logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#372993 02/06/08 09:48 AM
F
OP Offline
F
I need ideas for homeschooling an ADHD 9 yr old boy. This is my first year and it's been a challenge. Can anyone help?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
V
Amoeba
Amoeba
V
Hi Foxylady20,

I homeschooled my own son for 2 years and I know it can be challenging.

I now work at a school specifically for students with learning disabilities. The majority of these students have ADD or ADHD also. Many of them were previously homeschooled too.

What we find works the best is to have structure and a routine in place and follow that to a tee. Also, allow your son frequent breaks to get up and move around and get a bit of physical exercise.

When you are asking him to sit and work, particularly any tasks that are more difficult for him, give him a stress ball or fidget toy to play with in one hand while he writes or reads or takes quizzes, ect. Just being able to touch something and have that sensory integration will help calm him and allow him to focus.

Break down tasks into small chunks to be completed. Play to his strengths while working on his challenges. If he is good at drawing, allow him to draw out his book reports. If he can remember things better when they are put to music, help him make up songs to memorize things such as rules or formulas.

Most of all, just make sure he knows you love and accept him no matter who he is.

I hope this helps.

Valerie

F
OP Offline
F
Thanks, that helps. We have good days and bad days. About once a week he decides he doesn't want to do school. How do I handle that without coming down on him. He just shuts down and I can't get any work out of him.

Gecko
Gecko
Hi Foxy-

I homeschool two kids who are diagnosed with attention problems. Here are some things we have found helpful:

start the days with high protein/low sugar and carbs

frequent breaks to stretch and to hydrate (we drink lots of water, little juice and almost no soda)

when they get stuck drifting off, a short burst of exercise can do wonders! Try jumping jacks or a jog around the house.

don't be afraid to be flexible about time of day lessons are done, letting him choose what order to do his subjects in, etc.

good luck!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.