logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
OP Offline
N
Have had this constant problem since clinical depression 8 yrs ago. Is this part of it that will never go away? Is it common? I now take no meds but still have pressure type headache always in the same left front area of my brain. It changes only in intensity. When it is bad I must close my eyes and though I am aware of sounds around me, the left side of my brain feels like it is asleep. Have had CAT Scan that showed nothing of concern & sinus was clear. Had some serious issues with the Zoloft my Dr prescribed when I weht through the clinical dep episode. She dosed my first prescrip. at 50 mg a day and 6 months later wrote the prescip. for 100 mg twice a day. I do not recall the next six mo of my life. Stopped taking them all together on my own and messed up my life seriously, but have never trusted another Dr to treat me after that.
These headaches began when I started the 200 mg a day of Zoloft. I truely thought I was losing my mind.
My question is this.: Are the headaches a part of depression? Anyone else experience this type of headache?
Thanks to anyone who may shed some light on this problem.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Zebra
Zebra
Actually, sounds like you might have a migraine. The new migrain meds work very well on mine--Maxalt, Relpax, etc. First time I've found anything that would lessen the pain and allow me to function.

There is some connection with pain/depression--I think Cymbalta was developed for that. I don't think it's just headaches, but might help.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Quote by Nattysgrama: "Are the headaches a part of depression? Anyone else experience this type of headache?"

Hi. I know what you mean about your headache being in your left temporal lobe. I have always had migraines, like BellaDeb was talking about, in one side of my head, being like a migraine. )Usually on the left side). Luckily, I don't have really intensive migraines anymore but I still do have a pain that sits in the left side of my head. It is hard to describe exactly where the pain is, because when it gets worse, it makes my left eye, my left ear, my left jaw, even my left eardrum ache.

So, I want to let you know that I also have the kind of headaches that you have. My head aches but it doesn't usually turn into a full blown "headache". Constant pain, no matter how small it is, can cause depression. There are medicines that can help both the pain and the depression, so I would like to advise you to try to find a doctor that you LIKE, and give him or her a chance to help you get better.

With a problem like we have, (I assure you, we aren't alone!) there are MANY "trial and errors" that doctors have to try before there is one combination that makes you feel better. I believe in doctors and know they are only human, just like us. They don't know everything because there are subtle differences between each person.

It should make you feel better to know that there are other people who have the same kind of pain. I think that I understand what happens in our heads... we all have the same bone structure, muscle bundles, nerve endings, blood circulation and organs, but during creation, some of the placement of these things vary a tiny bit from the "model". wink I think that once a person realizes that there are tiny variations in the body, they can accept the fact some things don't work perfectly or work just like somebody else.

Doctors are trained in what each part of our body is SUPPOSED to do, but they have to do alot of trial and error procedures to find what works best for a person who has a little variation in how their body works. During the worst times of my life, when my migraines were at their worst, my doctors tried heart meds, epilepsy meds, high blood pressure meds, anti-depression meds.... I can't even remember all of the differemt kinds of meds I tried. At first, I felt a little like you and thought they should be able to just "fix me". I was under the impression that my doctor knew everything about my body and my ailment, and could just prescribe the correct meds to make it go away. I hadn't considered the fact that he was only human, too, and didn't know all of the answers.

Luckily, we have the internet now. We can look up all kinds of things and then we can realize the difficulties that face all doctors. However, we can do some of the work ourselves, by talking to others and looking things up on Medline or some other medical site.

I didn't mean to get into so much here but, these last few years, I have been through alot. I had a stroke 3 years ago. I was sent to one doctor to find out WHY I had a stroke. They did tests on my head and my brain. 53 years old, nonsmoker, no cholestrol problems... none of the usual reasons for a stroke. I did learn about my head, all that is in it, and some of the problems that can go wrong in the brain, after I had the stroke. So I was sent to a different doctor to see if the stroke was caused by my heart. More tests and more tests....

During all of this, I was online constantly trying to learn the causes of strokes, what kinds of tests they run after a person has a stroke, what is being looked for and at when they run the tests, which tests come after the first ones, and what and how the tests show. THAT is when I realized that even though we all have similar systems, there are differences. One thing I learned is that certain protocols and certain methods are followed by doctors. Everything that I found about my condition and what should be done, the doctors were already doing. Each test that was recommended, the doctors had already ordered. The possible causes and outcomes were being checked out, according to all the medical journals.

My heart WAS the cause of my stroke. It was a congenital defect. I was able to research what that meant, what the doctors were supposed to be doing, how the problem could be fixed and what the outcome might be. Sure enough, my doctors were on the same pages as me. I was able to research surgery for congenital heart defects and the different ways that it could be corrected. When I met my surgeon, I was able to ask him specific questions and ask about certain kinds of surgery (especially non-invasive). He was surprised that I knew about HIM, knew about the different procedures, even knew about my specific ailment and what was going to be done.

That experience that I lived through just proves that it is better to be knowledgable about what ails you. You are not alone with the pain that you have in the left side of your head, because I have it, too. Most of the time, my pain is managed by meds, and that helps me think about my mom and dad, and how they felt as I grew up. I began to realize that my father, one of his sisters, and his mother had the same thing. My aunt called it "her silly old head" and my grandmother used to have to go to bed, have it dark and quiet. Do you have anyone in your family who has head "aches" like you?

Give your doctors a chance to help you. There are so many new meds that are now available and widely used, and you will have a much better chance of getting some relief, just like BellaDeb said. When you are given one med, if it doesn't seem to work, let the doctor know and it should be changed, NOT increased! So find a doctor and give it a try. Don't be discouraged with your last experience with a doctor because it should be alot different now, or you should look for a new doctor.

Good Luck and I hope that you stay around here. Let us know what is going on with you, what the doctors are trying and how it is working out to help you feel better. Remember that it is pretty impossible to be completely pain free AND depression can accompany any kind of pain. The only thing that I haven't addressed is depression that is manic, because I don't have any experience with that. If you suffer from that, then the topic will be addressed differently, from someone with experience.

I hope that I have helped you understand that you are NOT alone and yes, head pain DOES have something to do with depression.

God bless you and keep us posted.

Trish

N
OP Offline
N
Wow, I am not alone? Thank You both for your posts. Very helpful at least to know its not just me. I have no insurance at the moment so I am stuck with what I can do on my own. I have looked into local low income health care but there is none in the city where I live. I'll do what I can to manage life around this, but I know there has been much deterioration in quality of life as time goes on. Thanks for listening and do appreciate your kindness. Some days are good and some days are just minimal functional. Sad to know what I used to be capable of . But I appreciate this web site and the kindness of strangers.
Bless you & Tks.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Nattysgramma, there are some things that you can do to make the pain less since you don't have insurance right now. The first thing I would suggest is one of the best things that I do when I start to feel the head ache pain getting stonger. I try to relax my head and neck by doing slow circles, both directions, with my eyes closed.

I also, gently massage my forehead and scalp with my thumb and 2 or 3 fingers, lightly and with small movements. If you are at home when this happens, it always helps me to get an ice pack and put it over my eyes and forehead while I lay down somewhere quiet and cool.

It is tough to live with this kind of pain but these few things should help you, as they seem to help me. They will relax your muscles and make the painful spot get smaller. Try to make sure that you don't compensate for the pain by relaxing your head in the direction of the pain. That will only make the "pain" radiate into other parts of your upper body. Also, make sure that your shoulders are relaxed and not hunched up toward your head. wink

Good luck with this and please let us know if any of this helps you. Also, let us know what you do to make it seem better. BT, if sound is making the spot feel worse, you can use a quiet air filter to soothe your nerves and head. I find it very relaxing. smile

God bless you and may He let you find comfort.

Trish

Amoeba
Amoeba
It is also possible that your brain went through withdrawal from the medication! Any clinician should have told you not to abruptly stop taking anything. If the Zoloft was zonking you out then it obviously was way too much for your body. A different medication would be benefical, but we always taper down the first one as a new one is started to prevent the terribly withdrawals some people can experience. Headaches can be a part of depression, the pain could certainly be from migraines...hard to tell without you being evaluated. Catch 22 without insurance... I know how expensive treament can be. Are you able to get on Medicaid or go to the health dept? I am concerned for you. smile

Carissa Vaughn Mental Health Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I know when I first started seeing a neurologist for my migraines, I was told that depression and migraines tend to go hand-in-hand. And a lot of the medications for one tend to cross over into the other side as well.

If medications are absolutely out of the question, then here are some of the best tips I have gotten (and they wrok, when you can take the time to implement them).

1.Cut out caffeine. Caffeine on a daily basis makes both problems worse, however, if you have cleared it out of yopur system - a caffeinated drink can sometimes help get rid of a migraine. But this only works if you don't drink it on a regular basis.

2.Exercise. This helps with the depression more than the migraines, and can feel really hardto do on a down day, but the endorphins from the exercise really do help.

3.Sunlight. Get outside for fresh air and sunshine. i know my migraines take a major swing for the worse when a storm front moves through, but clear days do help.

4. Avoid high sugar, high caffeine, and high preservative foods (especially MSG). Also "smoked" foods like sandwich meats.

5. Add water. Drinking more water can get rid of so many bad things that we take into our bodies. It clears skin, helps with bloating, and regulates metabolism. All these things will help the body feel better.

Nothing I've said is a "magic pill" but things put together can start to make a difference.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.