Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#379434 02/22/08 07:37 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK do you love Lord of the Rings? I know I do smile I grew up reading the books constantly and had an entire epic story done out in my head of how I was a swordswomen who hung out with Aragorn. That became the basis for my first medieval romance novel, Badge of Honor. I just love LOTR.

I was so worried when the movie came out, that they would destroy my dream. But luckily the movies were made by passionate LOTR fans who literally had pages from the book hung on their walls as they worked to make sure they stayed true to the story. It really shows.

Aragorn is of course my favorite. I had really wanted Daniel Day-Lewis to take the part but Viggo did a quite good job. There's only a few scenes where I think he was a bit off. The one that always sends shivers through my spine is when the hobbits are very first being approached by the Nazgul on Weathertop and they call out "Strider!!!" in panic for his help. That was such an echo of my character in my dreams that it was very powerful. And in jumps Strider, putting his life on the line to protect the little ones.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
I do. And every time I start thinking about it I want to watch them again.

That is an excellent scene you mentioned. One of my favorite is the death of Boromir (Sean Bean). His transition at the last moment to protect the hobbit until the death was very moving. I ball every time.

I love all the characters really. I wouldn't change anyone. I think the movie should have won more oscars.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Well actually the Boromir death scene is one of the ones that always bugs me a little. Not Boromir - but Aragorn when he goes running to Boromir's side looks like he's flailing and being goofy. It always bothered me that he didn't look serious and focused when he friend was dying. I guess I wanted more of the look of Daniel Day-Lewis when he's running through the forest in Last of the Mohicans smile

Low Carb Forum
Shark
Shark
I thought the scene of Boromir dying was wonderfully dramatic, probably one of the best acted scenes in the movie. But I can't stand to watch it after the first time -- it's just so tragic. I always have to fast forward through it.

I never read the LOTR trilogy until my daughter (a teen, then) got me involved. The movie came out and it looked good to me. So I started reading the books. The whole thing became a huge part of our lives for the next several years. The two of us even went to a convention in Toronto. Would you believe I even won a prize in the costume contest? It turned out to be one of the most memorable experiences of my life.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I've never actually liked the books. But then, I don't like Tolkein as a writer - I feel that he needs a really good editor. I do, however, love the Peter Jackson trilogy. It tells the story, doesn't talk down to viewers/readers and doesn't get bogged down in details.

I tend to get howled down by a lot of fellow science fiction & fantasy fans when I say this - but even more have come up to me privately and said they agree.

The Lord of the Rings is probably one of the world's great stories, but unfortunately, IMHO, it's one that really didnt work for me as a book. (Which is different to usual - usually the books work better than movies).

In Australia, we laughed when David Wenham (Faramir) suddenly became a sex symbol - as he'd had that status for a few years over here (he spent a couple of seasons in a show called "Sea Change" where his main costume was a wetsuit....)

Megan McConnell
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Oh these have to be my favorite movies of all time. All time I tell you! I loved how they were so "out there" for so many years. Now there is hardly a reference to them.

I also thought the scene with Boromir dying was intense. And I didn't think Aragorn looked too goofy LOL. I actually thought it looked pretty authentic. How would I look if that were me? Probably totally freaked out, screaming and stumbling along.

There were so many things about the movies that I loved... so many favorite scenes!

D'oh! Now I'm going to have to go put in in and watch it while I'm cruising the forums LOL!

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

Shark
Shark
I myself think Tolkien's writing is very beautiful. It is like art to me. But I would definitely say it can be tedious to read.

I did attempt to read the Silmarillion and got more than half way through but then abandoned it. It read more like a Bible than a work of fiction -- more of a history than a story about characters that you got to know.

The Hobbit is different -- I think it's more like a children's book and is quite entertaining at times. Has anybody read that one?

I know that true Tolkien fans have complained that the movie was not always loyal to the books but I liked most of the changes that Jackson made. I think he had a good eye for knowing what would make the movie good.

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Hi Diana,

I read the Hobbit before I ever read the Lord of the Rings. I LOVED it, and hope and pray that Jackson will make a movie of it too!

I thought the LoTR movies were so fabulous, and since it had been a while since I'd read the book, I couldn't really point out any glaring differences. What I noticed more was things being left out, but figured that was to keep it from being a 40 hour movie LOL (which I wouldn't have bothered me one bit).

I never read the Silmarillion, though I did read some of the poetry from it. I thought it was gorgeous.

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

Tiger
Tiger
We've scheduled watching LOTR in over March Break. smile I asked DH tonight if enough time had passed so we could watch it again. And luckily it has. It's so much better watching it with someone who loves it as much as you do.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I can't watch LOTR in the background - it is something where I turn everything else off and focus on it and only it smile

Yes the Boromir death scene - everything other than Aragorn running - is simply gorgeous. Maybe to me that's why the Aragorn running part stands out so much. I do keep trying to imagine him as "crazed with grief" but it's just not working for me. He's supposed to be over 80 at that point and the veteran of countless wars. So he should be upset but not googly-eyed to me. I'll keep trying!

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Gillian ClassicalMusic 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.