logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#156366 05/06/04 01:27 PM
kirsi Offline OP
OP Offline
The worst vacation I ever went on was years ago before I started travel-writing. My husband and I planned a four day weekend in Mexico. I woke up with a cold the morning we were to leave for the trip. After the miserable 2 hour wait in Customs, we finally made it to our hotel, Solymar. We checked in and were shown to our room with a PARKING LOT view. How romantic. Since the vacation was an all-inclusive package, all of our meals were paid for with three different restaurants to choose from. What melarchy! It was one restaurant that changed names for breakfast lunch and dinner.

We made the most of it and did some site seeing and relaxing by the small pool and had a few drinks. I enjoyed the time I had alone with my hubby and we definitely remember it. I learned my lesson. Research the trip.

So what were some of your worst trips?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#156367 05/07/04 11:32 AM
I went to Brittany, France a couple of years ago with some friends. When we got to our hotel room, (which was quite late) we found ants everywhere, they were all over the beds, and in the bathroom.

However, we were told we couldn't swap rooms, and were given the ant killer stuff which totally stank up the room.

Now i know they're only ants but i dont want them crawling all over me when asleep. They could crawl in your mouth or your ears or something! yuk!

we ended up sleeping on the beach that night, and found another hotel the next day.

#156368 05/16/04 05:34 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Yuck, I don't think I would stay somewhere with ants on the bed!!

I don't mind the view in the room, we usually don't stay in our rooms much so I'd probably draw the curtains and leave it at that. But if I was paying for all-included food I'd be pretty miffed at that restaurant situation!!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
#156369 05/22/04 07:59 AM
I
Amoeba
Amoeba
I
Worse trip ever? My first honeymoon which was in Disney World. Yes, I know that that has to be the strangest choice for "grown ups" when they want to spend their honeymoon relaxing but my husband at the time had never been to Florida.

Anyhow, for just rooms and airfare we paid close to $3,000 for 4 days. No park tickets, no meals, no rental car. When we checked in they made my ex carry all of our bags to our room. I remember packing pretty much my whole closet and him huffing and puffing up the bridge and through the paths and up the stairs finally to our room. The room with twin beds although we reserved a queen or king sized bed - can't remember, it's been a while. But I do remember that I could have lost 15lbs just walking from our room to the bus that takes you to the various parks.

Food was not included so we had only one good meal which was at a restaurant in Epcot Center I believe. Best lobster bisque I have ever had! The rest of the meals remind me of Atlantic City when I went with my grandparents and we went to the buffets. Enough said.

Then again.. the trip to Breezes was kind of awful as well. I guess 2 trips out of many isn't too bad.

#156370 07/16/05 12:18 PM
B
Amoeba
Amoeba
B
I've had a lot of bad travel experiences from traveling across the country and most of them involved the hotel. In Dallas I was in a hotel room that was crawling with roaches...same for a room in Myrtle Beach, SC. In Orlando my room was crawling with ants and really smelled bad. (I somehow seem to attract insects wherever I go, especially mosquitoes!!) In a hotel in South Carolina I booked a "whirlpool suite" which ended up having a thirty year old bathtub with a bubble making appliance attached to it. In Key West, the hostel I stayed at still had someone's underwear in the dresser drawer, among other personal items. If you don't stay in a nice place, the whole vacation can be ruined.

For some helpful hints on how to effectively complain about hotel rooms and make your vacation more enjoyable, check out my articles on how to complain about a hotel room under the Travel Tips and Information section on my site.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I can completely relate to the issue of having crawling ants in some hotels. But, the worse thing that I can recall was on a recent trip to England when there was this unbearable stench. Turned out to be a frisky pet from the other room, which probably made the room into a kennel.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Well Bob and I went to Hawaii on a cruise in December and the largest hurricane they had seen in 30 years hit while we were there, flooded the islands, drove us out of one port, made us miss another port, and we lost power one night smile But it was great fun!

Low Carb Forum
C
Zebra
Zebra
C
I guess, Lisa, a vacation gone wrong in Hawaii is still a pretty good one. grin
We've been very lucky with vacations. I can only think of one where we had some problems but still enjoyed it. It was July 3rd and we went to the beach. We checked into our hotel late and soon realized that the air conditioning was not working. After about two hours of different people coming in to try and fix it (and assuring us each time that it was fixed) we were moved to another room around midnight. Not a fun evening. The next night we put our beach blanket and chairs on the beach early to reserve a spot to watch fireworks, then went to dinner. Came out from dinner to find, storms brewing. Needless to say the fireworks were cancelled and our stuff on the beach was completely drenched and full of wet sand. But we got through it and had fun anyway.

FavoriteTraditions.com
Life's Special Moments
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Yes I was perfectly happy just being around Hawaii and on a cruise ship, I didn't care if we drifted at sea the entire time smile I like to have relaxed expectations and go with the flow.

When I was growing up we used to go winter camping in the snow and such, so I have a very laid back attitude as to what is a "good sleeping environment" smile

Low Carb Forum
D
D
Trip to Cal State Fullerton last year. Why was it the worst? It was the only field trip where it rained all day. So we couldn't explore the campus much, we only got to hang out under the buildings, and we couldn't eat outside. How lame.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Marianne13 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.