Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Hmmm....well....maybe the DA if exculpatory evidence had been withheld from the defense. But I don't see how the DA could be held personally liable if they acted in good faith.

Juries simply have to sort things out based on the evidence presented by both the defense and the DA and make the best decisions they can with the information they are given and must exclude any and all information they might have heard about the crime or the defendant that came from outside of formal court proceedings. I believe that most juries act in good faith and would not vote for a conviction unless they really thought the defendant guilty. Hard to jail someone for having the courage of their convictions. And think of how hard it would be to convict any criminals if the people on the jury felt that they could be jailed if they got it wrong.

Sure, juries get it wrong sometimes. Occasionally an innocent person is jailed. But more often the guilty party walks - look at the O.J. Simpson murder case.....now there's a jury that ought to have been tossed in the slammer.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I think that jury, like so many others, was intimidated by the whole thing, not to mention the people involved.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Right I don't think you can blame the jury. They do the best they can do, they don't choose the evidence or testimony. It would really be based on if the lawyers knew of something that *would* clear him and chose to hide it ... or if there was evidence the police should have found but they didn't due to sloppy police work.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Ok, I guess that is all true. I didn't think about that stuff regarding the juries and the DA.

Besides evrybody else already took all of the good things for compensation.

Can I still have my free cable television for life?

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Well I bet if you sold book rights you could certainly get that and much more! smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I'd like to chime in on the jury aspect...

My mom once had to serve jury duty on a murder trial (they don't call it 1st degree here on GA, it's something like murder w/ malice - or something similar, but means the same thing).

She actually had a very hard decision finding the man guilty - although all evidence pointed directly at the man. But she is very anti-death penalty, and she knew that if the man were found guilty, that was the sentence the state would be asking for.

She did finally vote "guilty", but it was a hard decision for her - and it still bothers her.

So I don't think there are many juries that take lightly the decisions they have - whether the penalty is death or life imprisonment.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
That's a good point, I'm sorry your mother had to go through that! I'm surprised they let her on the jury if she didn't believe in the death penalty, since that was one of the options on the table.

Low Carb Forum
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Vance - Crime Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.