stew."

Deanna Joseph

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Gillian ClassicalMusic 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.